Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I searched this forum but cannot find anyone has similar issue.

Basically after I opened my front engine hood cover, I cannot close it now. it won't hook for some reason, no matter how high I drop the hood, does anyone know which piece is causing this issue?

This actually happened once before, and I could close it after few hours. but this time, no luck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mine has the same problem. I found that the hood doesn't close when the in cabin hood release seems loose after you open the hood. The hood release just seems to flap around after opening the hood, as if all tension on it is gone.

If you drive a little over a few bumps the hood release will click pretty loud and if you try to close the hood after that it will latch fine. I think something in the latching mechanism gets stuck on mine. I tried to lube all I can think of but I haven't found where it is getting stuck.

2013 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
422 Posts
so you still dealing with this problem? what happens when it rains?
The hood doesn't close only if I open it. If I don't open it the latch is fine. It seems the latch sometimes gets stuck after opening the hood.

I don't follow your rain comment...

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean what happens when you have an oil change, and the tech can't close your hood.? I have an oil change with Nissan tomorrow, maybe they have some type of magic to close my hood.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh, I guess they know this trick too... Strangely it never happens when I take my car for oil changes or other service. I figure if they can't close the hood it's their problem since I brought the car to them with the hood closed.

My dealership is very good, things like this they'll probably just fix and not tell me. Last time a part of the exhaust rusted out so they replaced it and charged me $30 for the part. They said it was trivial so they didn't even charge labor.

Did your hood close and latch with this technique?

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so last time, when that happened, i brought it to a mechanic (He is no longer in business) who closed in front of me after I tried many times at home with no luck. I was like WTF..!?

And it's happening again. But my hood is not fully closed now. so Nissan will probably know the issue but will try to close it for me, if not working they will want me to replace a part, which will cost an arm.

·
Registered
422 Posts
1. Did you try to drive around over a few bumps just with the first latch engaged? Drive slow 5-10mph is all you need and listen for a loud click. When you hear it, get out and try to close the hood again.

2. Is your hood release lever under the steering wheel loose? Try to jiggle it.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. Did you try to drive around over a few bumps just with the first latch engaged? Drive slow 5-10mph is all you need and listen for a loud click. When you hear it, get out and try to close the hood again.

2. Is your hood release lever under the steering wheel loose? Try to jiggle it.

2002 BMW 325XI

1) I drove around with first latch engaged, but i don't really hear anything... I drove home and try to close the hood again, second latch wouldn't engaged.

2) yes, the hood release lever under the steering wheel is loose, no effect at all when try to pull it.

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wd-40 on the latch under the hood and drive around more.

Maybe play a little with the hood lever under the steering wheel - maybe yours is just more stuck than mine... it should have tension on it. Pull the hood wire back and forth to get tension on the hood lever under the steering wheel. Maybe you need to drive more to free the hood wire wherever it is stuck... more bumps.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've already spray WD40 there, will try what you suggest, as for the hood lever, I thought if the Latch 2 isn't engaged, there's no tension with the hood lever. Is that true?

·
Registered
422 Posts
There should be tension even if latch is not engaged. If there is no tension it means your hood wire is lodged/pinched/stuck somewhere. Driving around and rocking the car can free it. You can also try to trace the hood latch wire from the hood latch all the way back to the lever inside the cabin to see where it is stuck.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that actually making more sense, I have a feeling it's the wire, right now there's no tension on the lever at all and there's extra inch of wire near the lever, I did tried to push the wire in but it keeps on going to the sides.

Is there another place i can pull the wire so it gives tension to the lever under the steering wheel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ya, I tried that, doesn't pull.. But thank you for trying to resolve my issue. I will have nissan look at it, and report back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ya, I tried that, doesn't pull.. But thank you for trying to resolve my issue. I will have nissan look at it, and report back.
Yes, curious what they say. There must be something I am forgetting to lube here but I've always managed to close the hood so "out of sight, out of mind" I guess.

What happens is that if your hood wire is stuck somewhere your hood latch is stuck in open position most likely and that is why no matter how many times or how hard you slam the hood, the latch still remains in open position until you free the hood wire from wherever it is stuck. On mine, driving around over a few bumps generally frees the wire so the latch moves to close position and it catches the hood if I close it after the wire is freed. I wouldn't be surprised if you free the wire while driving to the dealership.

2002 BMW 325XI

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got back from the dealership and they changed my oil and close my hood and didn't say anything.. interesting, but now i am scared of opening the hood.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There are two springs in there, it's the smaller one that sits lower. One of the levers is sticking. You can pop it free with a screwdriver when it sticks. Look at the spring and just help the spring pull it back. You'll see when it happens. The real fox is replacing the assembly. they are not hard to replace.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are two springs in there, it's the smaller one that sits lower. One of the levers is sticking. You can pop it free with a screwdriver when it sticks. Look at the spring and just help the spring pull it back. You'll see when it happens. The real fox is replacing the assembly. they are not hard to replace.
This is the solution. It's not the cable at all that is the issue, but the latch is sticking. Couple of minutes with a screwdriver and you should be able to get it to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts