Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to change the oil last weekend and noticed that the underside of the car and the back hatch were all covered in oil. So, I went to the dealer yesterday and was diagnosed with a transfer case leak. The car only has 15,500 miles on it.

I was trying to see if this is a common problem for the PF but can't seem to find any complaints for the newer Nissan's. Anyone else had this problem?

Fortunately, it's still covered under warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The wifes '15 she bought last year with 28,000 miles now has 37,000 miles and is bone dry under. I have only done 1 oil change, but waiting for spring to check x-fer case and diff fluid levels when I do the other trucks. Just got a F-250 and our Suburban the daughter bought from us. Usually do that every spring and fall. Just have to decide if I should check Tranny fluid level on the Pathy.

Pain in the ***. But I understand it. $5.00 each for a dipstick multiplied over several million vehicles when probably 98% of the people driving have never pulled to check one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my car back last night. Paperwork states performed work according to Nissan bulletin NTB17-003. Does anyone know the details for this NTB?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took my 2015 Pathfinder to get a tire pressure sensor replaced (wife went through a ditch and broke it). I had noticed a small spot of oil on the garage floor. While it was on the lift getting the tps replaced, I looked at the bottom end. There was oil leaking from the transfer case. Service Mgr. said there was a bulletin on the leak. He showed me over a page of parts needed. He said that it would take better than a day to fix. They ordered the parts on 2/17. Waiting on call from them to set up an appointment. We have had the Pathfinder for about 18 months and have put 35,000. Fortunately, I caught this before the warranty expired. Any other common problems these things experience? Do the 15s have any transmission problems like the 13s and 14s have??

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Your issue:

Subject: SB Pathfinder/Murano/Rogue; Fluid Leak Caused By Transfer Right Side Seal
Summary of NTB17003:
IF YOU CONFIRM Fluid is leaking from the right side of the transfer assembly (see Figure 1). NOTE: The fluid leak is not caused by the seal shown in Figure 1. ACTION 1. DO NOT REPLACE the transfer assembly. 2. Reseal the transfer assembly. - Re....

As for CVT issues, 15s have them for sure; not certain about more recent years.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
Your issue:

Subject: SB Pathfinder/Murano/Rogue; Fluid Leak Caused By Transfer Right Side Seal
Summary of NTB17003:
IF YOU CONFIRM Fluid is leaking from the right side of the transfer assembly (see Figure 1). NOTE: The fluid leak is not caused by the seal shown in Figure 1. ACTION 1. DO NOT REPLACE the transfer assembly. 2. Reseal the transfer assembly. - Re....

As for CVT issues, 15s have them for sure; not certain about more recent years.
Is this something you can share and post?
I once saw some oil on my garage floor, dealer said everything was dry but would like to check what figure 1 refers to.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I do not have the full TSB. Sorry. For leaks, check your fluid filled engine mounts. Have replaced mine three times!

·
Registered
24 Posts
This leak happens to my 14 as well. Was changing break pads with my dad and noticed the leak 8 days ago. Took it to the dealer and they told me yesterday that they would replace the transfer case as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Went to change the oil last weekend and noticed that the underside of the car and the back hatch were all covered in oil. So, I went to the dealer yesterday and was diagnosed with a transfer case leak. The car only has 15,500 miles on it.

I was trying to see if this is a common problem for the PF but can't seem to find any complaints for the newer Nissan's. Anyone else had this problem?

Fortunately, it's still covered under warranty.
Hey Newzbie,
Had the same issue on a 2017 with 46,000 miles (it was down 2 Qts) and after replacement of fluid the transmission completely went 3 weeks later.
It was giving an intermittent humming noise that became very loud in cold weather. The first DX was the leak then it took 3 weeks to DX the continued noise.
Nissan engineering has failed miserably as from my research this CVT transmission has become a disaster with many replacements. What has this company not learned from its initial problem with CVT 10 years ago?
The transfer case also needed to be rebuilt due to an advisory from Nissan.
The company has bad management and a bad CEO and is in financial problems.
Many other car companies have come out with CVT transmissions Honda, Subaru, Toyota etc. Why can't Nissan figure this out? Just plain bad engineering and development which will kill a car company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Newzbie,
Had the same issue on a 2017 with 46,000 miles (it was down 2 Qts) and after replacement of fluid the transmission completely went 3 weeks later.
It was giving an intermittent humming noise that became very loud in cold weather. The first DX was the leak then it took 3 weeks to DX the continued noise.
Nissan engineering has failed miserably as from my research this CVT transmission has become a disaster with many replacements. What has this company not learned from its initial problem with CVT 10 years ago?
The transfer case also needed to be rebuilt due to an advisory from Nissan.
The company has bad management and a bad CEO and is in financial problems.
Many other car companies have come out with CVT transmissions Honda, Subaru, Toyota etc. Why can't Nissan figure this out? Just plain bad engineering and development which will kill a car company.
Hey everyone,
The transfer case in my 2017 PF has failed. The dealer did not give me any details but I have been waiting on a new one for almost 2.5 weeks now. The dealer disconnected the transfer case so it would stop making noise (loud screeching/scraping), interfere with the shifting and other side effects from its failure. I really don't know much about these parts and initially thought it was the CVT, but the dealer ran "a thorough diagnostic" and once the transfer case was disconnected the noise and interference stopped. I had them disconnect the TC because we were going camping (2500+ lb PUP in tow) and I really needed my car. It performed ok, but you could tell something was off; lots of wheel slippage, shifting seems difficult, etc. But nothing like what was happening when the TC was connected. When it was connected, the shift to first was very hard and I could feel the transmission working through the gears. So yes it does appear to be an issue. Does anyone have the 'NTB17-003"? I'll try to acquire one and post if I can. Cheers!

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

I don't think they can disconnect the transfer case as this unit is basically integrated to the front drivetrain. They could have removed the drive shaft to take some strain off the transfer. I could be wrong.

Here is the NTB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts