Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
679 Posts
The all-seasons should work fine for me 99% of the time.
I agree. With the little bit of winter you get, you'll be fine, even with the PFs setup. I think people mistakenly think PFs are AWD. They are not. Like mentioned, they have a very simple, rudimentary system where the ass-end is kicked in if front wheel slip is detected. The rear tires aren't kicked in by varying degrees either. It's all or nothing like flipping a toggle switch. It's not a harsh system. It is smooth, but it's definitely not fancy AWD.

If you get lots of winter, today's all seasons, especially when they're low profile, no sidewall style tires/wheels totally blow, even with AWD/4x4.

What I've found over the years and it's really gotten bad on vehicles like Subarus where (surprisingly) their winter time prowess is highly touted is, the OEM puts, high fuel economy all-seasons on their vehicles. The last few Subarus I've owned (2012, 2014 and 2016) were so bad in winter conditions with the factory all-seasons that it was like they didn't have AWD.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Many of us bought the PF because of what you said, you get a lot for your money, but I wouldn't buy it again, at least not while they come with a CVT. Peace of mind and better sleep is what I'm after.
100% agree and in the same boat as you @jman - starting to look what my next car will be and Nissan is at the bottom of my list, with the timing of Covid i have held onto the pathfinder longer that i would like and even if the new pathfinder comes with a 9 speed auto, i won't be rushing to be another guinea pig for Nissan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
100% agree and in the same boat as you @jman - starting to look what my next car will be and Nissan is at the bottom of my list, with the timing of Covid i have held onto the pathfinder longer that i would like and even if the new pathfinder comes with a 9 speed auto, i won't be rushing to be another guinea pig for Nissan.
What kind of problems have you had with your Pathfinder?

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,393 Posts
What kind of problems have you had with your Pathfinder?
Do a forum search with the name "mercina". You'll get an eyeful, lol!

Reactions: mercina

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just completed my third Pathfinder rental in the last month. This time it was a 2020 SL model from National. Out of the 24 cars available in the Executive Aisle for selection, 7 of them were Pathfinders! With the dated styling, known transmission issues and heavy rental use it's no wonder the resale on these things is poor!

My previous rentals were both SV trim. The leather and power rear door were nice in the SL, but I don't think I would pay the extra $3-4K in the used market to move to that level of trim. Maybe I'm missing some other factors that would make it worth it?

Again, the two things I like the most about the vehicle are the comfort on long drives and the adaptive cruise control. I drove 600 miles yesterday and my back was not sore on arrival. I actually think the cloth seats in the SV might be a little better on a long drive but there was certainly nothing wrong with the leather.

These are a few quirks and things that I don't really like after driving three different Pathfinders a total of 3K miles:

1. The version I had this weekend always reverted to the map screen every time I shut off the car. Maybe there is a setting for this but it's a little annoying to have to select audio every time I get in.
  2. The charging plug ins in front of the gear shift are hard to get at.
  3. I accidentally turned on the heated seats because the buttons are in a high traffic area in front of the gear shift and easy to bump.
  4. The buttons to switch radio stations and control volume are on the left side of the steering wheel and the buttons are not next to each other which seems strange. Even my old 2005 Explorer had this figured out at a much higher level.
  5. It's too easy to bypass D and move the shift lever to L when putting it in gear.
  6. The keyfob is a disaster.
  7. My wife says it looks like a minivan! She's right, the curved lines give it a minivan look. It's just missing the sliding doors.
Even with the problems, I'm still considering a purchase of a Pathfinder. They are reasonable and the SV trim fits my basic wants. I have been waiting to make a purchase because of a house refinance which closes Thursday. If I'm going to buy a PF, it's likely that it happens next weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just completed my third Pathfinder rental in the last month. This time it was a 2020 SL model from National. Out of the 24 cars available in the Executive Aisle for selection, 7 of them were Pathfinders! With the dated styling, known transmission issues and heavy rental use it's no wonder the resale on these things is poor!

My previous rentals were both SV trim. The leather and power rear door were nice in the SL, but I don't think I would pay the extra $3-4K in the used market to move to that level of trim. Maybe I'm missing some other factors that would make it worth it?

Again, the two things I like the most about the vehicle are the comfort on long drives and the adaptive cruise control. I drove 600 miles yesterday and my back was not sore on arrival. I actually think the cloth seats in the SV might be a little better on a long drive but there was certainly nothing wrong with the leather.

These are a few quirks and things that I don't really like after driving three different Pathfinders a total of 3K miles:

1. The version I had this weekend always reverted to the map screen every time I shut off the car. Maybe there is a setting for this but it's a little annoying to have to select audio every time I get in.
  2. The charging plug ins in front of the gear shift are hard to get at.
  3. I accidentally turned on the heated seats because the buttons are in a high traffic area in front of the gear shift and easy to bump.
  4. The buttons to switch radio stations and control volume are on the left side of the steering wheel and the buttons are not next to each other which seems strange. Even my old 2005 Explorer had this figured out at a much higher level.
  5. It's too easy to bypass D and move the shift lever to L when putting it in gear.
  6. The keyfob is a disaster.
  7. My wife says it looks like a minivan! She's right, the curved lines give it a minivan look. It's just missing the sliding doors.
Even with the problems, I'm still considering a purchase of a Pathfinder. They are reasonable and the SV trim fits my basic wants. I have been waiting to make a purchase because of a house refinance which closes Thursday. If I'm going to buy a PF, it's likely that it happens next weekend.
One thing of the few things i dislike about my SV is the stupid adaptive cruise. Sure wish i could turn it off! The cruise on this vehicle in general is terrible imo. Varies mph 3-4 lower than set but if you go 1/2 mph high down hill it hits the brakes and again slows below your set mph. Terrible.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
679 Posts
Was just talking to my wife about the CC on our 2019 SV model.

She's put about 11K miles on it since October 2019 and hasn't used the cruise control even once. LOL. Was hoping to be able to add some insight there. I don't think I've driven it even 100 miles and definitely haven't used the cruise.

We bought it as an ex rental w/ 24K miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,393 Posts
I use the cruise all the time, even when I probably shouldn't. Drives my wife crazy. I find no problems with it except that I have to bump the speed up on steep hills because it doesn't maintain the speed well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find no problems with it except that I have to bump the speed up on steep hills because it doesn't maintain the speed well.
Same issue, but find when you put in sports mode, or maybe overdrive off for you guys, it manages to maintain speed going up the hills

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I haven't experienced the speed variations with the cruise that some of you are seeing, but I have been on pretty flat roads. All in all I like the adaptive cruise because it works even when there is heavier traffic.

One other thing I have noticed about this vehicle is the mileage can vary a lot depending on weather conditions. I have found 23-24 MPG to be pretty common when driving all highway miles but I did have a tank the other day where I only averaged 17.5. This was all highway miles as well but into a stiff wind. All vehicles will vary some under those conditions but a 25% reduction in mileage seems extreme.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How about just setting the cruise... get up to your desired speed and hit set, let off gas and mph drops 3-5 before it brings it back up to where you set it. Cars following you love that...

I always hated the guy that can't maintain steady speed on highway but the path has made me realize it's not always the driver!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
To close the loop on this, I did not end up buying a Pathfinder.

About a month ago Hertz had several low mileage 2020 SV trims for sale at good prices. The closest Hertz location that had them was about 280 miles away. They had 5 SV's with less than 12,000 miles that interested me. I called and made an appointment to get there on a Saturday. They called back a day or two later and said that all of the Pathfinders had been purchased, I believe by Carmax. I suppose I could have started looking at Carmax inventory but I wasn't about to pay $2-3K more for the same vehicles that Hertz had previously listed for sale.

So, it was back to the drawing board. I spent 2-3 weeks looking at used but didn't really find anything at an acceptable price. The used market has really shot up the last couple of months and prices are inflated on vehicles.

I did talk to a local dealer about new. This dealer is across the metro area from me but was offering a lifetime powertrain warranty which I thought made sense with the CVT. They quoted me about $7K off MSRP on a new SV but I could get almost $11K off on a new GMC Acadia from a dealer 5 minutes away so I went with that. I'm not a big tech guy in cars but the Android Auto and Apple Car Play in the Acadia and 9-speed automatic were too good to pass up when the bottom line prices were close for other similar features.

Thanks to all of those that answered my questions while I was looking and good luck with your Pathfinders.

·
Super Moderator
4,393 Posts
Thanks for the update and good luck with your Acadia.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts