Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, you may remember my first post, when we purchased the PF a month ago. Today getting off the highway, it was shaking, shuddering. The check engine light was blinking, but by the time I got to a code reader a few miles away, it was fine. Code reader said no codes. Bought it as-is from dealer, but we still have factory warranty. Do I call our local Nissan dealer? Can they find something that regular code readers can’t?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer I spoke to said it’s easier to diagnose if the check engine light stays on, but their software can pick up other things specific to Nissan. She also said that it might need a software update... so now I don’t know if I should wait to see if it happens again, or just take it in and risk a “can’t duplicate” 😒

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. Now I’m nervous, even though the light went off. I do doubt that it’s just needing a software update though

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello, you may remember my first post, when we purchased the PF a month ago. Today getting off the highway, it was shaking, shuddering. The check engine light was blinking, but by the time I got to a code reader a few miles away, it was fine. Code reader said no codes. Bought it as-is from dealer, but we still have factory warranty. Do I call our local Nissan dealer? Can they find something that regular code readers can’t?
The dealer has to pull the tranny code auto parts store so don't have it, it's proprietary so to speak. Also your check engine light will not come on for a transmission fault, hence why they need a special computer, this is what I went through with mine. Mine has 180k miles and it's shuddering as we speak but it's been doing it for a while, I am about to replace a bad CV axle and replace some badly worn out control arm bushings, maybe my "shuddering" will go away, after all those components can cause shuddering while accelerating.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I made an appointment with the dealer for tomorrow. Now I’m nervous, even though the light went off. I do doubt that it’s just needing a software update though
Unless you did a battery reset the computer will hold a history of the code being activated, never a good idea to clear codes while troubleshooting.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The dealer I spoke to said it’s easier to diagnose if the check engine light stays on, but their software can pick up other things specific to Nissan. She also said that it might need a software update... so now I don’t know if I should wait to see if it happens again, or just take it in and risk a “can’t duplicate” 😒
Also that software update they are referring to only adds a code that helps them diagnose the shuddering problem, it doesn't fix ****.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, no code is showing up. Well, except for one about sonar 🤷*♀ They asked if it was bad fuel, but I hadn’t put any in since this time last week. They’re running a few more diagnostic tests, but without a code, I just have to wait.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, I responded to this awhile ago, I guess it never posted. My bad. The dealer determined I got some bad gas. They told me if it happened again, they would take a fuel sample and send it out. She has been well behaved. In an unrelated issue, they found a sensor malfunctioning, that constantly caused the car to brake, the sensor in the front, I don’t even remember now, something about object detected, cruise control off, etc. I just thought it was really annoying. So they fixed that under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, I responded to this awhile ago, I guess it never posted. My bad. The dealer determined I got some bad gas. They told me if it happened again, they would take a fuel sample and send it out. She has been well behaved. In an unrelated issue, they found a sensor malfunctioning, that constantly caused the car to brake, the sensor in the front, I don’t even remember now, something about object detected, cruise control off, etc. I just thought it was really annoying. So they fixed that under warranty.
I have a 2015 Pathfinder which first started showing signs of shudder/judder about 20k miles which was about two years ago. Went to the dealership, they could not replicate the problem and there were no codes. It got severe starting this year when I reached 50k. Changed transmission and brake fluids, rotors and pads replaced, wheel alignment done but the problem remained. There was some serious shudder on slow speeds(20-35 mph) and while turning. I went for a routine oil change to the dealership when I had 58765 miles, the tech experienced the shudder and was able to reproduce it more than once, at will while taking a turn. There was a code this time, P17f1. The link to the TSB is TSB. The problem is the belt slipping while changing gears. The service personnel told me that I should get it fixed before the warranty runs out. I was under the impression that the warranty was 3 years/36000 miles but he told me Nissan has extended it to 60k miles because of this issue. As per the TSB, the fix for this code is to replace the transmission Sub Assembly. Had the code read P17f0, the whole transmission needs to be replaced. He said he needs one day to carry out the repair work and provided a loaner. As promised, the car was ready in a day and the tech did an extensive test drive of about 100 miles before certifying the fix. Upon asking the tech as to why the sub assembly and why not the whole transmission, he mentioned Nissan has come up with a better design of the sub assembly late last year and that's why the problem persisted in previous cases where the transmission was replaced. I have driven the car for about 70 miles since then and there problem seems to have gone, no shudder and butter smooth drive at slow speeds and turns.
Hope this post helps, I'm happy to answer any questions. Will also post a copy of the repair work and parts involved soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts