Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First. let me say my 2016 SV, 42,000 miles runs perfect in every way. EXCEPT.... it has an odd noise specifically at or around 1100 RPM. It makes a growling sound akin to a manual transmission in high gear at low speed. I only notice it when cruising at speeds (20-40 MPH) that maintain this RPM. The instant I accelerate, or lower the engine RPM, it disappears. Does not seem to affect performance in any way, but is annoying and unsettling given the history of these trannys. Has anyone experienced this? I know if I go to the dealer I'll hear the canned " that's normal" when I know it isn't. Would appreciate any feedback/advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First. let me say my 2016 SV, 42,000 miles runs perfect in every way. EXCEPT.... it has an odd noise specifically at or around 1100 RPM. It makes a growling sound akin to a manual transmission in high gear at low speed. I only notice it when cruising at speeds (20-40 MPH) that maintain this RPM. The instant I accelerate, or lower the engine RPM, it disappears. Does not seem to affect performance in any way, but is annoying and unsettling given the history of these trannys. Has anyone experienced this? I know if I go to the dealer I'll hear the canned " that's normal" when I know it isn't. Would appreciate any feedback/advice.
I know exactly what your talking about... i think. Lol. I had this same experience when circling the airport waiting for my guest. I noticed once i took it out of auto (awd) and put into 2wd it went away. Also i recently had my tranny fluid changed and no longer experience this. I have 2018 sv 4wd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Mine has done this since I got it (16,000KM) and it's had a replacement transmission at around 40,000KM. Both the original and replacement transmissions made this sound at low load/low RPM. I'm at 94,000KM now and the noise hasn't changed.

I don't know for certain but I don't think it's causing any damage, it seems to be normal. I haven't tried in 2wd honestly but seeing the other comment saying it doesn't happen in 2wd, it could be transfer case noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts