Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed a strong smell coming from my exhaust. After doing some searching around I noticed my power steering fluid is extremely low and the pump is making a winding noise.

Anyone else experiencing power steering problems in their new pathfinders?

Going to be calling Nissan tomorrow to have it checked out.

Only 9009 miles on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw lots of post about the noise being normal. Crazy part was never heard it until now. So maybe once they fix it the noise will go also.

I got my service appt for 8am tomorrow. We will see what they say then.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is there fluid leakage or smoke coming from the engine bay? There is also a power steering warning icon on the dash that will light up should there be an issue with the system. I've had 2 different Nissans now with this electro-mechanical power steering system. Problems are rare, but they tend to (appear to be) underfilled slightly from the factory. You're supposed to only use Nissan EPS fluid (electronic power steering).

I'm wondering if the noise you hear is from the high pressure direct injection fuel pump that's only a foot or so away from the PS pump assembly. The cam driven DI pumps are quite loud and clattery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No leakage that I saw on my garage floor. Also no visible smoke from the engine bay. The idiot light is also not illuminated.

The fluid is bone dry! I dont know what is going on with it. I will be taking it in for service in a couple of hours.

I only drive it on the weekends.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is odd that there's nothing in the fluid reservoir and no signs of leakage, but these systems don't hold a lot of fluid to begin with. Like said, I'd hate to drive it as-is, but I'd let your dealer service manager make that call. None of this should be on you for a 2019 with 9K miles on it.

Like you say, I've found them to be pretty silent. Just a slight pump/motor sound with the hood up if you're really listening for it.

Nissan EPS fluid was like $20/qt at the dealer last time I checked. I mail-ordered a quart for our previous Nissan to do a few suck out and refills of the reservoir. The reservoir only holds a few ounces of fluid so one quart goes a long way. I actually added an ounce or two to our 2019 Pathfinder because the res looked a bit low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called the dealer to see about an update. They said they are still working on it. Not sure what is going on I guess.

They hope to get me a better update soon.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess the positives are that it's fixed and you've still got lots of warranty left. Like I say, I haven't heard of any problems with this system in the 3-4yrs I've followed Nissans like this, but I still find it an odd ball system.

Pretty much everything now has an 100% electric power system where a motor drives the steering rack, where our Pathfinders sill use a hydraulically driven rack and pinion. Only difference is instead of an engine driven PS pump, we have an electric motor driven hydraulic pump. Kind of dumb IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts