Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
Doesn't the PF have a transmission cooler?
From the factory, R52 Pathfinders are tow-ready up to their stated rating. That said, eTrailer does sell them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
From the factory, R52 Pathfinders are tow-ready up to their stated rating. That said, eTrailer does sell them.
when i bought mine it came standard with the hitch and was told it has a transmission cooler, hmm, is it usually an option? How can I check to see if mine has one?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Every R52 PF (hitch or no hitch) comes with a small transmission cooler. Located between the bumper and the left front wheel well.
There are always higher capacity aftermarkets options.
There is also a fluid warmer and the OEM cooler comes with a bypass valve that opens when the fluid temperature is low. Following this rationale, adding an aftermarket cooler not equipped with a bypass might not be a good idea for cold weather.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had thought that the early R52s did not come standard with the trans cooler. It was added with the hitch when ordering the tow option. Later models (maybe 2015 or 2016) did all come with coolers standard. I could be wrong but I started looking at PFs back then.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
I just went through the 2014 repair manual and it is listed there as an integral part of the system.

·
Registered
2013 Pathfinder SL 4WD
63 Posts
Once about 2014 (I have a 2013 PF SL AWD) I made a wrong turn in West Virginia and had to pull my 5000Lb (loaded) camper up a long VERY steep paved hill on a very hot day. I saw it ahead of me, floored it at about 40MPH and exited the hill at the top at about 40MPH, pedal floored the whole time. Back then I thought a CVT with a chain could not possibly pull a camper and SUV up that steep a hill without braking, amazed I made it with no problems.
Another time in south east Ohio we got caught in a snow storm and I had to pull the camper up a steep hill on Ohio 278, I could feel individual the tires slipping and grabbing but the PF pulled the camper up that one also.
So the PF can do it... as long as something doesn't kick in to stop it!
(I have 148,000 miles with about 14,000 towing, no problems so far.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once about 2014 (I have a 2013 PF SL AWD) I made a wrong turn in West Virginia and had to pull my 5000Lb (loaded) camper up a long VERY steep paved hill on a very hot day. I saw it ahead of me, floored it at about 40MPH and exited the hill at the top at about 40MPH, pedal floored the whole time. Back then I thought a CVT with a chain could not possibly pull a camper and SUV up that steep a hill without braking, amazed I made it with no problems.
Another time in south east Ohio we got caught in a snow storm and I had to pull the camper up a steep hill on Ohio 278, I could feel individual the tires slipping and grabbing but the PF pulled the camper up that one also.
So the PF can do it... as long as something doesn't kick in to stop it!
(I have 148,000 miles with about 14,000 towing, no problems so far.)
Wow. We just got about 50k on the clock and had 3 CVT, 2 TQ and 1 transfer case replaced. I am about to run out of warranty. I just had the dealer change the CVT, I am praying they did it right. What is your maintenance schedule like?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts