Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello:

No, not another question about sticking a full size wheel under the car. I wouldn't trust that cable with that much weight, and I'd probably end up damaging the tire as it would be much wider than the spare donut.

Yes, I searched. It was all about adding a full size spare and what size and what to use and on and on and then the threads go off-rail as they do in all other forums.

Has anyone here put a full size spare on a mount either on the back hatch area or on the roof and how did you do it?

I have a tow hitch. Has anyone mounted something to that?

Family is growing and I can no longer throw a full size spare and jack in the back of the car.

Thanks in advance.

Edit October 10, 2021.
1. I got the factory cross bars and installed them.
2. I had the Curt basket and extension on order, but cancelled after seeing some reviews of the unit rusting.
3. Bought Yakima Load Warrior and extension.
4. Wait for it...wait for it...a full size wheel can fit behind the 3rd row...even with the Bose sub. Remove the plastic partitions and drop the wheel inside. You will need to tie the wheel to the passenger side seat of 3rd row. The 3rd row headrest can slide up to make it easier. I just tried it with a bungee, and was able to do so, but I will come up with a better solution "fingers crossed" before our trip.

Factory wheel weighs 58.8# on my scale. If I put that up top, add 40# for basket, and I am limited to just 50# of cargo.

This solution allows me full use of all seating and 110# of stuff on top. Of course, we can carry some items inside as well.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Quick answer is no, no one has done it here that I can recall.

Many aftermarket options, some starting at US$100. this one is pricey but allows you to open the liftgate.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Quick answer is no, no one has done it here that I can recall.

Many aftermarket options, some starting at US$100. this one is pricey but allows you to open the liftgate.

View attachment 16412
Thanks, jman.

I saw that at 4wheel parts for over $1000.

I also saw an adaptor for a basket that allows one to attach a wheel...up to 33" wheel.

That could be an option with a large basket that allows cargo as well as the wheel. However, the wheel and tire feel close to 50#.

It is nutty that Nissan has no offering. Not even a Nismo something or other.

I should have kept my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder.

Here is the smittybilt mount:

Rectangle Kitchen appliance Gas Audio equipment Electronic instrument

·
Registered
2016 Pathfinder SV AWD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baby steps.

I started by ordering factory cross bars off amazon.

The set was $290. There was an amazon choice at $90, but I didnt want to chance my rooftop cargo.

the factoey unit is made of alloy steel while all other cheaper options were aluminum of questionable quality.

They were rated to #150 pounds, but the line from Tommy Boy kept playing in my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts