Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got stranded yesterday about 3 miles from the house. 2.5 years with my PF with no issues. I started thru a traffic light and the motor stumbled a little then stalled. I was able to roll into a center lane out of traffic flow, put it in park and try to start. The engine would start then immediately stall. Called AAA for a tow. When the tow truck came, the driver said he was a mechanic. He said it was acting like the MAF sensor was an issue even though I had no check engine light on. He disconnected the MAF sensor and the PF started right up but now I have the check engine light on. He said I could drive it home like that but I didn't trust it. I asked what would happen if we plugged in the cable and he said it would probably stall. It didn't. He drove it up the flatbed tow truck and we took it to Nissan. 3 months out of warranty - go figure. $125 just for the diagnostic test. What a rip off. Anyway, I find out today what the diagnostic test says. Nissan tells me if it's the MAF sensor, it will be $500-$600 to replace. I don't think so. Told him I would probably replace it myself. He said it would be better for them to do it so I get a genuine Nissan OEM part. I laughed and said "because this one lasted so long". He chuckled some too on that.

Anyone have a suggestion on what brand and where I should purchase a new one? I see them online anywhere from about $90 to $230. I've always liked Bosch sensors but I don't know if they make one from the PF.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
Just seems odd to me. I've never known of a MAF sensor that will render a vehicle dead. I've heard of this sometimes with MAP sensors. Usually the engine will default to pre-programmed air/fuel ratio trim values off a stored table of data when it can't read the MAF or MAP.

I wouldn't fret the diagnostic charge provided they did a proper diagnosis which would rule out other potential causes. A good diagnosis is gold.

Wish I could help on the MAF sensor! Its likely some of the aftermarket ones are the same manufacturer as OEM.

I would imagine the 2017+ MAF is going to be different from 2013-2016, given the different engine.

Reactions: eruby

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diagnostics came in. Looks like it is the MAF Sensor. The sealer wants $486 to replace it. It's 2 screws on the airbox. I can get an Hitachi MAF sensor for under $50. Anyone know what Nissan uses for OEM sensors?

Oh and they are telling me I need Fuel Induction Service for $120. What's involved with that? Something I can do myself? Kinda sounds like it if they are only charging $120 for that service.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,522 Posts
Will they deduct the diagnostic fee from the repair? If so, it might be a good idea to let them do it and you get a warranty on that.
If you decide to do it yourself, definitely go for a known brand.

I have no idea what the induction service entails, never done, never will.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd take the risk on the $50 MAF.

The dealer induction cleaning is probably a can of throttle body cleaner and a wipe around the throttle plate with a clean rag.

Something you can do yourself for $5.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The OEM sensor is Hitachi, I have my original if you want to buy it I have a jet chips performance one installed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The OEM sensor is Hitachi, I have my original if you want to buy it I have a jet chips performance one installed.
Thank you but I ordered a new Hitachi off Amazon yesterday for $30. Be here today.
I also bought a can of MAF Sensor cleaner. In researching this, a mechanic for another auto manufacturer mentioned they have never had a MAF sensor failure. He said they just need to be cleaned but many dealers will just sell the customer a new one. I picked up the car yesterday from the stealer. Everything running fine and no code. Probably try cleaning the original first but keep the new one in the car. Looks like a simple job to replace - even if I had to do it on the side of the road.
Also bought a bottle of Fuel System cleaner to dump in the tank. Read online about the induction cleaning and it appears to be a direct insertion of a liquid cleaner into the motor at a slow pace. The article said it's about $10 of product and 20 minutes of shop time so that makes sense why they are charging $120. The article also said it should be done at 60K miles. I just turned 30K so maybe I'll let them do it at 60K.

·
Registered
683 Posts
True that it's usually a piece of fuzz, dirt, bugs or oily goo on the thin, fragile wire that's does the actual sensing on the MAF sensor.

When you clean around the throttle plate with a rag and cleaner, just make sure to have the ignition off and the FOB well away from the vehicle so you don't mess up the E-throttle position calibration. Not sure how sensitive this issue is with our PFs, but I know on some E-throttle vehicles, if you try to work the throttle by hand with the ignition/engine on, it can mess with things.

I would never pay for a dealer "induction cleaning". About the only intake type cleaning I'd consider is if the intake valves carbon up badly on the DI engines our 2017+'s have. That's a bigger job and requires removal of the intake manifold and manual cleaning of the valves. This is an issue with DI engines where there's no fuel to wash across the intake valves to clean them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK 1 more question. There are 2 different MAF sensors for the 2017 PF. 22680-3VA0A for engine code VQ35DE and 22680-BV80V for engine code VQ35DD. Where do I find the engine code for my PF?

·
Registered
291 Posts
OK 1 more question. There are 2 different MAF sensors for the 2017 PF. 22680-3VA0A for engine code VQ35DE and 22680-BV80V for engine code VQ35DD. Where do I find the engine code for my PF?
Enter your VIN on the Nissan website where you shop for parts. Unless you find it on the engine somewhere.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Was the price different between the DE and DD engine MAF sensor?

I know shops have to keep the lights on, but to charge $500-600 as quoted for this 5min job?

I get it that do diagnose the root cause correctly takes a little time and some very expensive equipment, but jeez.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I know shops have to keep the lights on, but to charge $500-600 as quoted for this 5min job?

I get it that do diagnose the root cause correctly takes a little time and some very expensive equipment, but jeez.
Yeah I can't believe they quoted me $486 for a $30 part and 15 min job. And they would have made we wait several hours to complete.
There was a $10 difference between the 2 sensors on the parts page but still doesn't explain the high cost. I already paid $125 for them to diagnose the problem. That would total over $600 if I let them do it. And they wonder why we call them stealers instead of dealers.

·
Registered
291 Posts

installing the typhoon intake from K&N gives you instructions on how to replace the sensor lol. just download those from the K&N website. I can post pics of mine unless you can find them on the forum somewhere I posted. Its just two Phillips screws, i recommend a stubby handle screwdriver as space can be limiting.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Count me in on MAF issues. Just hit ~38K miles on my 2019 PF and the bride frantically calls me at 9pm while she's out and about in the car. "Car is shaking, has no power and a bunch of lights are on". All I saw in the pic she sent me was the check engine light, the stability control light and the front collision avoidance light (for what ever reason).

Since she was right near our Nissan dealer I suggested she try to get it there and I'd meet her.

I got there, started it and it had a stumble with just a steady CEL. I revved it up a bit and it cleared right up. Drove it around the lot and scanned for codes. Only a P0101, associated with the MAF sensor.

Drove it ~7 miles home and it was fine. I cleared the code. Will try removing and cleaning the MAF sensor tomorrow. Almost 35yrs of vehicle ownership and I don't think I've ever had a MAF sensor problem. Definitely not on such a new and well maintained vehicle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Count me in on MAF issues. Just hit ~38K miles on my 2019 PF and the bride frantically calls me at 9pm while she's out and about in the car. "Car is shaking, has no power and a bunch of lights are on". All I saw in the pic she sent me was the check engine light, the stability control light and the front collision avoidance light (for what ever reason).

Since she was right near our Nissan dealer I suggested she try to get it there and I'd meet her.

I got there, started it and it had a stumble with just a steady CEL. I revved it up a bit and it cleared right up. Drove it around the lot and scanned for codes. Only a P0101, associated with the MAF sensor.

Drove it ~7 miles home and it was fine. I cleared the code. Will try removing and cleaning the MAF sensor tomorrow. Almost 35yrs of vehicle ownership and I don't think I've ever had a MAF sensor problem. Definitely not on such a new and well maintained vehicle.
Simple to remove, clean and replace. Mine didn't even throw a code. It would start then stall immediately. I called AAA and the driver said he used to be a mechanic. He started it and immediately said it was the MAF. He unplugged it and it started right up. Since he was already there, I had him take it to Nissan who charged me $125 to diagnose it was in fact the MAF. I ordered a new MAF sensor but also bought MAF sensor cleaner and just cleaned the original. I carry the new one in the boot. No issues since.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks. I popped the sensor out to have a look at it this AM. Like you say, it's a 5min job. The hardest part for me is usually figuring out how to pop the plug connectors off, but this one is a simple squeeze and pull thankfully.

I could see zero debris or contamination on the business end of the sensor, nor do I see where/what bits you'd even clean on it. The air filter was seated properly and is in good shape yet. I assume you just spray out the whole business end of the sensor and hope for the best.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had posted this problem on another board I frequent and apparently Nissan has a TSB in regards to this problem for 2017-2019 Pathfinders: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173557-0001.pdf

Sorry if it's been posted. I'm sure I'll be chastised if it had. LOL

I haven't has a problem since that one incidence. I haven't received my replacement MAF sensor from Amazon yet either.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had posted this problem on another board I frequent and apparently Nissan has a TSB in regards to this problem for 2017-2019 Pathfinders: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173557-0001.pdf

Sorry if it's been posted. I'm sure I'll be chastised if it had. LOL

I haven't has a problem since that one incidence. I haven't received my replacement MAF sensor from Amazon yet either.
Thanks PoMan. I have not seen this. This is a programming issue so I'm guessing we may see it again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts