Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this vehicle a few days ago. It's first 9 months and ~22K miles were in rental service. I did it's first CVT drain and fill today. I do them cold and 4qts come out. Here's what the fluid looked like compared to new:

·
Super Moderator
3,960 Posts
Couldn't help but notice you captured it in a jelly jar. Are you going to spread it on your toast?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So what do you recommend for pathy's in regular use ? up to 12k now.
Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I personally like to do 2 drain and fills on them before ~36k miles, then I do a drain and fill every 20k miles or so.

My reasoning is they're easy enough to do on these vehicles and NS-3 can be had reasonably by mail order.

While that used fluid looks bad in a clear glass, if you put a drop on a clean white rag it doesn't look as bad. Just kind of dark greenish.

The hardest part of the job is releasing the stupid locking cap Nissan puts on the refill tube. It takes some fiddling and knuckle skinning to remove it the first time.

Changing this fluid gives me a warm n fuzzy and I sure hope the next owner appreciates it! Lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shoot.. my 19' just hit 5k i suppose i should keep an eye on this.
I'm not sure how many miles/year you drive, but I'd give it some break-in time before I did the first drain/fill on it. I did my 2019 right away because it was a rental and had ~22K miles put on it in 9 months.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not sure how many miles/year you drive, but I'd give it some break-in time before I did the first drain/fill on it. I did my 2019 right away because it was a rental and had ~22K miles put on it in 9 months.
Oh right, good call. I'm not that bad. I'm hoping to stay near 15k a year. I'll definitely hold off for now

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the second 4qt spill and fill on it today.

What drained is not quite as dark as the original fluid, but not discernible by picture. A clear greenish color on a white towel blot test. This blue fluid turns green as soon as it's put to use which is odd given the older version NS-2 is dyed green.

Now that I've run 8qts through it, I'll let it be for a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. When it got down to 10 deg my 2017 PF trans was acting up. It has 30000 miles. When letting off the gas instead of coasting it would slow down quickly like and engine brake. I drove down the road and warmers up and it worked fine. It acted up again this morning when cold and tonight it was 40 degrees and it seemed fine again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts