Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a preowned 15 Pathfinder. I've owned for about 2 months.

Since the 1st week of ownership I noticed that there was always liquid dripping onto the ground after driving. To the touch it is always cool, colorless, no texture and odorless. I'm 99.9% that it is water. It is dripping behind the passenger front tire, sortve by the a-arm pivot point. Through some research, i think this is the a/c condenser drain area.
My question/problem is it leaks everytime I drive the car. This includes when I do not use the a/c, and when i do not have the hvac in auto mode.
When the a/c is lit (on) the air gets noticeably colder, but when it's off and the temp setting is less than the ambient temp, the air blows out cold. The heat comes on and blows hot as well. Even with the heat on the car still drips water after.
My question I guess is, is this normal operation and how exactly does the hvac system work? It's almost as if the a/c runs in the background all the time to cool the air to the desired degree on the temp setting.

Any info or similar experiences?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update; sortve...it finally came to me to turn the entire HVAC system off and see if it leaks....i did this and there was no dripping after my trip.

This should 100% confirm that my leak is AC condensate, but this leads to the question if the AC operates properly?
Does anyone know how this system is set to perform?
i.e. when only the fan is on (AC off, recirc off, defrost off and auto off) will the AC still run to cool the air to the indicated temperature selection? If not, could this be a bad AC clutch or some other oddity?

I've tried calling a few local Nissan dealers and none will let me talk to a mechanic, and i really don't want to pay for an hour appointment, just t have them tell me it is operating normally (with not even trying to diagnose)

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,093 Posts
Many times I've felt cold air coming through the vents with the AC button turned off.
I believe that if the desired cabin temperature is set to the minimum (18C in my case) and the ambient and internal cabin temperature are above that, the compressor comes on regardless of the AC button being off.

This has been discussed in the past, no clear answers of why this happens. Try running with the cabin temp set slightly higher than minimum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many times I've felt cold air coming through the vents with the AC button turned off.
I believe that if the desired cabin temperature is set to the minimum (18C in my case) and the ambient and internal cabin temperature are above that, the compressor comes on regardless of the AC button being off.

This has been discussed in the past, no clear answers of why this happens. Try running with the cabin temp set slightly higher than minimum.

Interesting and thanks for your thoughts. I've actually done, what I thought, was extensive googling/searching and have found next to nothing on this issue.

Is 18C the lowest/coldest setting that you have? I will will actually get cold air if my temp is at 75F (60F is my coldest setting) and the outside temp is pretty much anywhere in the 70's. In any other car I've ever owned, I'm getting warmer feeling air if I'm anything above 72F setting.

I would really love to get some sort of confirmation from a Nissan mechanic/salesman etc, just to put my mind at ease, that I'm not burning out my A/C compressor or clutch. The sheer amount of condensate is alarming to myself, especially when it is set to 'heat' temps

Thanks

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,832 Posts
I would really love to get some sort of confirmation from a Nissan mechanic/salesman etc, just to put my mind at ease, that I'm not burning out my A/C compressor or clutch. The sheer amount of condensate is alarming to myself, especially when it is set to 'heat' temps

Thanks
@Tutti57 can you comment?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,136 Posts
The a/c compressor cycles on any and all HVAC settings on my 2019 pathfinder. Not just w/s defrost settings. It could be 5deg F out and you will hear the a/c compressor cycle from time to time. Even on full blast heat mode.

The water you see dripping is because the a/c condenser condensate tube terminates somewhere in the steel body structure of the vehicle. What an awful decision that was IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts