Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
now that I have owned it for about a month now, I think I low enough about it to write a full review.
Basically I'm gonna be comparing it to my last 2 pathfinders which where last gen 2005 and 2008 both SE models and then a few things compared to my last Nissan 2011 Murano SV.
So I lease my vehicles and have since 2005. I find I enjoy getting a new vehicle every 3 years and not having to buy tires, brakes , tune ups etc. The downside is I also have a car payment. So having a new car outweighs the negative so away I go.
When I leased my first Pathfinder in 2005 , it was a new adventure for me. I came out of a 2000 BMW 328i which I loved to death but found that it wasn't what I needed in a vehicle. I started Mountain biking and was borrowing my wife's 2001 Nissan Xterra. It has a 2 inch tow hitch factory and I purchased a Thule Bike rack for it. Bad thing is when I went riding, the wife was stuck at home as she couldn't drive my BMW as it was a Manual. I tried to teach her but she hated shifting gears. She grew up all Automatic.
One day she came to me and said "please trade in your BMW for a newer one with a Automatic transmission so when you go riding I can go out if I need to.
So Off I went to the BMW dealer and test drove the brand new 2005 BMW 330i Sport Premium Automatic. As it was a very nice car , I hated the Automatic.
I shopped around a bit looking at different cars and didn't want anything else but my BMW. But then I saw the Billboard for the brand newSilver with Charcoal Interior Nissan Pathfinder 2005 model. I thought it was badass looking and I was not a truck guy. I went to test drove one and fell in love.
I was a SE model with a Sun roof Tow Bose Stereo system and all the goodies a SE carried. It was totally awesome. I loved everything about it.
When the Lease was running out , I wanted another one. So in 2008 I picked up a beautiful Blue one with Charcoal interior SE loaded exactly like the 2005 but it had the brand new back up camera , Power window auto roll down now on both front windows.
I lost my job due to the economy forcing our company to close. I was making great money and when I found a new job , it was getting paid quite a bit less. I had to adjust our lifestyle and when this lease was up I was going to go with a Murano which Leased a bit less and got better gas mileage but I was able to get a Tow Hitch and loaded up beautifully with a full dual Sun roof. It was a SV now model which the dropped the Bose stereo which pissed me off as I felt it didn't sound as good as my Pathfinder but I lived with it and away I went.
Over the years I started my own business part time and kept working full time. I make a bit more money now and can breath a little bit better.
Still I wanted to trim some fat and get into a Rouge the new body style as I could load it up and get a tow hitch on it for my bike rack and be cool with even better MPG.
Well after driving it and the Pathfinder , I didn't want another Murano I really liked the Pathfinder much better. Honestly you don't learn everything from researching online or a test drive or 2 , you really get to know your vehicle after you own it for awhile.

So the 2014 Pathfinder SV is what I got as I like cloth interior but lost my Sun roof. I got all my other goodies I like which are a Tow package , Crossbars and fog lights.
Now the SV package doesn't come with a Tow Hitch , cross bars and Fog lights. They are now all options. I didn't like that one bit as both my SE Pathfinders all all 3 PLUS a sunroof which you can't get on a SV either. This really annoyed me and I almost just went for a SL so I can get my Sun roof but my goal was to save a few pennies and I was not doing so going with the Pathfinder anyway so I decided to live without the Sun roof this time.

EXTERIOR.
This is a good looking truck or Crossover whatever you want to call it. I like the new design but didn't when it came out. I kinda grew on my since owning the Murano I started to enjoy the softer side of Nissan. The factory rims are very nice and I very pleased to have Continental Tires. I have always had good luck with them I loved them on my BMW which came with them.
The doors however make a strange POP sound when you open them. I didn't notice this when I was at the Dealer, it was days later when it was quite in my garage and I got out and noticed it. I also noticed the fit of the back doors seem to be slightly out of adjustment. The door corners hand ever so slightly lower then the back panels. I'm gonna have Nissan look at them.
I also noticed the front grill and bumper to squeak when you wash it by hand. It feels cheaper then my last 3 Nissans. The quality seems a bit lowered. It looks good but feels cheap.
One thing I really miss is the back window. the Murano didn't allow you to open it on the back door or hatch , both my Pathfinders did which was extremely useful especially when you have a bike rack on the back. The new Pathfinder is very like the Murano with no ability to open the window , you have to open the entire Hatch up. This suck IMO and the Pathfinder IMO should have a window that opens. I don't like that at all.
Also where the **** is the step bars? Um this is a Nissan SV level and should have Step bars, what the **** are these cheap crappy bottom skirt things? They are useless and look stupid. I do not like them at all as they have no function and look terrible. I Suggest to Nissan to remove them for the next model year and go back to the Step bars as a Pathfinder should have on it above the S level trim.

INTERIOR
Now this is a place where I feel Nissan did a great job. I find the dash board to be wonderful and a huge improvement over the last Gen Pathfinders and better then my Murano. It does share some of the same design as the Murano like the Stereo controls , screen Climate is about exact.
One thing I was surprised with is no Blue Tooth Music streaming. And they reused the older Display. Someone on here commented on how old looking it is and I completely agree. I'm actually shocked that Nissan decided to keep using it. I think it sucks. I feel it should be a touch screen with better video quality and look. My 2008 had the same thing which was cool then and not now. So again you now have to go SL IF you want something better.
The Seats are amazing. I could sleep in any one of them if I had to. It's amazingly comfortable. My Murano was close to this comfort level and thats one thing I loved about the Murano. It was awesome to drive. The last Gen Pathfinders seats didn't even compare. They where nice but nothing like these.
The back is rug and now rubber which I think Nissan should have offered a rubber back instead of just rug. I now have to get a 2nd row back mat so I can carry stuff and not ruin the rug which I find useless. I do however dig the big storage box in the back.
Which leads me to the missing storage boxes underneath the 2nd row. Both my 05 and 08 had them and they where wonderful especially if you wanted to keep some things in the truck that if someone broke in , they had to do some work to get to which if you didn't own a Pathfinder , you didn't know they where there. I loved that about them and miss them on this model.
The dual Glove boxes are also now gone. I loved having them and think these super deep singles suck ass. They are 2 deep and useless .
The Center console arm rest on the cloth model SV is now also cloth. I don't like it as it feels weird . I'm use to having leather steering wheel , lester shifter and leather arm rest. I mean it's not the end of the world but honestly I have considered getting it swapped out for a leather model.
Now the steering wheel and controls? Much better then all 3 of my last Nissans. It's the very best layout of the steering controls ever. I love the joystick like feel and the placement is excellent. The Murano sucked ass as I kept hitting the source button when I just wanted to chafe the station or volume. It was better on the Last Gen Pathfinders over the Murano but this new layout is perfect.

FUEL
I didn't notice better gas mileage over my Murano like it says on the website. it's only a mile or 2 but honestly I think it's a mile or 2 less. It seems to run though tanks faster then the Murano did. It's not a huge deal as for as big as it is to still get that close in gas mileage is pretty good if you ask me.

PERFORMANCE
This is a place I feel it lacks. It feels slightly under powered. My 2005 and 2008 felt faster and way more responsive. I feel it feels a bit lazy on acceleration. It's nice when you want to just Sunday drive and cruise around at a slow pace but when you want to get out of your own way , it take it a bit to get going. Passing it ok but all 3 of my last Nissans felt much better. The Murano had a little of this going on but was more responsive off the line. The last gen Pathfinders felt awesome off the line and felt very responsive. I'd like to have a bit more power. If I wasn't leasing it I would go with a Chip , K&N cold air system and a performance exhaust to wake it up a bit.

Overall honestly I have mixed feelings about my new ride. I love the color I got Red with Charcoal interior so it looks awesome and it's exactly the colors I wanted but I'm a bit disappointed in a few things.
I had to have Fog lights Installed , crossbars and the Tow Hitch. These things should be standard equipment on a SV and up. I understand not getting them on the entry level S model but once you move up you should get them.
Also the rug in the 2nd row is cut wrong from the factory. Nissan had to order me an entire new rug. This should have been caught before it was released for sale. I noticed it and told them about it. The cheap front end and no opening rear window is a pretty big deal. I feel they have removed some things that take away the Pathfinder experience for me anyway.
I have come to expect a lot from Nissan as I have been driving them since 1990 both my wife and myself. I did own a BMW in 2000 to 2005 which after that I have been all Nissan with my 2005 2008 Pathfinders , 2001 Murano and now the 2014 Pathfinder. My wife has had a 1990 Maxima SE which was amazing, 2001 Xterra which was also amazing, she now drive a 2013 Sentra SR which is a great small but large interior car thats loaded very well and costs very little.

I do however like how the new pathfinder feels going down the road. It cruises very nicely and I can see a long trip being very enjoyable.
I'm hoping over the next 3 years Nissan makes some upgrades and really makes it more Pathfinder like and improves on the quality. I want to go back to a roof so if they don't offer a roof in 2017 I'm gonna have to go SL and leather which I can live with it's nice to have leather interior.

So what do you guys think? Any last Gen owners step on over to this new model? I'd love to get your opinions .

·
Registered
442 Posts
The 2014 is my first Pathfinder, even though I've owned Nissans since 1998 (Sentras and Altimas). I actually stayed away from the last gen Pathfinder because it was so truck-like...would've served me well in my early 20s, but not so much anymore. Of course, about the only thing the last gen and the new Pathfinder share is the name, because practically everything else is different. I also share your observations on the SV; I think they equipped it "just enough" to differentiate from the S, but there really is no comparison with the SL model when it comes to standard features and creature comforts: the SL is easily worth the extra couple of grand.

As for your preferrence for leasing, may I suggest a different approach the next time you are in the market: buying outright. Considering you can buy these vehicles at substantial discounts to MSRP ($8k-$10k or more), even if you financed nearly the whole purchase amount over six years and wanted to turn it in after three, you should still have some equity in the vehicle when you were ready to do so, plus you wouldn't have any of the "gotchas" of leasing: mileage overages, charges for body damage or "reconditioning", etc.

For example, a base SL Pathy MSRPs at roughly $36,500 (with destination fee). A standard discount from a volume dealer (at least here in Central Florida) is roughly $8,000. Add in tax and tag and you are right at $31k OTD. Lets say you have really good credit (which you should considering your leasing history), you can finance that over six years, and at 3% through NMAC, for roughly $471 a month. Now, that might be higher then your current payment, but remember this is a higher trim level and we put no money down in our example. And here's the important part, after 36 months, you owe about $16k on a vehicle that should still get you $18k-$20k in trade, plus the benefit of a $1,400 sales tax break towards your next one because of your trade. Assuming you got $19k in trade, that leaves you with approximately $4,400 in equity/sales tax savings towards your next one....more equity, I believe, then your lease would offer. And the biggest benefit of all; it's yours so you can do with it whatever you wish.

Just something to consider for next time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise
I have excellent credit to the point that my lease payments are only 386 a month which is very nice. I'm always pre approved from Nissan and I can lease anything I want. I have considered owning but haven't found a vehicle I want to own more then the 3 year term.
Nissan never charges me anything when I trade in, I always get a credit anyway due to low mileage and excellent condition. I keep my vehicles in tip top Garage condition. They are always the best looking preowned vehicle on the lot even on trade in. I'm also a X detailer so they are even as clean as a whistle and always fully waxed.
I never have damage either as I never park next to anyone and again it's in the garage when not in use.

Next time I'm going fully loaded as I'm not playing these games with options again. I don't care if I have to have leather interior which is fine. I prefer the cloth and all my options but that didn't happen this time around.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the advise
I have excellent credit to the point that my lease payments are only 386 a month which is very nice. I'm always pre approved from Nissan and I can lease anything I want. I have considered owning but haven't found a vehicle I want to own more then the 3 year term.
Nissan never charges me anything when I trade in, I always get a credit anyway due to low mileage and excellent condition. I keep my vehicles in tip top Garage condition. They are always the best looking preowned vehicle on the lot even on trade in. I'm also a X detailer so they are even as clean as a whistle and always fully waxed.
I never have damage either as I never park next to anyone and again it's in the garage when not in use.

Next time I'm going fully loaded as I'm not playing these games with options again. I don't care if I have to have leather interior which is fine. I prefer the cloth and all my options but that didn't happen this time around.
Sounds like you have a good handle on your leasing. My suggestion came to mind after seeing the current NMAC offer to lease an S 4X4 Pathfinder at $279/month with $2,399 down, over 36 months, which I thought wasn't nearly as favorable as buying a nicer vehicle and trading it in after three years. And the more I look at it, the less favorable it seems.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have a good handle on your leasing. My suggestion came to mind after seeing the current NMAC offer to lease an S 4X4 Pathfinder at $279/month with $2,399 down, over 36 months, which I thought wasn't nearly as favorable as buying a nicer vehicle and trading it in after three years. And the more I look at it, the less favorable it seems.
When you earn the right to be pre approved by Nissan , you have the advantage when leasing. Nissan Dealers love pre approved Nissan credit and are very willing to work with you on the lease price.
I always get the deal I want as I don't go outside of reason. I never ask for more then a fair deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts