Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I have a 2019 Pathfinder SL (rockcreek if it matters). Today I got stuck in a hill, towing our 4000lbs camping trailer. I was in low gear, 4wd going at 12 mph when it started slowing. All the way to 0 mph. I was flooring the gas pedal all the time and the rpm remained at almost exactly 2000rpm all that time. What disturbs me is that the tire never slipped. Not once. Its as if the PF just refused to send power to the wheels.

What happened? Is there something I could have done to add power to the wheels?
I was lucky that a neighbour offered to bring our camping trailer to the top of the hill... is there anyway to configure the PF to make that hill, or do I have to change car (I have four young kids, which reduces my choices...) Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
558 Posts
Did you try it in 2wd mode? Reason I ask is, as far as I know, 4x4 mode disables itself at speeds above ~10-15mph.

Also like suggested above, id try disabling traction control as well.

I doubt the transmission was slipping. It sounds like throttle control was being taken away from you for some reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was not paved, it was on dirt. And I did remove the traction control. I might have made a bad km to mph conversion, I was going at 20km/h which is closer to 10 mph.

From my point of view, it was like having the computer refusing to get more power to the wheels, regardless of how I pressed the gas pedal.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,412 Posts
Same thing happens in this video, jump to 7:30

It is frustrating to have a "4WD" vehicle get stuck in a little hill.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did you have tow/haul mode enabled?

Reactions: cathib007

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had tow mode enabled. I was in LOW “gear” position, 4WD and had disabled anti-slip. When it stoped and tried re-enabling anti slip, putting the drive to D instead of low, with and without hill assist. But it would not move anymore, and the rpm was still staying at 2000 when I floored it.
Its supposed to be a CVT, is there anyway to make use of it, instead of the CVT faking gears...

·
Super Moderator
2,412 Posts
Hill assist is only for descents. I used it once on the 401 to go down a hill covered with ice, everyone else was parked and didn't want to risk it, the hill assist did a great job.

I guess the computer just kills all power to the wheels when it cannot get traction in any of them. I wonder if letting it idle and then suddenly flooring it would have made a difference, like not giving the computer a chance to react. I have been able to burn rubber with the TC off and 2WD mode.

This might be a good thing to ask Nissan about, with the traction control off we should be able to get wheel spin. Send them and email to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an answer from my mechanic at nissan. They think the transmission might have over heated and switched to low power to prevent premature wearing. But without a real time view on the transmission temperature, its impossible to tell.
Anyone ever got an overheated transmission? What’s the symptoms?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Were you towing for some time before this situation happened?

Just trying to get a handle on the potential of the overheated CVT idea.

Like said, I would have figured some type of warning message or CEL would appear if the situation was sever enough to render the vehicle useless.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,285 Posts
Might be time to check the CVT oil level.

·
Registered
287 Posts
How steep was the hill? I've gone up some steep descents in my 15 pathy and even when not towing, it struggles. You forget this is a CVT transmission driven by a chain, a chain....a regular transmission with planetary gears is way more durable under stress than a chain. Sounds like physics to me. The vehicle will not be able to do that with 4000lbs. Get a dually pickup. The steepest hill I went up in mine I had to go up sideways in one direction. I've also bounced over bumps at highland low speeds the moment that traction loses control the transmission will refuse to let the horses run wild until momentum is slowly gained or a dead halt is performed. All this tells me the transmission is protecting itself. This is a family car, I've done much work on mine to make it the most capable vehicle I can, but at the end of the day that CVT transmission is the weakest link in that vehicle, Xtronic or pre-2017 doesn't matter. Even if a programmer hacked the TCM to change shift points and what not it goes against all the safety programming put into it to make the transmission reliable in the long run. This is my two cents.

Also on another note it is my assumption that the 4WD disabled in Auto mode when the CVT reaches a critical temperature. I've had mine disable at random intervals, it has to be a thermally related event. The rear differential and interconnect at the tranny are not designed for full-time duty. Get a Toyota for that or a 4WD Titan

I'd assume there should have been a warning message on the screen.
I've never seen a tranny code cause a dash light or MIL to engage

Anytime I had a tranny code it was the dealer that had to pull it. Regular OBD2 is not related to transmission I believe.

·
Super Moderator
2,412 Posts
Wasn't referring to a code, more of a warning.
Somewhere I read that you get one if the 4WD magnetic coupler overheats... but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I few days ago i was driving in the most steep road I ever have driven, and the PF was struggling I floor it,and it didn't accelerate, that thing freaks me out, I was scared i couldn't make it to the top and it was a paved road.

It's a really capable truck, cause I have drive for some hard terrains and it drives like a champ, but it seen steep road are not their thing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I still believe what's being described here is some type of stability control or traction control trying to take over and not a mechanical problem with the vehicle.

I hear you that you have these features disabled by pressing the appropriate buttons, but I'm not sure doing so disables everything.

Again, just throwing this out there until we figure a way to really disable all the nanny safety controls.

·
Super Moderator
2,412 Posts
Agreed. The TFL video shows exactly what happens.

I still think that if you let it idle and then stomp it with the TC off, it should move or get wheel spin. I've been tempted to chain the PF to a tree and replicate the issue... but then I remember s*&t happens when you do stupid things and I change my mind.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Agreed. The TFL video shows exactly what happens.

I still think that if you let it idle and then stomp it with the TC off, it should move or get wheel spin. I've been tempted to chain the PF to a tree and replicate the issue... but then I remember s*&t happens when you do stupid things and I change my mind.
Got to let it idle before you can try and accelerate again that's what I meant to say. The transmission control module is limiting a lot of capability, but for what reason?
I will try some hills and see if I can get mine to do a backflip lol. Or we can have cybertruck tow challenge with another Pathfinder 13' and up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have faced this issue, the PF 2016 with 4 people onboard refused to climb a hill. Waited for about 15 mins and it climbed the hill with ease. Spoke to my local mechanic and he mentioned that transmission may have heated up. My PF had done about 55K kms and the CVT oil was never replaced (i am the second owner). Got the CVT changed and havent faced the issue again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts