Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a post about a 2017 pathfinder and timing chains about 2 months ago.
In that post someone said that VQ35DD needs to come out to replace chains.
I have a 2016 manual that says it can be done in vehicle.
I took the chain cover and chain off with the engine in the vehicle but the cover was difficult to get out.
Seems not the ideal for getting it back in with sealant in place.
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,098 Posts
It may have been me that stated the engine must come out. I wouldn't think the 2016 VQ35DE manual would be much different in this regard than the 2017+ DD's manual, other than the fuel injection system, lower intake manifold, cylinder heads, etc.

Like you say, there's always other ways to work around access and fitment issues other than what the factory service manual says. Sometimes it's a heck of a lot faster and less expensive. Other times, not so much. Like you say, I think being able to be sure to do a good RTV job is the key to this and will require all that work to be done again if it leaks.

I'm more interested in what happened with your DD's timing chains?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunno, just poor maint. by originaI owner I guess.
I expected to find a broken guide, but guide seems fine.
Chain was super loose and tensioner was fully extended.
New parts supposed to be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What made you go after pulling the cover off? That job is going to absolutely suck with the engine in the car.

Are you replacing all three chains? The rear cover has paper gaskets on the back where when they blow out, you can see them hanging down and results and nearly no oil pressure.

I would think you'd find something obviously wrong since there isn't much slack even with the tensioner in all the way.

Make sure you get all of the o rings to replace and I'd replace all of the yellow feet on the tensioners. The valve covers may have to be removed to replace the cam chain tensioners on those, but I can't remember now. They def do on the 4.0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts