Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ontario Canada. During the winter morning , at the first 10 minuets my 17 pathy rpm keep around 2200 to 2500, the vehicle feels quite heavy like operating the manual shift car set the wrong gear. But after 10 mins it runs very smooth like summer time. I ask the dealer they said nothing wrong. It’s CVT cold protection. Anybody here has the same issue?

· Registered
139 Posts
Noticed this also on our 2017 PF, only when its really cold outside specially in the early morning, i think its normal, probably transmission is not yet fully warmed up to its operating temp. And i think @jman is correct, are you sure yours takes 10 minutes before it settles down?

· Registered
38 Posts
I have the same experience in cold weather - it's sluggish for 5-10 minutes, even a bit after the temp gauge starts to move up.

I live in Virginia. The thought occurs to me that while "cold" here is 35°F, "cold" in Canada is certainly much lower than that.

· Registered
162 Posts
that flows with what i noticed about the engine being sluggish - it only happens on the days where the temp is below freezing - well below it. otherwise, it's not an issue.

and if it's a matter of the engine not being fully functional due to not being at proper operating temperature (which takes a bit even if there's a heater in the transmission system as steve mentioned) then it makes sense the rpms would be up higher than they should be & would stay there until everything is working at proper temp range for optimal performance.

i don't think you have anything to worry about unless this continues once the warmer weather kicks in.

· Registered
164 Posts
I have the same experience in cold weather - it's sluggish for 5-10 minutes, even a bit after the temp gauge starts to move up.

I live in Virginia. The thought occurs to me that while "cold" here is 35°F, "cold" in Canada is certainly much lower than that.
If it's sluggish at 35F then there may be a problem. Mine runs normal until it gets a bit below freezing.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I live near Barrie, Ontario. The Orillia dealership just returned my 2018 PF Mid Ed today, they had it since Monday to look into that issue. Apparently, it’s all normal behaviour. They do run higher rpms when it’s colder, read sub-zero.

I’m waiting on an answer from a coworker that also own a 2018 PF to see if his does the same in the morning or after work.

· Registered
9 Posts
All vehicles have the same transmission experience in cold weather. It’s because your dealing with oil that gets thick due to the cold and needs to heat up by driving in order to shift properly. Any oil (engine, transmission, brake, power steering, etc) acts the same way. It’s just like a human. When you go outside on a cold day it takes a while to warm up and acclimate to the temp but if you start doing something or run, them your body warms up and it doesn’t feel as cold.

· Registered
5 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada. During the winter morning , at the first 10 minuets my 17 pathy rpm keep around 2200 to 2500, the vehicle feels quite heavy like operating the manual shift car set the wrong gear. But after 10 mins it runs very smooth like summer time. I ask the dealer they said nothing wrong. It’s CVT cold protection. Anybody here has the same issue?

HI,

I recently purchased a 2020 Rock Creek Edition and yes I am having the same issues while driving in the AM for the 1st 15-20 mins. My RPM's run between 2200 & 2800 going from 40 to 60kms/hr. Seems the tranny doesn't shift to a lower gear. I have a huge issue with this as it becomes very expensive on gas at that continuous RPM. I have an appt. 2morrow w/ Nissan for this issue as I expressed the expense of running this Brand of vehicle. I wiil keep you updated of the results. Also does anyone have any issues with the front defrost or when sitting at a light or idling the heat get cool. This is happening to me right now

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 (55k mile) pathfinder has started doing this (not going below 2k rpm’s during the first 10 min or so). Iit seems to be getting worse or more noticeable. My 2016 pathfinder (75k mile) doesn’t do it at all. The 2017 feels concerning. Has anyone had any results bringing it to the dealer?

· Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 (55k mile) pathfinder has started doing this (not going below 2k rpm’s during the first 10 min or so). Iit seems to be getting worse or more noticeable. My 2016 pathfinder (75k mile) doesn’t do it at all. The 2017 feels concerning. Has anyone had any results bringing it to the dealer?
I also have a 2017 PF that I bought with zero miles on it and it does the same thing you describe. Mine has 60,000 miles on it and when I take my foot off the gas pedal in cold weather the RPMs stay at about 2000, 2200 and the car slows down untill it reaches about 10mph, then it has the rpm drop to 850. It never does this in warm weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts