Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've had my 2018 Pathfinder for about 2 years now and I've seen all the forums and videos about the faulty brake switch and CVT judder; this appears to be something different.
It's had a replacement transmission already and brake switch/relay was determined to be fine.

I only have one way out of my neighborhood, which is a main highway with no onramp, just a hard left turn. This means that basically every morning I have to do a pretty hard acceleration (Or wait 5-10 minutes for a suitable gap) to get onto the highway safely.

When I have around 1/4th tank of gas, hard accelerations just... don't work. It takes off well, but about halfway through my turn it will often cut power entirely in short burst. Hard on, engine brake, hard on, engine brake. Not only does it likely cause powertrain damage to have power delivered in such a violent way; it's very dangerous. For a solid year I was genuinely scared to make that turn, for fear of losing power and getting rear ended or worse.

After the dealership replaced a transmission, front sensors (They were faulty, slammed on in traffic when a puff of smoke blew past the front), fuel sending unit and fuel pump, the issue seemed to go away.. For about a week, and then it came back. Eventually I put two and two together, and found that if I keep it at around 1/2 tank, the issue doesn't happen.

To confirm this, I kept it much more filled than normal and the issue went away for about 8 months until I forgot and DTE read 80KM. Sure enough, that morning I nearly died entering traffic. I have now been another 8 ish months without it happening, and I've been filling my pathfinder at about 120KM DTE.

Has anyone else experienced this? It just feels like there's no baffles in the tank so when I hard accelerate in a turn all the fuel sloshes to one side and starves the engine. Straight line acceleration is fine. It's less of an urgent issue and I no longer am scared to enter the highway in the morning (unless I notice my DTE is less than 100KM), but I still always have that worry in the back of my mind- so much so that I check my DTE every morning before entering traffic.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the third report of this issue but do not recall seeing a solution for it.
Interesting. Has anyone reported inaccurate fuel level reporting? I have also been left stranded with nearly a quarter tank, even after a replacement fuel sending unit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this issue as well. But I also had loss of pressure in the lines, Nissan confirmed it was the fuel pump. Will be changing it this weekend on my own to confirm. I also have a hard start issue when sitting which pointed to the fuel pressure loss.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
Loss of pressure in which lines? On the 2017+, the electric fuel pump supplies the high pressure cam driven pump on the engine. It's a two pump system with very high fuel line pressure into the cylinders.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
I have this issue as well. But I also had loss of pressure in the lines, Nissan confirmed it was the fuel pump. Will be changing it this weekend on my own to confirm. I also have a hard start issue when sitting which pointed to the fuel pressure loss.
Follow the procedure stated in the repair manual, there is something about bending a tube that you need to watch for.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Follow the procedure stated in the repair manual, there is something about bending a tube that you need to watch for.
Is there a link on the site for this repair on a 2017+?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I've had my 2018 Pathfinder for about 2 years now and I've seen all the forums and videos about the faulty brake switch and CVT judder; this appears to be something different.
It's had a replacement transmission already and brake switch/relay was determined to be fine.

I only have one way out of my neighborhood, which is a main highway with no onramp, just a hard left turn. This means that basically every morning I have to do a pretty hard acceleration (Or wait 5-10 minutes for a suitable gap) to get onto the highway safely.

When I have around 1/4th tank of gas, hard accelerations just... don't work. It takes off well, but about halfway through my turn it will often cut power entirely in short burst. Hard on, engine brake, hard on, engine brake. Not only does it likely cause powertrain damage to have power delivered in such a violent way; it's very dangerous. For a solid year I was genuinely scared to make that turn, for fear of losing power and getting rear ended or worse.

After the dealership replaced a transmission, front sensors (They were faulty, slammed on in traffic when a puff of smoke blew past the front), fuel sending unit and fuel pump, the issue seemed to go away.. For about a week, and then it came back. Eventually I put two and two together, and found that if I keep it at around 1/2 tank, the issue doesn't happen.

To confirm this, I kept it much more filled than normal and the issue went away for about 8 months until I forgot and DTE read 80KM. Sure enough, that morning I nearly died entering traffic. I have now been another 8 ish months without it happening, and I've been filling my pathfinder at about 120KM DTE.

Has anyone else experienced this? It just feels like there's no baffles in the tank so when I hard accelerate in a turn all the fuel sloshes to one side and starves the engine. Straight line acceleration is fine. It's less of an urgent issue and I no longer am scared to enter the highway in the morning (unless I notice my DTE is less than 100KM), but I still always have that worry in the back of my mind- so much so that I check my DTE every morning before entering traffic.

Thoughts?
i just posted a problem similar to yours but not quite the same. My PF will falter and sometimes die when taking off from a stop, also, like yours, when the fuel level is low. It ia really worrisome that a Nissan dealer can't figure this out.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just posted a problem similar to yours but not quite the same. My PF will falter and sometimes die when taking off from a stop, also, like yours, when the fuel level is low. It ia really worrisome that a Nissan dealer can't figure this out.
I haven't confirmed the actual cause of the issue, but I believe it's due to poor baffling in the fuel tank. Problems don't exist at all unless the tank is 1/4 or less.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Like said, the 2013-2016 and 2017+ have different fuel delivery and pressure management systems. If this is indeed an issue with the in-tank fuel pump loosing prime somehow, the issue should be easy to see for any competent shop. They can trend fuel pressure, etc.

The big question is, this isn't a wide spread problem. Interestingly enough, the fuel tank itself is covered for 8yrs/80K miles per federal emissions warrany. Not sure how that works for Canada though.

·
Registered
2018 PF SV-Tech 4WD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like said, the 2013-2016 and 2017+ have different fuel delivery and pressure management systems. If this is indeed an issue with the in-tank fuel pump loosing prime somehow, the issue should be easy to see for any competent shop. They can trend fuel pressure, etc.

The big question is, this isn't a wide spread problem. Interestingly enough, the fuel tank itself is covered for 8yrs/80K miles per federal emissions warrany. Not sure how that works for Canada though.
May throw torque back on my phone and see if I can log fuel pressure myself, do a pull with low fuel and see if it drops off. Don't like doing it on purpose though, as I'm sure it causes untold damage to the drivetrain when it fuel starves.

Unless my fuel tank was shipped without baffles, I doubt they'd replace it under warranty and I honestly doubt that would do anything.

·
Registered
683 Posts
May throw torque back on my phone and see if I can log fuel pressure myself, do a pull with low fuel and see if it drops off. Don't like doing it on purpose though, as I'm sure it causes untold damage to the drivetrain when it fuel starves.

Unless my fuel tank was shipped without baffles, I doubt they'd replace it under warranty and I honestly doubt that would do anything.
You should be able to see fuel pressure readings on a more advanced scanner.

I hear you on the fuel tank replacement, but it would depend on how a Nissan shop diagnoses and goes about the repair to weather they could get the tank covered or not. If this is indeed a fuel tank problem, I don't see how a new tank wouldn't fix this problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts