Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 2018 Pathfinder SV and also a Keystone Bullet with slide out (unladen 4570 lbs). I’m adding est. 800lbs “food, gear...” So far towing has been a breeze but I really haven’t taking any trips that I’ve had more than light to moderate inclines. I’ve been a bit worried about going through any routes with moderate to steep in inclines (ep the Adirondacks).
1) Thoughts on transmission settings. “Auto - Tow Mode” Overdrive “on or off”?
2) Has anyone towed a similar set up on steep hills/inclines

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
Really the only references I've seen with folks towing something the size of your setup has been here. I haven't towed with my 2019, it's not even setup for it, but I know I'd turn OD off in harry situations. I live in a super hilly area and I prefer to turn OD off just for climbing the mountains, etc. It's nice in really bad snow conditions too.

For your TT, I'd keep tow mode on all the time and toggle OD off for bigger inclines/declines. If fact, for speeds under 60mpg, I might be inclined to keep OD off the whole time.

I don't get to drive our PF often, but when I do, I find it annoying how the CVT advances itself into high range too soon and lugs the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really the only references I've seen with folks towing something the size of your setup has been here. I haven't towed with my 2019, it's not even setup for it, but I know I'd turn OD off in harry situations. I live in a super hilly area and I prefer to turn OD off just for climbing the mountains, etc. It's nice in really bad snow conditions too.

For your TT, I'd keep tow mode on all the time and toggle OD off for bigger inclines/declines. If fact, for speeds under 60mpg, I might be inclined to keep OD off the whole time.

I don't get to drive our PF often, but when I do, I find it annoying how the CVT advances itself into high range too soon and lugs the engine.
Thanks, I always use tow mode when towing the rig and generally turn overdrive off but would like to try and leave it on it speeds 55 to 65 just to see if I could improve the gas mileage

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
I hear you there. Every MPG you can gain is a bonus when you consider the near single digit MPGs pretty much anything will do when towing a heavy TT. I'd toggle the OD off and back on as needed the whole trip. Like you say, try to keep it on in that ~60mph range. 65mph would be white knuckle territory for me with this setup in traffic.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,398 Posts
Tow mode should stay on all the time while towing anything significant. It helps preserve the brakes on hill descents.

I don't use OD at all for anything, so cant comment.

In my experience towing a 4500+ lb. gross weight trailer with my 2013 Pathfinder with 1000 lbs. less towing capacity than yours over the past 6 years, I find that the vehicle handles mountain climbs rather respectfully. We have camped in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, Acadia in Maine, the Lake George area of the Catskills and the Green Mountains of Vermont with no issues. Just stay in the right lane on hill climbs, keep the tac about 4500 rpms and use flashers if you drop below 50 mph. You'll be fine.

Reactions: DMZpathfinder
1 - 5 of 5 Posts