Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I need some help, some advice, something... I have commented on someone else's post here a while back for the same situation (but mine has only got worst since then.)

I have a 2019 Pathfinder I bought it in 2019 with only a couple thousand miles on it. Fast forward to a year and a half the car acts funny, gauge revs when sitting in the carline to get kids or at stoplight (honestly started to sound like a motorcycle), randomly jumps around while driving, and so forth. We have got brand new tires on it, we changed the oil when it was supposed to especially when it began to stutter and jump ad that's when it all went downhill.

So six months ago I turn my car on and it's smoking heavy white smoke from the tailpipe, large billowing thick white smoke coming from the tailpipe. My husband takes it up they change the oil again and the oil filter and it doesn't work there's still large amounts of smoke when I turn on my car, when I break even the littlest bit too fast, and every time I turn right... I don't know why only when I turn right but it does.

So were at Bill Ray Nissan in Lake Mary Fl I am explaining to them everything. The engine is knocking hard, the car is stuttering, the car is jumping, my gauges are going crazy, and not to mention the larges clouds of smoke coming from the tailpipe... even smoked out their garage so there is no denying that it is smoking. They text me two days later saying that the engine had a whole bunch of engine sludge, how a two-year-old vehicle has engine sludge so bad that it is doing this I still do not understand. They changed the oil and the oil filter AGAIN and said it should be fine. I didn't have my car more than 3-4 hours before it started acting way worst than when I brought it in. They informed me that the only thing they can do is to do an engine flush or drive it until it burns off. This by the way is at 36,000 miles.. we asked about the warranties because this seemed to be way more than just an easy fix.

Everything you read about white smoke out of the tailpipe is bad. But they really would not even hear the words power train warranty they basically said no the only thing is engine flush or drive until it burns off. So when it got super bad that day I drove it right back up there asked again about the warranty and nope engine flush, I have three kids I have to pick up so I have no choice. I hand it over and thousands of dollars later my car is back to me with a text saying no more smoke come get the car, I got home no smoke, great, but later when I headed off to soccer practice still once again large amounts of smoke. So I called up there and they said you're just going to have to drive it until it burns off, thought wow ok rude but ok.

I'm no mechanic maybe they're right. It's six months later still smoking and I'm fed up with it. we have had so many people try to stop us thinking our car was on fire. we have had the oil changed every 3,000 miles as they suggested too. I took it back up there a week ago letting them know it is still smoking the engine is still knocking, the car is still jumping and they telling me right now they can't do anything to help us about it because of lack of maintenance "neglect" they called it. We were in contact with Nissan USA they told us to take it back to them and they can help us from there. But now they're both saying this. I have all proof of the two times they had my car for days, the text messages from them, and the paperwork when I drove off it saying it my car was 100% good to go. Proof of oil changes. So when I asked does anyone in your incompetent department even know what is wrong with my car they only said sludge in order to really find out we would have to take the engine apart and that's expensive... So how can they say it's sludge, just sludge they're really not even looking. They don't want to deal with it or foot the bill for what they didn't fix the first time. Oh, that was the other thing they told me to drive it off to burn it, well now they're saying that because I did that I caused too much damage to other parts of the engine that they don't even know yet...BECAUSE THEY WON'T LOOK.

They want me to get a whole new engine in my car that is 2 years old. I'm so done with Nissan and come to find out there are many lawsuits out there with people having similar if not the same problem as I am. This is ridiculous and I do not know what to do anymore, I still owe on it because it's 2 years old and now I have to come up with an absurd amount of money to get an all-new engine. Isn't this the reason people get new cars so we don't have problems that exist in older ones? I'm at a loss. Are there more out there on this forum that is having issues like this..?

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,832 Posts
I apologize for editing your post, but it was too hard to read in it's former form.

My first question would be, did you ever think to try another dealer other than Bill Ray Nissan? The quality of dealers in Nissan's network varies widely. It troubles me that Nissan USA wouldn't back you up, but perhaps that vehicle had been neglected before you bought it, since you bought it used. I'd try opening a case using another dealer and see what happens.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,093 Posts
Sorry to hear.
If you can prove you've changed the oil at the recommended intervals, they should be replacing the engine under warranty. If Nissan corporate denies it, might be time to get a lawyer involved.

I always did my oil changes a the dealer while the vehicle was under warranty to prevent a situation like this.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,136 Posts
I've lost count of how many times I've read of this exact same experience in regards to the VQ35DD engine (2017+ pathfinder). I'm guessing at about 12-15 instances at this point in the ~2yrs I've been following it and that's only the ones we see online.

The pathfinder is far from a high volume vehicle. I would think that every Nissan shop has seen this problem by now given this series of engine is also used in the Murano, Maxima and Infinity QX60 and they've been out there for 5yrs now. As far as I know we only have one Nissan shop tech here who pops in from time to time here and I don't believe he's seen this on a VQ35DD yet.

I'm not buying that this is solely on a lack of oil changes. Almost every instance I've read of, this problem crops up right around 2-3yrs and 36K miles. A 2019 engine shouldn't do this even if it's had only 2 oil changes in 36K miles (that would be one every 12K miles). As horrible as it sounds and I don't recommend it, today's oils and engines should be able to tolerate that. If it had 70K+ miles of 12K oil change intervals, I could see things going south at that point.

Given the smoking while making a turn leads me to believe oil is pooling in the upper intake manifold. To me this sounds like a PCV system problem with these engines. If the crankcase can't breathe properly, sludge is going to build up under the cam covers, etc and give the appearance of lack of maintenance. The time frames and mileage involved just don't fit typical lack of maintenance.

I know I've been paranoid with my 2019 and since I bought it 1yr old with 25K miles, I've been doing my own oil changes with synthetic 5w30 every 3-4K miles and I poke around and peek into the oil fill hole for signs of sludge. Nothing. Currently at 57500 miles. So far so good I think..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I need some help, some advice, something... I have commented on someone else's post here a while back for the same situation (but mine has only got worst since then.)

I have a 2019 Pathfinder I bought it in 2019 with only a couple thousand miles on it. Fast forward to a year and a half the car acts funny, gauge revs when sitting in the carline to get kids or at stoplight (honestly started to sound like a motorcycle), randomly jumps around while driving, and so forth. We have got brand new tires on it, we changed the oil when it was supposed to especially when it began to stutter and jump ad that's when it all went downhill.

So six months ago I turn my car on and it's smoking heavy white smoke from the tailpipe, large billowing thick white smoke coming from the tailpipe. My husband takes it up they change the oil again and the oil filter and it doesn't work there's still large amounts of smoke when I turn on my car, when I break even the littlest bit too fast, and every time I turn right... I don't know why only when I turn right but it does.

So were at Bill Ray Nissan in Lake Mary Fl I am explaining to them everything. The engine is knocking hard, the car is stuttering, the car is jumping, my gauges are going crazy, and not to mention the larges clouds of smoke coming from the tailpipe... even smoked out their garage so there is no denying that it is smoking. They text me two days later saying that the engine had a whole bunch of engine sludge, how a two-year-old vehicle has engine sludge so bad that it is doing this I still do not understand. They changed the oil and the oil filter AGAIN and said it should be fine. I didn't have my car more than 3-4 hours before it started acting way worst than when I brought it in. They informed me that the only thing they can do is to do an engine flush or drive it until it burns off. This by the way is at 36,000 miles.. we asked about the warranties because this seemed to be way more than just an easy fix.

Everything you read about white smoke out of the tailpipe is bad. But they really would not even hear the words power train warranty they basically said no the only thing is engine flush or drive until it burns off. So when it got super bad that day I drove it right back up there asked again about the warranty and nope engine flush, I have three kids I have to pick up so I have no choice. I hand it over and thousands of dollars later my car is back to me with a text saying no more smoke come get the car, I got home no smoke, great, but later when I headed off to soccer practice still once again large amounts of smoke. So I called up there and they said you're just going to have to drive it until it burns off, thought wow ok rude but ok.

I'm no mechanic maybe they're right. It's six months later still smoking and I'm fed up with it. we have had so many people try to stop us thinking our car was on fire. we have had the oil changed every 3,000 miles as they suggested too. I took it back up there a week ago letting them know it is still smoking the engine is still knocking, the car is still jumping and they telling me right now they can't do anything to help us about it because of lack of maintenance "neglect" they called it. We were in contact with Nissan USA they told us to take it back to them and they can help us from there. But now they're both saying this. I have all proof of the two times they had my car for days, the text messages from them, and the paperwork when I drove off it saying it my car was 100% good to go. Proof of oil changes. So when I asked does anyone in your incompetent department even know what is wrong with my car they only said sludge in order to really find out we would have to take the engine apart and that's expensive... So how can they say it's sludge, just sludge they're really not even looking. They don't want to deal with it or foot the bill for what they didn't fix the first time. Oh, that was the other thing they told me to drive it off to burn it, well now they're saying that because I did that I caused too much damage to other parts of the engine that they don't even know yet...BECAUSE THEY WON'T LOOK.

They want me to get a whole new engine in my car that is 2 years old. I'm so done with Nissan and come to find out there are many lawsuits out there with people having similar if not the same problem as I am. This is ridiculous and I do not know what to do anymore, I still owe on it because it's 2 years old and now I have to come up with an absurd amount of money to get an all-new engine. Isn't this the reason people get new cars so we don't have problems that exist in older ones? I'm at a loss. Are there more out there on this forum that is having issues like this..?
I've always believed that white smoke meant a blown head gasket or some type of leak causing coolant to enter intake manifold. Could be a faulty EGR "stuck open" allowing too much exhaust gas in manifold as well. I am surprised that Nissan techs did not consider it. If thats the case, they should change the engine free of charge! They are either lying, stupid or both.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, I need some help, some advice, something... I have commented on someone else's post here a while back for the same situation (but mine has only got worst since then.)…

They want me to get a whole new engine in my car that is 2 years old. I'm so done with Nissan and come to find out there are many lawsuits out there with people having similar if not the same problem as I am. This is ridiculous and I do not know what to do anymore…
I think you mentioned hiring a lawyer. Before you do that, go on the web to your state’s attorney general page. They may have a consumer protection division, or an entirely separate agency. Contact them and inquire about your state’s Lemon Law. They will advise you if you have grounds for filing a claim.

As a last resort, you might even want to search the web for other Nissan-related lawsuits and contact the law firm(s) involved. Perhaps they might take your case as a class-action suit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts