Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had one snap off. Its just the head of it that snapped off it looked like it might be repairable. Took it to dealer. 900$ to replace they have to change the whole thing because they 'changed the design'. Yea probably a reason for that. After it being like that for awhile the strain snapped the other one off.

So I've seen a lot of people with the same issues. But noone seems to post what they did about it. I've also seen something about the computer for the liftgate also needing to be replaced.
I've kept an eye out at wreckers but nothing 2013+ in like over a year of checking. Not really surprising. And even if they DID have it, they would probably be on the edge of breaking too...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Our 2014 is starting to creak a lot from (I think) the liftgate struts. The socket heads are rusting and cracking. I fear a very expensive repair!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the liftgate strut snap on the passenger side of my 2014. The dealer says it is having trouble finding a replacement. ahhhhh!!!!

Also, the extended extra care gold warranty doesn't cover the repair. Ugh!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I had one snap off. Its just the head of it that snapped off it looked like it might be repairable. Took it to dealer. 900$ to replace they have to change the whole thing because they 'changed the design'. Yea probably a reason for that. After it being like that for awhile the strain snapped the other one off.

So I've seen a lot of people with the same issues. But noone seems to post what they did about it. I've also seen something about the computer for the liftgate also needing to be replaced.
I've kept an eye out at wreckers but nothing 2013+ in like over a year of checking. Not really surprising. And even if they DID have it, they would probably be on the edge of breaking too...

You say they changed the design.....does that mean they no longer make the part for the 2014????

·
Registered
18 Posts
You say they changed the design.....does that mean they no longer make the part for the 2014????
This same problem happened to my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and because they changed the design the only option offered was to replace all parts with new design approx $2,000.00 or convert to a manual system approx $500.00. I managed to source new strut support bracket bolts from the US and managed to drill out the rusted and seized support ball and bracket bolt. My cost was around $60.00 Canadian and two hours of my time. I am currently developing a step by step set of instructions with pictures to describe the repair process.

·
Registered
89 Posts
... I managed to source new strut support bracket bolts from the US and managed to drill out the rusted and seized support ball and bracket bolt. My cost was around $60.00 Canadian and two hours of my time. I am currently developing a step by step set of instructions with pictures to describe the repair process.
That'd be very helpful indeed. Mine had rust build up so I hit them with a wire brush and sprayed Rust-oleum Rust Reformer. That was somewhere in October last year. Yet to see rust resurface... might be too early to tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This same problem happened to my 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and because they changed the design the only option offered was to replace all parts with new design approx $2,000.00 or convert to a manual system approx $500.00. I managed to source new strut support bracket bolts from the US and managed to drill out the rusted and seized support ball and bracket bolt. My cost was around $60.00 Canadian and two hours of my time. I am currently developing a step by step set of instructions with pictures to describe the repair process.
That would be handy Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes please Ronald. I can’t stomach a $2K repair. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, I finally completed the description of a repair procedure that I developed to resolve the seized and broken rear hatch strut support stud on my 2014 Pathfinder SL.

If you are successful using this repair please let everyone know your thoughts. God Bless and stay safe.
Hi Ronald,

The same thing happened to me 2014 Pathfinder - bolt snapped when trunk closing (185K) Nissan Canada does not want to do anything and Dealership won’t do anything and wants close to 2K to replace both struts or $550 plus tax to replace struts only. I am curious if your fix will work for me. The dealership removed the tailgate strut.
On a side note - I noticed they did a recall in the US for Nissan Rogues 2014-2016 for what appears to the be the same issue. Would love to your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Monty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Ronald,

The same thing happened to me 2014 Pathfinder - bolt snapped when trunk closing (185K) Nissan Canada does not want to do anything and Dealership won’t do anything and wants close to 2K to replace both struts or $550 plus tax to replace struts only. I am curious if your fix will work for me. The dealership removed the tailgate strut.
On a side note - I noticed they did a recall in the US for Nissan Rogues 2014-2016 for what appears to the be the same issue. Would love to your thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Monty
View attachment 15318 View attachment 15319
Hi Monty, the repair that I used for the broken strut mount stud will work for your 2014 Nissan Pathfinder. The dealer probably removed the strut to prevent it from extending when you open the hatch with the power button in the on position. I simply shut off the power button and opened manually until I was able to do the repair. Is the broken stud ball still rusted in the strut? If not, your repair will be easier to perform as you will not need to drill it out. After reading the rogue recall info, while it is a corrosion problem it relates to a failure with the integrity of the strut cylinder and gas leaked out. I contacted Nissan Canada when my strut mount failed and suggested that the repair I developed should be offered as an option instead of replacing all parts but was informed that Nissan parts are superior!! Good luck with the repair, Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
@Ronald St.Peter I read your guide and if I understood correctly, the part that failed is the lower strut mount which you repaired.
I found they do sell that part without buying the whole assembly, am I missing something?
The strut mount that rusted and seized is the outer mount or lower when the hatch is closed. If you were able to find a Nissan parts department that offers this part for sale that would be wonderful, the dealers I contacted indicated this part was not available. Maybe you could post the name and part number for others to order from Nissan dealers in their area. If the stud ball is seized in the strut it will still need to be drilled out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you open the link embedded in "that part"? Isn't that the same part you repaired?
Lower Bracket.
Upper Bracket
Yes these two strut support brackets are the same as I repaired by replacing only the stud bolt. If the cost for the bracket is 31.00 US dollars and the bolts I sourced from the US are around $5.00 plus shipping people can decide what to purchase. I chose to replace the bolts as I did not locate where to purchase the replacement brackets. It may help others if you could add the bracket replacement links to the repair procedure I provided as an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes these two strut support brackets are the same as I repaired by replacing only the stud bolt. If the cost for the bracket is 31.00 US dollars and the bolts I sourced from the US are around $5.00 plus shipping people can decide what to purchase. I chose to replace the bolts as I did not locate where to purchase the replacement brackets. It may help others if you could add the bracket replacement links to the repair procedure I provided as an option.
Hi Ronald,

I had one more question - took 2 additional pictures. The outer where the ball fits into the socket below appears to have a fair bit of rust and from what I understand that socket that attaches to the strut cannot be removed. Their also appears to be a thin metal band around the back part of the socket that is also heavily rusted. I just wanted to make sure replacing the ball in this situation would still work and remain in the socket. The second pic is the lower part of the bracket. Thanks again for your insights.

Monty

428DBC01-75FC-40C0-BF77-1C7B3A9CB2E4.jpeg
0D71CF8F-5D03-45A6-A4C8-183A40AF67E9.jpeg
428DBC01-75FC-40C0-BF77-1C7B3A9CB2E4.jpeg
0D71CF8F-5D03-45A6-A4C8-183A40AF67E9.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Ronald,

I had one more question - took 2 additional pictures. The outer where the ball fits into the socket below appears to have a fair bit of rust and from what I understand that socket that attaches to the strut cannot be removed. Their also appears to be a thin metal band around the back part of the socket that is also heavily rusted. I just wanted to make sure replacing the ball in this situation would still work and remain in the socket. The second pic is the lower part of the bracket. Thanks again for your insights.

Monty

View attachment 15320 View attachment 15321 View attachment 15320 View attachment 15321 View attachment 15320 View attachment 15321
Great clear pictures, the rusted broken off stud ball may need to be drilled out of the strut, sometimes you can release it by soaking with rust remover. The metal thin clip needs to be carefully removed using a small straight screwdriver, lift one side at a time to remove.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
2,902 Posts
After soaking it and removing the clip, you could drill a small hole at the back so you can push the ball out using a nail and hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great clear pictures, the rusted broken off stud ball may need to be drilled out of the strut, sometimes you can release it by soaking with rust remover. The metal thin clip needs to be carefully removed using a small straight screwdriver, lift one side at a time to remove.
Hi Ronald,

I saw these Ball Stud hardware on Amazon. Would these work? Also - did you replace both sides as I imagine it will only be time before the other side experiences the same issues.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts