Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 2014 that has had any transmission problems yet? Of course they have only been out for a short while and "normally" from my experience the problem occurred a/b every 600 - 700 miles after the "fix". Just thought I'd throw this out there to get more info.

As I absolutely love the PF, but hate the trans issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Good question.. I too would like to know the answer... Pretty sure the issue will still probably be there as no design changes were made to the trans ( at least that I've heard of ).

·
Registered
212 Posts
I expect to read of some 2014 Pathfinders having the same transmission issue.
If Nissan had a fix for the 2014s why wouldn't they make that fix available to those with 2013s experiencing this issue.
I still believe Nissan hasn't a clue as to the cause and these so called fixes to date, are just band aids on a larger issue.
BTW...so far 800 miles with my Pathfinder and no shudder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know if anyone has an answer to this. We are really considering this vehicle, but this has us concerned.

We bought the 2002 Explorer when it came out. It was a new body style with a new transmission. We had all sorts of issues. I really don't want to go down that road again. Right now the PF is only one we are really interested in, but ......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Anyone have a 2014 that has had any transmission problems yet? Of course they have only been out for a short while and "normally" from my experience the problem occurred a/b every 600 - 700 miles after the "fix". Just thought I'd throw this out there to get more info.

there's at least 1 other thread here regarding the shudder issue on the 2014 models. My 2014 SL is currently waiting for a new CVT. Mine has an intermitant shuddering issue. The problem first occured after 500 miles and was very slight. Then at 1K miles i took it to the dealer and it took them a few days to replicate the issue. They reprogrammed the TCM and that worked for a while. At around 3500 miles the shudder came back. Took it to the dealer and now I'm waiting on a replacement CVT. My PF drives great except for the intermitant shudder. Theyre telling me it will take at least 3-4 weeks for the CVT.

·
Registered
262 Posts
there's at least 1 other thread here regarding the shudder issue on the 2014 models. My 2014 SL is currently waiting for a new CVT. Mine has an intermitant shuddering issue. The problem first occured after 500 miles and was very slight. Then at 1K miles i took it to the dealer and it took them a few days to replicate the issue. They reprogrammed the TCM and that worked for a while. At around 3500 miles the shudder came back. Took it to the dealer and now I'm waiting on a replacement CVT. My PF drives great except for the intermitant shudder. Theyre telling me it will take at least 3-4 weeks for the CVT.
I wonder what it is that is causing this headache. As far as i know the JX/QX60 uses the same CVT as Pathfinder except its belt driven instead of chain driven and the '13 JX's havent seen any issues, for '14 rumor has it the QX60 got the Pathfinders CVT, considering the QX60s tow rating was also boosted to pathfinders 5,000lbs id say it seems true.

but how can the difference of chain vs belt cause so much shenanigans?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I wonder what it is that is causing this headache. As far as i know the JX/QX60 uses the same CVT as Pathfinder except its belt driven instead of chain driven and the '13 JX's havent seen any issues, for '14 rumor has it the QX60 got the Pathfinders CVT, considering the QX60s tow rating was also boosted to pathfinders 5,000lbs id say it seems true.

I guess the belt heats up, expands, and then thats where the problems starts, mean while the chain stays consistent and doesn't have as many issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I drove a 2014 for about 400 miles while my 2013 pf was being repaired and it has the shudder worse than my 2013 before they started the repairs.

After their repair attempts on my 2013 the issues kept getting worse to the point it would not drive of 10mph and had to be towed to the dealer and it has been there since sept 5th waiting on a new transmission.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We may never know, but the CVT8HT (the chain version in the Pathfinder and V6 Altimas) has different pulleys/variators than the belt version of the CVT8. In a technical paper written by Nissan for the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers:

"CVT8HT pulleys were then actually machined according to the optimal machining conditions derived in the previous section.

Unfortunately, it was found that the process did not have sufficient capacity to achieve the desired surface roughness. However, it was verified that the level obtained would facilitate mass production on the assumption that all pulleys would be inspected."

In a separate paper, Nissan discusses the 'clamping forces' which is a measurement of how much the pulleys 'grab' the chain to allow it to transfer force from one pulley to another:

"Drive torque is transmitted by means of the friction force of both the belt or chain and the pulley sheeve face that serves as the mating part. Accordingly, if the force (pulley thrust) produced by the applied hydraulic pressure to clamp the belt or chain is set too low, slip occurs between the mating parts. Conversely, if the clamping force is set too high, it puts a higher load on the oil pump that generates hydraulic pressure, thereby increasing friction loss."

Therefore, the problems with the CVT8HT chain version may (or may not) be related to the pulleys that have to be visually inspected and approved (assuming that they catch all of the unacceptable pulleys), and/or it may be related to the way the pulleys 'grab' the chain.

It is interesting to note that while some judder is eliminated by replacing the torque converter, based on other postings on this forum, there remains a 'pressure judder' that Nissan has apparently not yet figured out. Perhaps Nissan needs to double check those pulleys and re-evaluate how they clamp onto the chain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for this somewhat technical info. I save these posts for "ammunition"
In the event I encounter the dreaded problem.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
We may never know, but the CVT8HT (the chain version in the Pathfinder and V6 Altimas) has different pulleys/variators than the belt version of the CVT8. In a technical paper written by Nissan for the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers:
You always seem to come up with great technical information - I'm just curious, how do you find it? Do you work in the automotive industry?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You always seem to come up with great technical information - I'm just curious, how do you find it? Do you work in the automotive industry?
Yes, I had the same question? Mechical Engineer?

·
Registered
234 Posts

"CVT8HT pulleys were then actually machined according to the optimal machining conditions derived in the previous section.

Unfortunately, it was found that the process did not have sufficient capacity to achieve the desired surface roughness. However, it was verified that the level obtained would facilitate mass production on the assumption that all pulleys would be inspected."

In a separate paper, Nissan discusses the 'clamping forces' which is a measurement of how much the pulleys 'grab' the chain to allow it to transfer force from one pulley to another:

"Drive torque is transmitted by means of the friction force of both the belt or chain and the pulley sheeve face that serves as the mating part. Accordingly, if the force (pulley thrust) produced by the applied hydraulic pressure to clamp the belt or chain is set too low, slip occurs between the mating parts. Conversely, if the clamping force is set too high, it puts a higher load on the oil pump that generates hydraulic pressure, thereby increasing friction loss."

Therefore, the problems with the CVT8HT chain version may (or may not) be related to the pulleys that have to be visually inspected and approved (assuming that they catch all of the unacceptable pulleys), and/or it may be related to the way the pulleys 'grab' the chain.

It is interesting to note that while some judder is eliminated by replacing the torque converter, based on other postings on this forum, there remains a 'pressure judder' that Nissan has apparently not yet figured out. Perhaps Nissan needs to double check those pulleys and re-evaluate how they clamp onto the chain.

Have to ask - where did you get access to this? It seems like this is smoking gun information that shows Nissan should not have mass produced this.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Most engineering groups have their own professional societies that they use to share information. In America, it is SAE, or the Society of Automotive Engineers. In Japan, it is the Japanese Society of Automotive Engineers, or JSAE. In researching the CVT problem, I found that Nissan/JATCO had actually produced a book of technical papers in late 2012 that fully describe how they developed the CVT8 and CVT8HT. It is interesting to read, because it is Japanese on the left, and English on the right of each page, but still the information is there and it is in the public domain for anyone to buy and read. I posted a couple of topics on it a month or so ago and in the postings is a link to the site where you can buy your own copy if you would like. The book was about $50 in PDF form, and was well worth it. Note that the PDF is copy protected, so you can't share copies with others, but you can print it to paper form.

It is not that they should have not mass produced it, it is more like they should have done more field testing before releasing it - note that the problems often don't show up for hundreds or thousands of miles. And everything is 'fixable' - the issue is that Nissan *appears* to be trying to implement the cheap fixes and not the 'real' fix (whatever that is), which one may conclude costs a lot more $$$ to implement as compared to putting rebuilt transmissions in. They are not dumb, the 'real' fix will be quietly phased into 2014-1/2 models, but there will be no grand announcement "We fixed the CVT8HT shudder/judder problems!" because that then opens the doors to lawsuits and increased buybacks, etc for owners of 2013 and 2014 models.

I have filed my BBB Autoline arbitration paperwork, and am currently awaiting a phone call from Nissan to start the buyback process, so I do not want to tip my hand on the forum (just in case anyone from Nissan is keeping up with our posts), but let's just say at this point that you would not want to represent Nissan on the other side of the table across from me at either arbitration or litigation.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have filed my BBB Autoline arbitration paperwork, and am currently awaiting a phone call from Nissan to start the buyback process, so I do not want to tip my hand on the forum (just in case anyone from Nissan is keeping up with our posts), but let's just say at this point that you would not want to represent Nissan on the other side of the table across from me at either arbitration or litigation.
I would love to be a fly on the wall in your arbitration hearing with Nissan. That would be so entertaining :) But I doubt it will get there. Nissan caved with me and I bet they will do the same with you.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would love to be a fly on the wall in your arbitration hearing with Nissan. That would be so entertaining :) But I doubt it will get there. Nissan caved with me and I bet they will do the same with you.
Hope so, would love to have the next vehicle before end of year. Then I won't be clogging up the forum with all of my posts! (too much free time).

·
Registered
212 Posts
They are not dumb, the 'real' fix will be quietly phased into 2014-1/2 models, but there will be no grand announcement "We fixed the CVT8HT shudder/judder problems!" because that then opens the doors to lawsuits and increased buybacks, etc for owners of 2013 and 2014 models.
I would be happy if they just gave me the fix in the form of a recall when the problem is finally solved. I wouldn't sue or ask for a buy back...I just want piece of mind.
Not having many problems now, very infrequent, short lived shuddering, but this CVT issue always in the back of my mind.
I'm still crazy about my Pathfinder however. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Note that the PDF is copy protected, so you can't share copies with others, but you can print it to paper form.
...but can the PDF be printed, scanned and sent in a private message?
I sure would be interested in reading it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my new 2014 pf. I wished I have read all this reviews before. My pf has that shaking problem just like all you guys are explaining. I took to the dealer and they made it worse. They order a new transmission and I hope that is the end of this issue. I will go back next week to get that cvt installed. I bought a new car to be issue free. I didn't buy a Kia I bought Land vehicle Vehicle Car Crossover suv Sport utility vehicle a Nissan. Very upsetting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got my new 2014 pf. I wished I have read all this reviews before. My pf has that shaking problem just like all you guys are explaining. I took to the dealer and they made it worse. They order a new transmission and I hope that is the end of this issue. I will go back next week to get that cvt installed. I bought a new car to be issue free. I didn't buy a Kia I bought View attachment 1514 a Nissan. Very upsetting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

From what my neighbor was told, Now Nissan has put a hold on dealers on attempting to repair the pf's. they now have to have approval before can do ANY transmission repair. ( don't know if its true just what he was told ), and that applies to both 2013 & 2014 models. his service advisor he said is a very nice guy and talks a lot for a free cup of starbucks!

Side note yes more research would have done you good.. but like you said sad that you can't buy a new car and it perform as it should.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts