Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this similar issue and have a solution on how to fix it.

I have a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder with barely 53,000 mileage on it.

Just a couple of days ago, after I drove the vehicle for about 8 miles (eg., To Target and Home, about 15 minutes each trip).

When I got done with my target (eg., about 20 minutes later).

I started the vehicle and release the shifter from "P" (Park) to "D" (Drive). From P (Park) to R (Reverse) N (Neutral) the shifter went smooth. BUT From N to D, it felt like something is jamming. I have to slightly force it into the D (Drive) position. I notice jamming/sticky sounds shift from D (Drive) to L (Low Drive) position, too. If I move the shifter from D (Drive) to N (Neutral) or to R (Reverse) or P (Park), the shifter will go smoothly without any issue. Once I get it into D, the vehicle drives smoothly and fine. The following day, when I drove the vehicle again, the whole Shifter shift smoothed in their position and drive fine. A few days later. The problem comes back and goes again the following day.

Do I need to spray WD40 (lubricant) around my shifter so the shifting into those P, R, N, D, L? (JUST KIDDING Bad Humor :p)

I check for possible debris (eg., snack crumbs, etc). The area is spotless and clean.

I contact my local Nissan dealership and they think I have a transmission issue, which will get me $X, XXX.XX - $XX,XXX.00 (VERY EXPENSIVE). I don't think it is the transmission is a problem, because the vehicle drives smoothly and strongly.

Thank you

Gear shift Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
517 Posts
You don't usually want to go by what someone tells you over the phone without looking at it, or on the internet either, really. You don't talk to technicians when you call the dealership, or most shops, so it's gonna be a blind dart throw that might be in the direction of the board.

It is usually something in that shifter area that causes this. Did you actually take the shift boot off and look in there to see if anything is stuck? Even that plastic sliding cover thing can get jammed up. If nothing is wrong in there, I'd disconnect the cable at the transmission and see if the range selector switch can be moved freely with the cable off. If so, your problem is between there and the shifter. Also, when th cable is off, check if the shifter moves super smoothly then with nothing connected to it. If it's still hard, you've got something binding up in the trans.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder with barely 53,000 mileage on it.

Just a couple of days ago, after I drove the vehicle for about 8 miles (eg., To Target and Home, about 15 minutes each trip).

When I got done with my target (eg., about 20 minutes later).

I started the vehicle and release the shifter from "P" (Park) to "D" (Drive). From P (Park) to R (Reverse) N (Neutral) the shifter went smooth. BUT From N to D, it felt like something is jamming. I have to slightly force it into the D (Drive) position. I notice jamming/sticky sounds shift from D (Drive) to L (Low Drive) position, too. If I move the shifter from D (Drive) to N (Neutral) or to R (Reverse) or P (Park), the shifter will go smoothly without any issue. Once I get it into D, the vehicle drives smoothly and fine. The following day, when I drove the vehicle again, the whole Shifter shift smoothed in their position and drive fine. A few days later. The problem comes back and goes again the following day.

Do I need to spray WD40 (lubricant) around my shifter so the shifting into those P, R, N, D, L? (JUST KIDDING Bad Humor :p)

I check for possible debris (eg., snack crumbs, etc). The area is spotless and clean.

I contact my local Nissan dealership and they think I have a transmission issue, which will get me $X, XXX.XX - $XX,XXX.00 (VERY EXPENSIVE). I don't think it is the transmission is a problem, because the vehicle drives smoothly and strongly.

Thank you

View attachment 16815
My car did this and it turned out to be the start stop button was going out and I needed a new one it took two days for the part to come in and just less than a day to put it in and I had my car back running perfectly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts