Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I started doing my brakes on my pathfinder, replacing all pads and rotors. Fronts were a breeze.

I started work on the rears this morning, and gave up replacing the rotors because I am unable to remove the lower rear caliper bracket bolt. This is because part of the suspension arm is blocking the way. JMAN - one of the moderators here encountered the same problem, and described it here: https://www.pathfindertalk.com/forum/57-how-forum/31426-brake-maintenance.html

But it is not clear how you can remove this bolt and/or remove the rear rotors.

I will be very grateful if you can help me out here ..

thanks - Oyiwaa

·
Super Moderator
2,006 Posts
I have not done it but can you just remove the bracket with the caliper attached to it? Leave the sliding pin in.
After replacing the rotor you should be able to press the piston back in and swap the pads, a bit more uncomfortable but should be doable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, JMAN: given the tight space between the caliper bracket bolt and the suspension arm, how will you be able to get a socket wrench in there ? Once I am able to remove the bracket, I should be good to go.

Thanks ...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Here's what the service manual says (BR in the collection)

REMOVAL
1. Remove rear wheels and tires using power tool.
2. Secure the disc rotor using wheel nuts.
3. Remove union bolt, copper sealing washers, and disconnect brake hose from brake caliper. Discard the
copper sealing washers.
CAUTION:
Do not reuse copper sealing washers.
4. Remove the torque member bolts. Remove the brake caliper and torque member from the vehicle as an
assembly.
5. Remove sliding pin bolts and the brake caliper from torque member.
CAUTION:
Do not drop brake pads or brake caliper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bolt is tight and needs a breaker-bar. But none can fit there.
So, I tried the combination wrench - but it kept slipping off the bolt, as I apply more torque to it.

Any further ideas will help.

thanks Oy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I saw a solution here using two combination wrenches - in which the closed section of one is attached to the open section of the other for leverage:

I think it will work - I will try it over the weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did mine a couple of months ago and like you I gave up and had to put everything back on first attempt cos of the tight space. I got myself a set of combo wrenches from the store and tried again next day. With a little help from a hammer, I got it lose and then used the wrench to take it off. It was a pain and in hindsight, I'd have used a racheting combo wrench after using the regular combo to break the bolt free. Good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
the rotor comes off after the 2 bolts holding the caliper bracket are removed, 19, 20, 21, 22mm
only need to pull 1 caliper bolt an loosen the other see my photo when I did a recent pads & rotors

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow that's a small caliper. No wonder the pads wear out so quick.
yep, not to many upgrades for bigger rotors & calipers yet unless someone on here can cnc machine up some brackets or fab up some offroad/baja sets. Im all for that because when I tow & have 5 people inside these rear brakes are cooking

·
Registered
176 Posts
In regards to the first post, any late model Nissan I've done a brake job on has the same "design".

Either a caliper bolt is hindered by a brake line or a caliper bracket bolt is hindered by a suspension component.

All you need is a box end wrench for the bracket bolts with limited access.

You can pivot the caliper on one bolt like mentioned above or remove the whole assembly with the bracket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts