Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently I noticed my 2017 PF sputtering while in Drive when I'm stopped at a red light.

My wife and I looked around to see if it was someone with a loud stereo with death metal music and subwoofers blasting... but nope, it was the engine/exhaust making the noise.

I put it in Neutral and the RPMs increased and the sputtering stopped. Put it back in Drive and the RPMs dropped and it started sputtering again.

It has 33,000 KM on it and I've only ever changed the oil.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
RPMs drop a bit when in Drive and that could be the trigger, engines vibrate more when they go below certain RPMs.
Start with what YOU can diagnose, look for a loose heat shield or other components.
Since you are under warranty, next step is to go to the stealership.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm, I shouldn't need to clean the TB already, only has 33,000 KM on it (2017).

I used to do this monthly on my 2000 Grand Cherokee that was at 200,000 KM before I bought the PF.

I'll take a look though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What fixed it I have the same issues

Hm, I shouldn't need to clean the TB already, only has 33,000 KM on it (2017).

I used to do this monthly on my 2000 Grand Cherokee that was at 200,000 KM before I bought the PF.

I'll take a look though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i've experienced this same sputtering too. 2017 with not even 14,000 miles on it.

what was the final word on this, steve?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dealer found nothing (no codes), it still happens here and there, im at 40,000 km now.

it's so random, and doesn't show on the RPMs... not sure what it would even be.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When it's in the conditions where the sputtering happens, are the RPMs different than when it doesn't sputter? I'm wondering if there's a defective engine mount.

FWIW, we had 90K miles on our 2016 Nissan Quest which has the same basic engine/CVT drivetrain as the PF and was smooth as butta with never needing to clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, the RPMs are not impacted at all with or without sputtering. It's more of a bump bump bumping in the transmission as we can feel it more below us than infront.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would have a look under the hood, with the vehicle idling in drive with the parking brake set, wheels cocked and somebody in the driver's seat. Just to see if you can see/feel the vibrations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts