Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - Happy New Year all:

I have been hearing some clunking noises on my 2014 Pathy front end whenever I go over bumps..., accompanied by bumps / bounces. Car has 120K miles on it.

During a complementary check with oil change, one dealer recommended that I replace both lower control arms @ $1100 total, but another dealer didn't report any problems with the arms during their complementary check.

I took the car for a second opinion at Firestone under their complete car care package. They recommended that front struts and rear shocks need replacement, as well as the sway bar link.

I told the mechanic that there was a concern for the lower control arms, but he told me he didn't find any. The technician then took me to the car and showed me that the arms were still ok, as were the ball joints. Since I bought the car new and none of these (struts, shocks and sway bar links) have never been replaced, at 120K miles, I thought it was probably time to replace them.

What after-market struts and shocks would you recommend? KYB, Monroe?

Thanks in advance for your assistance -

best wishes - Yawo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello - Happy New Year all:

I have been hearing some clunking noises on my 2014 Pathy front end whenever I go over bumps..., accompanied by bumps / bounces. Car has 120K miles on it.

During a complementary check with oil change, one dealer recommended that I replace both lower control arms @ $1100 total, but another dealer didn't report any problems with the arms during their complementary check.

I took the car for a second opinion at Firestone under their complete car care package. They recommended that front struts and rear shocks need replacement, as well as the sway bar link.

I told the mechanic that there was a concern for the lower control arms, but he told me he didn't find any. The technician then took me to the car and showed me that the arms were still ok, as were the ball joints. Since I bought the car new and none of these (struts, shocks and sway bar links) have never been replaced, at 120K miles, I thought it was probably time to replace them.

What after-market struts and shocks would you recommend? KYB, Monroe?

Thanks in advance for your assistance -

best wishes - Yawo
I'm having the same clunks and noises on the front end especially the driver side. I have not replaced the struts. I have checked all suspension components. I'm even suspecting it's the CVT.

My 2015 pathfinder has 125,000 miles.

I'm probably gonna order some KYB struts and installed them myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my CVT has been replaced already ... so I am suspecting the struts. I am also considering the KYBs. Do you buy stock boots?

/Yawo

·
Registered
18 Posts
my CVT has been replaced already ... so I am suspecting the struts. I am also considering the KYBs. Do you buy stock boots?

/Yawo
I'm not planning to buy the boots. They look good and intact. According to the Nissan diagram, it looks like the boot and bumper is all in one piece. Part number 54050M.

·
Registered
18 Posts

/Yawo
Just a curiosity, why did you changed the CVT on yours?

Mine has over 125k and it's the original with no shuddering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the dreaded shuddering .... hence changed initially under warranty ....

Just a curiosity, why did you changed the CVT on yours?
Mine has over 125k and it's the original with no shuddering.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had similar issue about a month ago, but from passenger front end, sounded like a worn strut to me, 70000km, took it to the dealer as i had extended warranty still and they said they needed to replace both the front struts, left and right, as well as the strut mounts as they had a crack in both of them, front left & right.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Generally, if you see oil seeping out of the strut cylinder, the struts are bad. They can still be worn and not leaking, but that's pretty rare, especially for a 2014 with only 120K miles on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Has anyone here put KYB's on their 2013+ PF?

Reason I ask is, KYBs might be awesome on an Xterra, but the specific model for the PF could be junk. You never know. I've been down that road before.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone here put KYB's on their 2013+ PF?

Reason I ask is, KYBs might be awesome on an Xterra, but the specific model for the PF could be junk. You never know. I've been down that road before.
I have. I would say it restored original ride quality. Been over a year and no issues

1 - 14 of 14 Posts