Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping to maybe get some help with my 2017 Pathfinder SV. It's out of warranty due to being over the mileage.

Several weeks ago the info centre started to reboot repeatedly, every 20 seconds or so. Up pops the Nissan logo, then it looks okay for a few seconds, then it freezes and reboots again. I tried all the basics, rebooting manually, then disconnecting the battery for an hour. Before disconnecting the battery at least I had audio from SiriusXM...with short skips on the reboots but it was sort of tolerable. After disconnecting the battery it lost its little mind and doesn't do much of anything. The backup camera will work after the Nissan logo, but only for a few seconds. And I have to disable bluetooth on my phone as the head unit keeps wanting to pair with it.

The dealer (the 2nd one I've taken it to) says the DCU is bad, part number 28387-9PB0A. They confirmed this by swapping one in from another Pathfinder on the lot. Unfortunately this part is $3800+ in Canadian dollars. I can see this part available for just over $2000 US from sources like factorynissanpartsonline.com, but I don't know anything about this company.

I was thinking I might go with one of the android solutions I've read about but I think I need a working DCU to go this route. I've considered looking for something from a wrecker but I'm not seeing much available, and I've seen a couple of different part numbers, e.g. 28387-9pb0B or 28387-9pb0D, and I've no clue whether they'd work in my car.

Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,514 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

How many km's do you have? Sometimes dealers will work with you if not too far off warranty.
SV, I assume no navigation, right?

All these guys claim to have one. I suggest you drive there, explain the PN situation and ask if you can try the part before purchasing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, awesome, and thanks for the welcome. I bought the Pathfinder about a year ago (almost exactly) from Hertz, it now has 81K on the clock. The dealer didn't offer any wiggle room but gave me a number for Nissan Customer Service and suggested I try them.

Yes, you're correct about no Nav.

I will certainly follow some of the links you provided, that's absolutely amazing. Where's that from if you don't mind me asking??

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
679 Posts
Something to try. I had shared a thread from another forum here weeks back about a 2017 Pathfinder owner who also bought his PF used from a rental car company about a year ago. He had engine issues that ultimately lead to needing a new engine that the Nissan powertrain warranty wouldn't cover because there was visible sludge in the engine even though this guy changed the oil regularly and had documentation.

This guy contacted the rental outlet (which I am assuming was Hertz) about the issue. They opened a claim on it and gave the dealer approval to install a NEW engine no charge to this guy.

I would contact Hertz ASAP on this. It's worth a try.

FWIW, I've bought lots of ex-rentals over the years, my 2019 PF included. Never had a bad experience. Hertz has a great system where you can rent the vehicle you're interested in buying at a reduced rate for a few days and if you decide to buy it, the rental fee is waived.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,393 Posts
Hertz has a great system where you can rent the vehicle you're interested in buying at a reduced rate for a few days and if you decide to buy it, the rental fee is waived.
That's a great idea! (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts