Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, and thank you for taking the time to read this article, as I try to resolve the problem, I will seek help from anyone that will offer it. NOTE: I continue to go the dealerships and complain of not having any heat. To date, nothing has been actually done to fix the problem except a heater core flush. Nissan customer service and the dealerships will not admit any issue exists, and i have no leads on what to do next.

I have a 2015 Pathfinder Platinum with 70,000 km’s (under 45,000 miles). I live in Eastern Ontario, Canada where winter temperatures will get to -35 C (or -45 with the wind-chill). That’s -31 to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.

So to the problem then..

The temperature of the heat while accelerating is kinda warm, it gets to a balmy 55 degrees Celsius (130 F.) which seems like it would be hot, but it really isn’t. For example, my dad’s 2012 Buick gets to 88 degrees Celsius (190 F.) again.. It’s just air, so it’s not burning hot.

The heat temperature is not any better in the summer either, so it’s not a question of “it can’t keep up in winter”.

My first question is this: can anyone with a 2015 take readings of the temperature of the heat at the vents using a digital meat thermometer, this must be taken while under acceleration, at full hot, full fan speed.

Part 2 question: Does the temperature of the air steadily decrease while at idle.

**Please don’t use a heat gun to check temperature of the air.. that won’t work.

Question 3: the engine temperature gauge on the dashboard; Can someone please tell me how high the needle gets. Mine never makes it to hallway, it gets only about 3/8’s of the way up.

I’d love to know if any mechanics out there can tell me straight up what the problem is.

Cheers, and thank you in advance.

Ian

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,718 Posts
My water temperature gauge never seems to move from about 1/3, even pulling a trailer uphill in 90 degree F weather.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi jman, I have a bit more info. Working with a couple friends, we did a bit more "research" on this.

Yesterday I compared my vehicle's heat temperature with that of a family friend, she has a 2014 Path. The temperature at the vents was 57 degrees Celsius (135 F) in her vehicle, when set to full hot and full speed.

But... I had varying results in mine...

At first, (after reaching the vehicle operating temp) the temp at the vents (full hot, full speed) was at 42 degrees Celsius (108 F), and wouldn't budge, until I clicked on and off on the A/C button. When I did that, my friend (who was listening to the engine) said he heard the engine RPM's drop, and the compressor shut off (he heard a click, what sounded like the compressor shutting off he said). Then the heat at the vents started rising. The heat continued climbing, and reached almost 50 Celsius (122 F), which is still a few degrees lower than my friends Path, but I could live with that if it stayed that hot.

But then..

So with heat at 50C (122F), I turned on the A/C button once again to see what would happen, (I kept the temp "dial" at full hot, 32C), and wouldn't you know it, the heat started dropping steadily all the way back down to 44 C (111 F).

So my observations tell me that the A/C compressor seems to be running even when the A/C button isn't selected. This seems to cause my heat to keep dropping.

Is this possible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My water temperature gauge never seems to move from about 1/3, even pulling a trailer uphill in 90 degree F weather.
agreed, it never gets to half, although I have seen pictures where they show the needle pointing straight down. I dont know how they ever got that tho.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
I know that on this vehicle the AC compressor can turn on (with the button in the off position) if you set the desired cabin temperature below the current ambient.

If you run your heat while using the defogging mode (windshield and feet or just windshield), the compressor WILL run occasionally. That is to remove moisture.

When you run the heat (set at 22C+) on a cold day and use the front vents mode, feet or both combined, the compressor should not start.

Back to the thermostat. The thermostat will prevent hot coolant from entering the core that heats the cabin if the engine temperature is low. The engine needs to be hot to work properly. So most likely your thermostat is bad or your cooling fans could be running at all times or more often than needed.
Attached are some instructions on how to test your thermostat.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Jman, but i'm not in a position to start taking that apart to test it. The vehicle is under warranty and I dont have the set up anymore to do work on cars. This is very unfortunate for me because i used to do a lot of my own work.

In any event, should the temperature be dropping so low when the compressor kicks in? Seems that a few degrees would be the norm, but it drops by 10-20 degrees Celsius, that doesnt seem correct at all.

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
Yes, if there is minimum flow through the cabin heat core. You can easily check if the compressor is running when you see those temperature drops.
What about your fans? Are they running too often (with the AC off)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll check the fans
what is the temperature of the heat out of your vents, floor and windshield?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue before and after some troubleshooting, found that my coolant level was low. After adding some coolant, heat was restored during idle. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
I had this issue before and after some troubleshooting, found that my coolant level was low. After adding some coolant, heat was restored during idle. Hope that helps.
Yes, that is the first thing to check. Since OP stated that dealer did a heater core flush, I'd assume they topped up the coolant to the right level after.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks czamora, but this issue seems to be much more complex, but regardless, i filled up the overflow tank almost to the top to make sure this wasnt the problem

cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
So my wife has mentioned her 13 pathfinder was only putting out luke warm air. Finally checked it out. Here is what I found. My 18 titan at the vents is putting out 170-180 deg. F. Her pathfinder is only pumping out about 115 deg. F. Also checked coolant hose temperature along with radiator after idling a bit and found them hanging out at about 135-140. I am no mechanic but that tells me the thermostat is stuck open... Any other ideas? Anyone tackle this on their own? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2,902 Posts
A few questions that will help understand it better:
  • When you measured the temp at the vents, what was the cabin temp set to? Was re-circulation on or off?
  • Which hose did you measured, intake, outlet? 140 for the top hose (outlet) sounds reasonable considering the coolant just got cooled and there is rubber acting as an insulator.

Did you make sure the coolant level isn't low?
Are the fans cycling when the car is idling (AC and defrost off)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 lukewarm to just cold air coming out of the vents too at idle. The fluid level was fine. Tried burping it, no noticeable bubbles. It would blow hot when running but not as hot as I thought it should. Watched as the radiator fan kick in and out.

Today I flushed the heater core and eureka! Heat O' plenty.

Remove the in intake and air cleaner housing. disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses just above the transmission. Connected a hose to the outlet (it's the upper of the two leading back to the water pump) and backflushed. My hoses had arrows heater core hose O.D is 3/4 so you could slice a garden hose and use a barb connector.
when done, refill the radiator, start and idle till it can't take any more coolant.

If you can change engine oil, you can pull it off. Took like 15min.

I was not intending to so a write up so I did not take pics.

·
Registered
258 Posts
When it gets warmer with rpms, that's usually an indication of slight blockage or air. It can be a real pain to get all of the air out of these things unless you get the front up in the air. Even then, the preferred method is to vacuum fill/bleed. You can get them for pretty cheap.

I'd also check the two lines going to the firewall. They should both be hot, but one slightly less hotter than the other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts