Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 pathfinder, my grandson said he’d change my oil so i said sure, go for it. Well he drained the transmission fluid and not the oil. Now I’m replacing the fluid with the dealer bought CVT fluid. Problem is there’s no dipstick. Is there anyway to do this without going under to the fill hole? This is all new to me after been working on autos all my life. I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
683 Posts
It should be 4qts that drained out of the CVT.

I'm sure you found the charge pipe up in the engine bay? It's kind of between the air intake duct and engine. The black plastic locking cap in the tube will take some fiddling with a thin flat blade screw driver to release the cap, but that's where you refill the transmission.

Reactions: Axel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a new "Reman Transaxle Assy" installed in my 2017 Pathfinder last month (25000 miles) after 5 trips, over a year, to the Dealer for leaks. All the work was done under warranty by my invoice showed "5 999MP-CVONS3 NS-3 CVT Fluid- 1 QT X 12". So, I'm not sure about how much fluid it takes to fill the thing including the cooler. I have always done my own work and I did find the filler tube and got the cap off only to find no dipstick. I asked about a dipstick and was told the tube was only for filling, no dipstick available. I have done a little searching and there are some available on eBay but I'm not sure any of them are designed for my SL. If anyone has a part number that they know is the right one, I'd appreciate your posting it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
As far as I know, dealer techs don't even use an actual dipstick for measuring fluid level in these. Like said, it's called a charge pipe and is used for filling only. There is a level check plug kind of on the torque converter side of the transmission, right near the transmission pan. With the vehicle on a level surface, with the engine idling and the CVT fluid temp between ~95F and 113F, fluid should just dribble out the level check plug. Like I say, a cold drain and fill will be 4 quarts on a 2017+

Reactions: Axel

·
Registered
683 Posts
Axel, keep us posted if this new transmission solves the issues you had. Do you know if they serviced the transfer case when they did the transmission swap? The transfer case would have had to have been removed from the factory CVT and mounted on the new one.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Pathfinder SL
6 Posts
I can totally see how that happened. I just did my first oil change since purchasing my 17 Pathfinder a few months ago. I had to do a few double takes to make sure I was removing the right plug.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Its not too bad of a job once you do it once its easy. here is the video I used for my 2016 SV back in 2017 I didnt replace the plug with a new one, never do till they start to drip over the years. this link makes it easy for all of us with a nissan cvt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Axel, keep us posted if this new transmission solves the issues you had. Do you know if they serviced the transfer case when they did the transmission swap? The transfer case would have had to have been removed from the factory CVT and mounted on the new one.
So far there are no leaks in the new tranny; I got under and changed the engine oil a week ago and everything looks dry.
I'm not sure about the transfer case; I'll have a look at the work order but I'm not sure it will even be listed.
Thanks for your interest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts