Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
876 Posts
I purchased a 2017 about 18 months ago for my wife with a warranty. They did warn us that warranty claims are very dependent on strict adherence to the mfg required maintenance schedule and must be done by a dealership.
Was the extra warranty you got included with the purchase? A dealer warranty?

Other than that, requiring dealer only service and maintenance is nothing but words.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It doesn't help your case. They aren't going to want to shell out $12k to replace the engine without wanting to know exactly what happened here. You don't want to give them a reason to say no. Remember that the warranty only covers manufacturing defects.

It may have been your first time going over the mileage but you don't know if it was the engines first.
That’s why people buy the extended warranty on a used car. I own and have own many nissans not saying I always go over on my oil changes at all this was my first I’m very on top of all that. But no way in hell are they gonna pin this on me for such a new car. I’ve just now made my fifth car payment tomorrow. That’s a little much. This was supposed to be my forever car for my kids n I. I would never neglect something I wanted forever. Life catches up. And I’ve had many drives to the hospital
I purchased a 2017 about 18 months ago for my wife with a warranty. They did warn us that warranty claims are very dependent on strict adherence to the mfg required maintenance schedule and must be done by a dealership. They could possibly be within their rights to deny your warranty coverage since you ran 6200 miles. However, this should still be under Nissan drivetrain warranty. My warranty covered the transmission 6 months in. You running one tme 6200 miles is not the damaging issue, but the prior history that is unknown to you may be. If previous service was done at dealerships and/or one of many certified service centers, your service history should show up on a Carfax report.
im looking through my paper work for the car fax report. They did say that it would take some time. At no point did they ever point the finger at me. It is under extended warranty that we bought but they said it was still under drivetrain warranty as well.
after looking up pathfinder oil changes it says 7500-10,000 for synthetic oil changes. They said when I bought the car they put synthetic in it. I’ll find out. Right now it’s a waiting game. I’ll be calling management here shortly just for the simple fact that they are not responding to me at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Was the extra warranty you got included with the purchase? A dealer warranty?

Other than that, requiring dealer only service and maintenance is nothing but words.
no it was not included we paid $3000 to include it at the time of sale. It was also still under the manufacture warranty as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Aftermarket extended warranties can also say no for the same reasons. The guy I work next to just recommended replacing an engine, the warranty company wanted pictures of failed components which required him to pull the engine and they would cover three hours to do it (which is ridiculous). They saw the sludge from not changing oil, and denied the claim. Now someone has to pay him to put the engine back in if they want the car...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Aftermarket extended warranties can also say no for the same reasons. The guy I work next to just recommended replacing an engine, the warranty company wanted pictures of failed components which required him to pull the engine and they would cover three hours to do it (which is ridiculous). They saw the sludge from not changing oil, and denied the claim. Now someone has to pay him to put the engine back in if they want the car...
Omg what a night mare!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, it sucks for everyone. I hate seeing them deny stuff. The guy bought a used car and the warranty and basically got screwed.

Hopefully yours works out. I'll just add that having a good relationship with whatever shop you use, if they deal with these companies regularly, will go to bat for you when at all possible. It didn't work out this time with my friend, but those guys usually fight pretty hard to get things covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, it sucks for everyone. I hate seeing them deny stuff. The guy bought a used car and the warranty and basically got screwed.

Hopefully yours works out. I'll just add that having a good relationship with whatever shop you use, if they deal with these companies regularly, will go to bat for you when at all possible. It didn't work out this time with my friend, but those guys usually fight pretty hard to get things covered.
What kind of pathfinder did your friend have? And milage was on it when it blew up?

·
Registered
155 Posts
That was a murano and he was the technician working on it. I'm not sure if the details besides sludge. It was more of an example of the extended warranty deal.

I wouldn't expect to find chunks of metal from sludge though. Usually sludged cars comes in with the check engine light on because the variable valve system doesn't work when it's all gummed up. It's got the consistency of cake batter at it's worst or more like a crusty baking pan where it's cooked on.

It will be interesting to see what caused the catastrophic failure, if it can even be determined. Either way, it's going to get a new, or used engine (that's a route warranty companies often take) so it will be fine to drive again. Total carnage like that is rare, so I wouldn't be worried at all about driving the car when this is all done.

·
Registered
459 Posts
after looking up pathfinder oil changes it says 7500-10,000 for synthetic oil changes. They said when I bought the car they put synthetic in it. I’ll find out.
In Australia the service interval for oil changes on the Pathfinder is every 10000km, which is 6213 miles. I think you have a strong case if they try to stiff you, and i'm pretty sure the dealership wouldn't be using full synthetic either, to keep their costs down...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
* update **
after much much fighting with Nissan consumer affairs. Not hearing from the dealership for three weeks yesterday I showed up the the dealership and demanded answer!! The sales floor had a bunch of people in there too!!
long story short the GM of my dealership took 100 percent full responsibility that my car was not fully looked at prior to me buying it! They offered me a 2020 pathfinder but I didn’t want that! I don’t have time or money to look around or test drive or even make another decision on a car! He offered to buy me a new engine for my car! So I took that! They ordered my new engine. I also got a $1500 check for my weeks of rental that I have already paid for and they took over the rental bill as of today! They also gave me a life time of oil changes for staying with the company. I’m my mind n heart that six months ago I had test drove more then 20 third row suv not many got the gas mileage the pathfinder does and NOT any of them did my 6 4 15yr old fit in the 3rd row! I’m keeping my car and should have it back in a few weeks 😉😁
I know not everyone’s stories are like mine. I’ve bought three times from this dealership in the last 14 years and I still have all three 💜

·
Registered
306 Posts
* update **
after much much fighting with Nissan consumer affairs. Not hearing from the dealership for three weeks yesterday I showed up the the dealership and demanded answer!! The sales floor had a bunch of people in there too!!
long story short the GM of my dealership took 100 percent full responsibility that my car was not fully looked at prior to me buying it! They offered me a 2020 pathfinder but I didn’t want that! I don’t have time or money to look around or test drive or even make another decision on a car! He offered to buy me a new engine for my car! So I took that! They ordered my new engine. I also got a $1500 check for my weeks of rental that I have already paid for and they took over the rental bill as of today! They also gave me a life time of oil changes for staying with the company. I’m my mind n heart that six months ago I had test drove more then 20 third row suv not many got the gas mileage the pathfinder does and NOT any of them did my 6 4 15yr old fit in the 3rd row! I’m keeping my car and should have it back in a few weeks 😉😁
I know not everyone’s stories are like mine. I’ve bought three times from this dealership in the last 14 years and I still have all three 💜
Glad to hear your story has a happy ending. Congrats for standing up to them and coming out with the results that you needed and deserved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
* update **
Woah, good for you! I was scared to read the update from you.... : )

Reactions: Blesm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Woah, good for you! I was scared to read the update from you.... : )
lol... I wasn’t nice about it. But just so everyone knows I do know a good lawyer if this happens to anyone. My case like I said I bought the car six months prior. NO WAY that going over an oil change by 1200 miles was going to do this to a new car.... I stuck to my guns with the dealership and that helps!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Great to hear!

This is why I suggest to everyone that they don't fall for the scenario where a Nissan service advisor tells a customer, the customer needs to deal with 1-800-Nissan. You will almost always get nowhere going that route.

You have to keep asking up the chain at the dealer level and be as cool as you can about it.

In my experience, Nissan is not near as bad as some other big names.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great to hear!

This is why I suggest to everyone that they don't fall for the scenario where a Nissan service advisor tells a customer, the customer needs to deal with 1-800-Nissan. You will almost always get nowhere going that route.

You have to keep asking up the chain at the dealer level and be as cool as you can about it.

In my experience, Nissan is not near as bad as some other big names.
That is good to hear PozMan! I've had great experience with my local Nissan as well. But it didn't involve swapping an engine... Boy, sure don't wish this on anyone...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That is good to hear PozMan! I've had great experience with my local Nissan as well. But it didn't involve swapping an engine... Boy, sure don't wish this on anyone...
I forsure wouldn’t wish this upon anyone either!! It was not an easy fight! But I do have a good relationship with my Nissan dealership and I’m glad they did the right thing for me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Blesm, be mindful of those engine oil changes, even with the new engine. The info we've seen over the past few years points to these 2017+ engines being very hard on oil. It really is best if you know someone that can change it for you. Especially if you want to keep your PF long term.

Read up on the other stuff like CVT fluid and transfercase oil. Those are important maintenance items as well.

On my 2019, I do mine myself every ~3700-4000 miles and it drains out very black.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Blesm, be mindful of those engine oil changes, even with the new engine. The info we've seen over the past few years points to these 2017+ engines being very hard on oil. It really is best if you know someone that can change it for you. Especially if you want to keep your PF long term.

Read up on the other stuff like CVT fluid and transfercase oil. Those are important maintenance items as well.

On my 2019, I do mine myself every ~3700-4000 miles and it drains out very black.
They actually gave me life time of oil changes with the dealership so they will be the ones to continue to maintenance on my pathfinder. I’ll make sure to take it in twice a year or more

21 - 40 of 40 Posts