Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Canuck in the USA, new here, retired, bought this vehicle when my Hyundai Veracruz was totaled by a young driver losing control on I95 and hitting me head on.

So I bought a 2017 Pathfinder SV loaded with the Nav package, Bose Sound System, towing Pkg because it was similar to the Rental vehicle the Insurance Company provided me under my insurance plan . I loved it and the most impressive feature was the cameras in the front, side mirrors and rear giving a 360 view, particularly when leaving the garage.

My first disappointment was the factory tires (Toyo) only lasting 18,000 miles. I was vacationing in Digby Nova Scotia when a rear tire blew and I replaced them all with a much better Michelin tire.

Next problem was a transmission leak about a year ago and the pan gasket was replaced...less than 10,000 miles later many spots started appearing in the driveway...3 trips to the dealer to "tighten some bolts" and yet it was not fixed. Finally it was returned with and asked not to return it until it was fixed properly...well, it's been 16 days now and I have had a couple of updates that Fred Beans Dealership is in talks with Nissan to replace the transmission...but the transmissions "are on back-order". It's OK because they have provided me with a "Kicks" because my vehicle is still under warranty (25,000 miles).

If this vehicle is worth anything when I get it back, I think I will go back to the Dark Side and look at the Hyundai Palisade.I am thinking they make a superior vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,361 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Axel. Yup! You either get a good one or a bad one it seems with these vehicles. Many of us are very happy with our Pathys, and some of us have lots of problems. Your experience is similar to what others have had. Agree that the Toyo tires are crap. Luck of the draw, my '13 SL came with Continental Cross Contacts as OEM, which I still have on the vehicle at 60,000 miles. (I also have a winter setup.) When you get yours straightened away, maybe it's time to move on. We'll be sorry to see you go.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
617 Posts
Be interesting to know what is actually leaking on the transmission. That's the first I've heard this one. First I've heard about them being on back order too, but everything is messed up because of the darn Rona.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be interesting to know what is actually leaking on the transmission. That's the first I've heard this one. First I've heard about them being on back order too, but everything is messed up because of the darn Rona.
I'd like to know as well. The Dealership told me they tightened the pan bolts at first, second time they said there were a couple of bolts that were missed first time, third time I was told the drain plug was re-tightened. The fourth time I got under, took pictures and it appeared that the bolts at the back of the pan were wet (but the leak may have been coming from somewhere up above out of sight.) The Shop Manager did not want to see the pictures or the cardboard "drip pan" I provided...he just said we have to fix this! So 17 days and counting my vehicle is still at Fred Beans Nissan in Doylestown, PA waiting for a transmission "on back-order"...maybe it will be "new and improved"..just hoping.

I understand that Jatco has transmission plants in about 5 different countries...just wondering if one of them is producing a defective product or if the Ghosn fiasco caused Nissan to lose focus. (I had an Xterra years ago and it remains one of my all time favourites.
A friend has an Armada that looked really nice going by yesterday.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Some Nissan/Jatco CVTs seem to be more problematic than others. No rhyme or reason. Some fail at 30K miles, others go 300K. Like I say, this leaking issue is a new one to me. Unbelievable to me that a Nissan service dept can't find the source of the leak. Re-tightening the pan bolts and drain plug? Please..

You can't compare a 2013+ Pathfinder to an XTerra, Frontier, erc. Apples/Oranges in terms of vehicles.

Armadas and Titans are nice vehicles, but you're still going to have Nissan "quality" issues with them and they are relatively rare vehicles. Not many are sold. So few in my area that they don't even typically stock them and I've got a very busy, high volume local Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first sign of problems started at 15000 when they replaced the pan gasket. The vehicle was stored all winter because we were away, it took me a little while to start noticing the spots on the driveway in the Spring but it may have been the same issue all along. The Dealer has told me they have been through all the "schematics" with Nissan and everyone seems to be stumped!
Thanks for your input and thoughts; I will post any news or updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The first sign of problems started at 15000 when they replaced the pan gasket. The vehicle was stored all winter because we were away, it took me a little while to start noticing the spots on the driveway in the Spring but it may have been the same issue all along. The Dealer has told me they have been through all the "schematics" with Nissan and everyone seems to be stumped!
Thanks for your input and thoughts; I will post any news or updates.
The Shop Manager called on Friday afternoon "Vehicle is ready for pickup". Saturday morning I went for it and sure enough a nice "New" (I think re-manufactured) transmission in the drive train. 21 days at the Dealership for the fix so lets hope it was worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know of a Bush Bar that will not interfere with the proximity sensors on the 2017 Pathfinder?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Does anyone know of a Bush Bar that will not interfere with the proximity sensors on the 2017 Pathfinder?
On the front bumper? I'm not sure there's prox sensors there on SV models. There are folks here who have installed push bars on their 2013+ pathfinders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts