Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2017 Nissan pathfinder, that I bought a year ago in June 2020. It had 35k miles and now has 50k miles. I have done 2 oil changes. There is a knocking noise that is coming from the engine, which Nissan now says its a timing belt that has gone bad because of sludge due to lack of maintenance, i do still have 2 warranties, but both have been denied b/c of the " lack of maintenance". The pictures they have showed me.. i showed to a mechanic friend and she says that's the engine looks discolored as if it had gotten very very hot at one point, the black that is in the pictures he says doesn't look like sludge but carbon build up, he says that the " sludge from lack of maintenance" couldn't have been done by me in the last year.

has anyone had any similar problems.. does anyone know if there is an appeal process to dispute this... or do i even have anything to dispute?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
This might give you more info: 17 Pathfinder 36,500 needs new engine Have cross-checked your maintenance records against the warranty booklet for precise intervals? As for appealing, with whom are the warranties? IF one is Nissan, there is corporate. Those aftermarket outfits are something else (BTDT)

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,237 Posts
I have 2017 Nissan pathfinder, that I bought a year ago in June 2020. It had 35k miles and now has 50k miles. I have done 2 oil changes. There is a knocking noise that is coming from the engine, which Nissan now says its a timing belt that has gone bad because of sludge due to lack of maintenance, i do still have 2 warranties, but both have been denied b/c of the " lack of maintenance". The pictures they have showed me.. i showed to a mechanic friend and she says that's the engine looks discolored as if it had gotten very very hot at one point, the black that is in the pictures he says doesn't look like sludge but carbon build up, he says that the " sludge from lack of maintenance" couldn't have been done by me in the last year.

has anyone had any similar problems.. does anyone know if there is an appeal process to dispute this... or do i even have anything to dispute?

thanks in advance
Not sure we're going to hear back from you, but as mentioned, have you pulled a carfax for your VIN# to check for oil change records?

Was your 2017 Pathfinder a previous rental? If you did two oil changes in the 15K miles you owned it, that's beyond Nissan's 5000mi oil change interval recommendation, so unfortunately right there they have a way out of warranty coverage. Plus you've owned it for a year now.

If you search the innerwebs, you will find many cases of 2017+ Nissan Pathfinders and Infinity QX60s suffering this same fate. My theory is 2017 is the first year for the new direct injected engine and these engines turn their engine oil jet black in a very short period of time. This leads me to believe these engines are hard on oil and under no circumstances should you go beyond 5000 miles between oil and filter changes. I'm so paranoid with my 2019 that I bought at a year old with 24K miles on it as a previous rental, that I don't exceed 3500mi between oil changes and I use synthetic 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 0w20. I believe 5w30 is a little more robust.

Maybe try another dealer or shop and do your best trying to sweet talk them into writing it up such that one of your warranties will cover it. You gotta be calm, cool and persistent and keep working your way up the chain with management with the begging, pleading on how much you love Nissan. How they've always been good to you and you want to keep buying them and using their service, etc.. LOL

There is no timing belt on these engines. They use a timing chain. Your only way out with no warranty coverage is to source a good used 2017+ engine. Prices are insane on them from what I am seeing right now. $5000 for a used engine and you're looking at another $1200+ for labor and incidentals.

The other way out would be to see what you could get for the vehicle as-is in trade-in allowance. With used car values as they are today, this is what I would do before I put $7K into a 5yr/old Nissan product. I'm sure a dealer would figure out a way to get warranty coverage on a new engine for a trade-in like this, turn around and sell it for profit. You'll have to pick something out on their lot that you can live with for this to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure we're going to hear back from you, but as mentioned, have you pulled a carfax for your VIN# to check for oil change records?

Was your 2017 Pathfinder a previous rental? If you did two oil changes in the 15K miles you owned it, that's beyond Nissan's 5000mi oil change interval recommendation, so unfortunately right there they have a way out of warranty coverage. Plus you've owned it for a year now.

If you search the innerwebs, you will find many cases of 2017+ Nissan Pathfinders and Infinity QX60s suffering this same fate. My theory is 2017 is the first year for the new direct injected engine and these engines turn their engine oil jet black in a very short period of time. This leads me to believe these engines are hard on oil and under no circumstances should you go beyond 5000 miles between oil and filter changes. I'm so paranoid with my 2019 that I bought at a year old with 24K miles on it as a previous rental, that I don't exceed 3500mi between oil changes and I use synthetic 5w30 as opposed to the recommended 0w20. I believe 5w30 is a little more robust.

Maybe try another dealer or shop and do your best trying to sweet talk them into writing it up such that one of your warranties will cover it. You gotta be calm, cool and persistent and keep working your way up the chain with management with the begging, pleading on how much you love Nissan. How they've always been good to you and you want to keep buying them and using their service, etc.. LOL

There is no timing belt on these engines. They use a timing chain. Your only way out with no warranty coverage is to source a good used 2017+ engine. Prices are insane on them from what I'm seen right now. $5000 for a used engine and you're looking at another $1200+ for labor and incidentals.

The other way out would be to see what you could get for the vehicle as-is in trade-in allowance. With used car values as they are today, this is what I would do before I put $7K into a 5yr/old Nissan product. I'm sure a dealer would figure out a way to get warranty coverage on a new engine for a trade-in like this, turn around and sell it for profit. You'll have to pick something out on their lot that you can live with for this to work.
Thank you for the response... I haven't pulled the carfax on it, after reading a few different post. I wondered if it may had been a rental at some point. I bought my car directly from Nissan and that is who has it now. The 2 warranties that have denied me are directly from them. I believe one is a powertrain 60k and the other is the 100k warranty that doesn't expire until march of 2024. I have shopped around for other shops to do the engine replacement, which is around $6k nothing compared to the $15k that nissan wants to charge me.

Honestly, I have never been in this position and i have no clue what to do of if there is anything to do other then just find someone else to do the replacement. Is it possible to take it to another shop and see if they can submit a different report to the warranty companies since one has already been denied?

The gentleman that is helping me at nissan, says they are waiting on their nissan rep to see if they can step in and help try to convince the power train warranty to help cover all or some of the cost, but I highly doubt that will happen since nissan it self was the one to write the report.

It just sucks, b/c everyone i talk to says they think the pictures look like the engine has gotten very hot at some point, and the damage has been there from before. Maybe I should just move on and find someone else to do my replacement... sigh...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response... I haven't pulled the carfax on it, after reading a few different post. I wondered if it may had been a rental at some point. I bought my car directly from Nissan and that is who has it now. The 2 warranties that have denied me are directly from them. I believe one is a powertrain 60k and the other is the 100k warranty that doesn't expire until march of 2024. I have shopped around for other shops to do the engine replacement, which is around $6k nothing compared to the $15k that nissan wants to charge me.

Honestly, I have never been in this position and i have no clue what to do of if there is anything to do other then just find someone else to do the replacement. Is it possible to take it to another shop and see if they can submit a different report to the warranty companies since one has already been denied?

The gentleman that is helping me at nissan, says they are waiting on their nissan rep to see if they can step in and help try to convince the power train warranty to help cover all or some of the cost, but I highly doubt that will happen since nissan it self was the one to write the report.

It just sucks, b/c everyone i talk to says they think the pictures look like the engine has gotten very hot at some point, and the damage has been there from before. Maybe I should just move on and find someone else to do my replacement... sigh...

There is no timing belt on these engines. They use a timing chain. Your only way out with no warranty coverage is to source a good used 2017+ engine. Prices are insane on them from what I am seeing right now. $5000 for a used engine and you're looking at another $1200+ for labor and incidentals.

Correction... a friend at another dealership pulled the carfax and it was a 2 owner vehicle.. so no rental..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Oh I am sure the engine was partially sludged up before you even got the vehicle, but the problem now is proving that. I personally wouldn't make a move on repairing it unless Nissan steps in and covers most of the cost. I would take a loss on the trade-in allowance and get a different vehicle if I had to put $6K+ into the worthless pile you have.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't know if it's the current used car market that is making these used engines so expensive, but there's no way I would go through the motions and expense of a $5000 used engine that could have been neglected from the get go. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming a 'new' engine through Nissan would be $7000+.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I learned this with my 2016 PF, never buy a rental again because the rental companies NEVER change the oils to cut costs and are slick willies at hiding issues. Never mentioned it till now, I tracked mine back to Dollar rental out of colorado but they moved it south, sold it in El Paso Tx ( el paso nissan were not honest after they pushed it off on me) and mine had 0 maint done and they drove it to 34k. After a drive I'll pour a quart of diesel in my oil for 10 mins runing idle in neutral with no loads running, let it sit overnight and drain in the morning. Every 3rd oil change at 5k miles for my PF & Ram Been doing this since the 80s at 3-4k intervals with high mileage engines that have sludge build up, but I don't recommend it just my way avoiding build up of sludge. 5 years later today I've fixed all its issues, baby for the most part when driving and it's doing very well, no oil leakes knock on wood. 3rd set of tires and 4th set of brakes, 2 new cv axles going on in August. Cooilng fan mod still going strong fyi

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I learned this with my 2016 PF, never buy a rental again because the rental companies NEVER change the oils to cut costs...
I do agree to a point. Your typical rental car will usually see 2 oil changes at best in it's first year and ~36K miles. That averages to one every 12K miles. It's not ideal, but not the end of the world for a ~1yr/old vehicle.

I worked for Budget rent-a-car, but it was over 30yrs ago. They rolled much the same back then, but the fleets were larger and vehicles were sold off w/ fewer miles than what you see today on ex-rentals.

I've bought many ex-rentals over the years. I prefer them to have no more than 24K miles and I look them over carefully. I've never had an oil related issue with any of them.

I still think were the problem lies with 2017+ pathfinders is these DI engines are harder on oil than the older port injected VQs. If you bought a 2017+ as an ex-rental or neglected used one with 40K+ miles on it, it probably has sludge build up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts