Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m new to this forum. I had this A/C malfunction just last Sunday. Blowing hot air, after I got back from half hour drive, I shut it off, waited for 15 minutes or so then hooked up with my gauge. It reads 90 psi both hi and low, which is seem to be fine for my ambient temperature. Fuses were OK, I didn’t see a relay for this. I checked blend door actuation. There were 2 actuators by the way, the rear was ok for sure coz I can see it moves clockwise or counterclockwise when turning the knob cool to hot or the other way. The front actuator is seem to be ok by just listen blend door changing its tone.
I didn’t find any leaks. Was looking for hi/lo pressure switches but I couldn’t find any along the lines though. However there is one attached or built-in with a receiver drier which I believe part of a condenser assembly. It’s a 3-wire pressure switch/sensor (which normally 2-wire). Haven’t tested the coil clutch yet.
I was wondering for my dashboard a/c climate control quit working but really sure.
I need technical advice if anyone had same issue. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

This is what I'd do:
Check if the compressor's clutch is engaging.
  • Yes, is there some cooling?
  • - Yes, the issue could be air distribution.
  • - No, your system could be low on gas
  • No, run a wire and check if the magnet is good or bad
  • - Its good, the system could be low on gas or there could be some electrical issue on the controls
  • - Its bad, replace it

Start there. There have been some reports of bad magnets and some of corroded rear AC lines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum !

This is what I'd do:
Check if the compressor's clutch is engaging.
  • Yes, is there some cooling?
  • - Yes, the issue could be air distribution.
  • - No, your system could be low on gas
  • No, run a wire and check if the magnet is good or bad
  • - Its good, the system could be low on gas or there could be some electrical issue on the controls
  • - Its bad, replace it
Start there. There have been some reports of bad magnets and some of corroded rear AC lines.
Thank you, I’ll do that this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering how you made out. Had same problem with prior PF and had to replace AC.
I haven’t done much yet but I tried unplugging coil clutch connector, not enough room in that area so I can’t feed 12v to see it reacts. Loosened acc drive belt off, pulley &clutch plate were fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wondering how you made out. Had same problem with prior PF and had to replace AC.
I’ve just done another investigation. I was able to pin-point the wire harness for clutch coil, I removed the connector off of the clutch coil, continuity of each wire was good, checked with ohmmeter across terminals and nothing or zero ohms there or “open circuit” in this case. Tried to energized that magnetic coil but the clutch plate still turning freely by hand. In a normal working order it should engage. So I will have to remove my AC compressor and change the coil.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,850 Posts
Not sure how much clearance there is but try to remove it without completely removing the compressor. I was able to do it years ago on a Mazda.
Be aware that the clearance between the clutch and pulley is important and there could be some shims on the clutch. Don't lose those.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve just done another investigation. I was able to pin-point the wire harness for clutch coil, I removed the connector off of the clutch coil, continuity of each wire was good, checked with ohmmeter across terminals and nothing or zero ohms there or “open circuit” in this case. Tried to energized that magnetic coil but the clutch plate still turning freely by hand. In a normal working order it should engage. So I will have to remove my AC compressor and change the coil.
Did you resolve this? If you did, what was the root cause. My 2014 PF shows the AC light on, but no cooling at all. Mechanic mentioned something about there was no power to the compressor, but he didn't know how to repair it and suggested the stealership.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll refrain from my usual rant when I see the word stealership get used and try not to see red...I answered your question in the other thread about the ac not turning on. There are many reasons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll refrain from my usual rant when I see the word stealership get used and try not to see red...I answered your question in the other thread about the ac not turning on. There are many reasons.
Sorry, sir. Just using the typical forum lingo. No offense intended. I'll check out your reply.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you resolve this? If you did, what was the root cause. My 2014 PF shows the AC light on, but no cooling at all. Mechanic mentioned something about there was no power to the compressor, but he didn't know how to repair it and suggested the stealership.
Yes, I had mine (nissan pathfinder 2015) fixed. I replaced the magnetic coil on the A/C compressor. It wasn’t too bad to change though. I purchased A/C clutch kit from eBay (US $78.75) The dealership or even the other auto parts store would not sell it separately, you have to get the whole complete A/C compressor. It’s ridiculous! and so the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts