Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Pathfinder SV fwd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2015 pathfinder SV 2wd with 135K miles. Found a puddle of oil in the driveway. Appears to be the rear main seal on the engine. Leaking out of the inspection cover between the engine and transmission. Seems really strange for this to fail so early. Has anyone else have any experience with the rear main seals on these? I can't really find much on it. I did find the FSM and it says you have to pull the entire engine and transmission out to replace the seal. Is that correct? Can you not just remove the transmission?

Local Nissan dealer quoted $2,505 to replace it, and so far I found another shop that quoted $1,275 said it's 14 hours of labor.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
718 Posts
That truly sucks. I haven't heard of this on a VQ35DE. Your 2015 looks brand-new underneath. The level check plug for the CVT looks right off the factory floor! With me living in the rust belt, my 2019 looks 10yrs old compared to that.

Anyway.. Like you say, unfortunately a RMS replacement is a ton of work on a FWD like this and any vehicle really. A little less labor than on a 4x4 model, so you've got that going for you. The transmission and flywheel has to be removed to gain access to the RMS. I dunno if you've been keeping up on CVT fluid changes and whatnot, but I'd hate to go through all this to have the CVT bomb on you in 12K miles or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing is spotless! Don’t have to deal with the rust down here in the south. I’m getting it checked on Friday by a reputable Nissan shop. We’ll see what their opinion is. He was shocked when I told him over the phone that it’s a 2015 with a bad rear main seal. Maybe it’s something else? But it looks like it to me and I can’t find anything else leaking.

I actually just bought this about a month ago. At least I got a good deal on it! But I have no idea about the history of CVT maintenance. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to go ahead to do a fluid change.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it turns out the RMS has to be replaced and you're out of warranty but still want to hold on to the car, I'll recommend trying AT-205. Half a bottle in your crankcase, take it for a spin for about 15-20 mins after that. If leak is not bad, you should see results in a day or 2 of normal use.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
718 Posts
I didn't think about the possibility of a valve cover leak or something up top that just happens to be working it's way down and out of the inspection cover area. Seems unlikely, but it would be nice to be something much more simple.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know my 2003 is very different but some things are similar enough to comment.
Yes people had oil leaking from valve covers that were mistaken for rear main seal.
I had my 2003 in shop for rear main seal, about 12 or 14 years old then, it wasn't the rear main, it was a leak between sub sumps. A gasket. Since this was a huge job they applied silicone sealer and that stopped it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it to the shop yesterday and they confirmed that it’s leaking from the rear main seal. Couldn’t find anything else leaking. It’s the local non dealer Nissan shop and they said this is the first 2013+ they’ve ever seen with a bad rear main.

trying decide on the CVT maintenance. Should I just do a diy fluid change? Or is it worth it to pay the shop to do a full flush? No idea when the fluid was done by the previous owner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts