Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
At least it won't have any torque converter problems......
Why wouldn't it? It's using a 2.5L Supercharged I4 in conjunction with the electric motor but as far as I can tell it uses the same CVT transmission (and nowhere can I find that it is stated that it uses a different CVT than the N/A).

I wonder how interchangeable the LED headlights will be or what their output is like compared to ours... There is no official HID housing (perhaps a mid model refresh will bring that which would likely for no reason that I can think of otherwise be compatible for us to swap out) but the LED might be a more immediate option for something brighter and with a different color.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It uses the Jatco CVT8 Hybrid transmission

New CVT for medium and large FWD vehicles | JATCO Ltd

Also supposedly it uses a belt instead of a chain judging by the 3500lb tow capacity, but this is speculation on my part.

So between the lack of torque converter, twin clutches + electric motor, and belt instead of chain, I would say it's a very different transmission even if it shares a number of parts with the non-hybrid CVT8.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Also supposedly it uses a belt instead of a chain judging by the 3500lb tow capacity, but this is speculation on my part.

So between the lack of torque converter, twin clutches + electric motor, and belt instead of chain, I would say it's a very different transmission even if it shares a number of parts with the non-hybrid CVT8.
I was basing it off of that article only which stated the continued use of the CVT and quoted "the Pathfinder Hybrid is rated at 25/27 mpg city/highway mpg for both FWD and AWD variants." I didn't notice the reduced towing capacity. Either way hopefully it doesn't have the same problems and hopefully the fix them with the existing ones soon.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Why wouldn't it? It's using a 2.5L Supercharged I4 in conjunction with the electric motor but as far as I can tell it uses the same CVT transmission (and nowhere can I find that it is stated that it uses a different CVT than the N/A.
I seem to recall reading an earlier article that the electric motor will sit between the engine and CVT, like some other hybrids (Honda?). If so, that will provide the slip function that a torque converter provides.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If anything it will have more issues. It has dual clutches one for the hybrid mode drive, and one for when cvt when engine is running...

Come on... Nissan can't even make the current cvt shift right and they've attempted this?!

And sure it may have a belt which the old cvt's showed to finally be trustworthy... but adding in all the other things probably just thru that out the window..

time will tell...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I seem to recall reading an earlier article that the electric motor will sit between the engine and CVT, like some other hybrids (Honda?). If so, that will provide the slip function that a torque converter provides.

Correct! But is only "engaged" when the clutch for the electric motor engages to "disengage" the cvt when engine shuts down for hybrid mode.

They should've used something more like Honda or even Toyota, in my opinion but then again I'm not the engineer making deep into 6 figures that designs or takes all the blame for the failure.... lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had to guess, I would say the design was chosen to afford greatest modularity - i.e. the hybrid transmission has the same mount points and major physical dimensions as the non-hybrid, which means they can apply it to any number of cars in their fleet using the other transmission, and hence pass the low premium of the hybrid to the consumer.

Rumor has it that the new gen rogue will be hybridized next year, as will Altima, and probably the Murano as well (if it isn't discontiued), most likely using the same parts.

Obviously a very smart move on Nissan's part, but the two things that have me worried are the supercharger, which is a high wear item, and the tiny size of the electric motor - roughly 20hp - is it really worth all the added complexity?

·
Registered
74 Posts
And too it was suppose to be available late summer / early fall... well its that time of year and still no hybrid.. maybe they have decided to post pone due to a possible issue

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And too it was suppose to be available late summer / early fall... well its that time of year and still no hybrid.. maybe they have decided to post pone due to a possible issue
I prefer they do that rather than release it on time with a bug that they haven't quite worked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I prefer they do that rather than release it on time with a bug that they haven't quite worked out.

I believe Nissan has realized they have enough problems on their hands, with the Pathfinder, jx35 / q60, and v 6 Altima's to throw themselves under another bus so to speak.... but then again they sell the vehicle and don't really care so to speak b/c I have yet to get mine fixed and keep hearing a/b this new tsb later in the month... well when they took my car for trade, they don't wait for me to send them the payment while their trying to "fix" this issue..

If they do release it and have issues ( which i'm 99.9% sure they will ), maybe then the NHTSA will step in and make them fix it, or stop selling the POS's....

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh no, is the electric motor inside the CVT8? Doesn't any modern auto maker (not just Nissan) think about repair and replacement of parts any more?

Yes it is inside the trans.

And no they don't care a/b that b/c out of warranty you will either pay or trade in. either way is a win win for them!

·
Registered
234 Posts

Isn't this the same setup that the Infiniti JW uses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the 2014 hybrid have the unsafe stuttering cvt/torque converter problem or not?

From what I am reading here so far, sounds like it doesn't.

Does anyone here own one and have such issues with it? Hesitation, stuttering, etc?

If not a single person on this forum has this issue then it sounds like this is the car I will buy (despite the fact I have zero confidence in the battery lasting a long time and the higher price).

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
From what I am reading here so far, sounds like it doesn't.

Does anyone here own one and have such issues with it? Hesitation, stuttering, etc?

If not a single person on this forum has this issue then it sounds like this is the car I will buy (despite the fact I have zero confidence in the battery lasting a long time and the higher price).

Thanks!
No one on this site owns a 2014 hybrid yet. This is why you don't see any complaining yet, if anyone actually does it to be seen. 2014 hybrids have not been mass released yet to the public for purchase.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts