Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank's, watched video. So yes i agree its probably not necessary snd also not desirable!

·
Registered
21 Posts
... All I have suggested is there are aftermarket fluids available for this application if you choose not to use the OEM product. What ever that reason my be; No Nissan parts counter nearby, don't wan't to pay the cost of Nissan NS-3, etc.
Based on things I read about BG products and their CVT fluid change (and CVT transmission warranty), I went to the nearest BG vendor, which happened to be a Mercedes-Benz dealership. The service advisor strongly recommended against using anything other than Nissan OEM CVT fluid in the Pathfinder. Remember, this was coming from someone who stood to profit from a potential sale of his product.

This M-B advisor also recommended the newer Pathfinders like the 2017 and on (with the newer V-6) despite the reputation of the CVT. He said as long as you change the CVT fluid at factory recommended intervals (or sooner, especially if subjected to "hard service"), the CVTs will last.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I haven't heard of BG products for Nissan CVT applications, nor would I use them. Nothing against your MB guy, but everyone is entitled to their opinion on this. My posts above are my opinion. My aftermarket CVT fluid comments are based on experiences from folks I know and folks I've been chatting with for years on other boards.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder SL
14 Posts
This forum is amazing. I've been meaning to change my CVT fluid for about 10k miles now and this post is what made me finally go do it. This is as easy as it gets for a transmission fluid change! Folks noted that the hardest part is removing the dipstick cap, I did not find that to be the case. A long, skinny, flathead screw driver and shining a light into the hole to see what how the tab needs to bend, and pop, it was out. The hardest part for me, I'm a portly fellow. Finding an area that had enough slope to put the front end high enough, but be level, required a bit of thought.

~Raybies

·
Registered
2017 Nismo
125 Posts
I have 2 of these to do. 1 for the Yota which just hit 90k. And the PF which just hit 60k. Not really looking fwd to it. But I have all of the tools so it shouldn't be too bad. I may need to find a funnel with that small of a exit tube though.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,478 Posts
I was going to attempt changing the fluid and filter but could not find a way to measure the transmission temperature which as explained here, is important to determine when to drain the excess fluid. I tried the torque app, method 1 and 2 with no luck. CVTZ50 didn't work with my OBDII reader.
@PoManzPathy , how did you do yours? Did you just add the same amount that came out? Since I plan to change the filter, I'm not sure that would be the best method.

I'm also struggling to remove the cap...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
jman, all I do is drain them cold, engine off, vehicle on a reasonably level surface and refill with the same amount that drained out. With my 2019, it's a gallon. I have checked level from the level check bolt with the engine idling and the pan reading between 95-113degF with an infrared temperature gun. As long as you've got dribbling, you're good. No dribble, it's low. Gushing, she's too full. I know this method of checking temp is only ball-park, but it works and I'm not scared. LOL. I'm only at ~37K miles with my 2019 and don't plan to drop the pan or change the external filter for quite some time, if ever.

In terms of the charge pipe cap? Yeah, those are a total knuckle buster. You can buy a cap removal tool online. I wrestle mine off with a small flat blade screw driver. Here's the tool TECH-MATE

Reactions: jman

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well just looked at my cap, its under some air ducting, very difficult to get at. cant get my hands down far enough to use a small flat blade.
Do you know if you can buy the tool from Nissan parts ?
Dip stick looks good but $213 ++

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I actually wore down the little plastic nub on my charge tube cap to the point it doesn't lock anymore. Friction between the O-ring and inside of the metal tube holds it in place now just like a normal engine oil dipstick.

Just to clarify, it's not the locking tab that defeated me. It's the non-lubed O-ring that sticks inside the tube which generally makes these caps a total bugger to remove. Sometimes you get lucky.. I'm not one of those guys. LOL

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would sugest a silicone grease lubricant would fix this without causing any issue. apply sparingly, the good stuff, silicone vaccum grease, isn't cheap.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That's exactly what I put on them once I get them freed up. I have a jar of 3M silicone paste I use.

·
Registered
58 Posts
jman, all I do is drain them cold, engine off, vehicle on a reasonably level surface and refill with the same amount that drained out. With my 2019, it's a gallon. I have checked level from the level check bolt with the engine idling and the pan reading between 95-113degF with an infrared temperature gun. As long as you've got dribbling, you're good. No dribble, it's low. Gushing, she's too full. I know this method of checking temp is only ball-park, but it works and I'm not scared. LOL. I'm only at ~37K miles with my 2019 and don't plan to drop the pan or change the external filter for quite some time, if ever.

In terms of the charge pipe cap? Yeah, those are a total knuckle buster. You can buy a cap removal tool online. I wrestle mine off with a small flat blade screw driver. Here's the tool TECH-MATE
I tried to buy the tool, wouldn't let me get an account. tried as guest, put everything in CC no etc, then got error 500, whatever that is.

Reactions: PoManzPathy

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It does look like that tool is about impossible to find now.

A year or so back I saw them on eBay by searching that part number shown on the yellow handled one.

Regardless, you should be able to work them off with a small, slim flat head screwdriver.

·
Registered
58 Posts
called Tech-mate today, part is out of stock till sept 29th.
managed to make account on computer. still gave error 500 when tried to purchase.
will try in few weeks.

Re cvtz50.
documentation says need elm v1.5 not 2.1
so ordered cheap one on Amazon, they had choice v1.5 or 2.1
will try on demo and give update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
well the CVTz50 has connected

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is the ELM unit

Reactions: jman

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, did you guys know about this...
  • Deterior. – CVT Fluid Deterioration, value in brackets shows deterioration increase during current CVTz50 session (corresponding Consult-II parameter: CVTF DETERIORATION DATE)

41 - 60 of 65 Posts