Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Pathfinder Talk, I need some help!

My Pathfinder has been a good car with minimal problems over the years - 125,000 miles and counting. Car wouldn’t start a few months back. Thought it was just the battery so got a new one. My car is used so infrequently these days it sat for a couple weeks. Went to use it and it wouldn’t start - this is after I used the power lift gate to load some things into the rear. Assumed the new battery must have had a minimal charge so I plugged the battery into a battery charger and used the “quick start” setting to try to get it back up and running. Didn’t work. Left it on the charger for a full day, still wouldn’t start. Had to be jumped then worked fine.

I made sure to use the car weekly for the last couple months and had zero issues. The whole time I had turned off the lift gate.

This weekend I drove the car 150 miles round trip for a camping trip. When I get home I thought it would be safe to turn the power lift gate back on, I was wrong. Turned on the power lift gate and it worked fine. Open and closed just fine. Tried to turn the car on after and it was dead, no electrical activity at all. Not possible the single open and closing used all the power.

Jumped the car and it worked again. I assume the act of jumping the car is resetting some system or fail safe and not solving any problem? Looking at replacing the car in the next 12 months so not looking to pour lots of $$ into this problem.

Need ideas of what’s happening! Appreciate any insights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Pathfinder Talk, I need some help!

My Pathfinder has been a good car with minimal problems over the years - 125,000 miles and counting. Car wouldn’t start a few months back. Thought it was just the battery so got a new one. My car is used so infrequently these days it sat for a couple weeks. Went to use it and it wouldn’t start - this is after I used the power lift gate to load some things into the rear. Assumed the new battery must have had a minimal charge so I plugged the battery into a battery charger and used the “quick start” setting to try to get it back up and running. Didn’t work. Left it on the charger for a full day, still wouldn’t start. Had to be jumped then worked fine.

I made sure to use the car weekly for the last couple months and had zero issues. The whole time I had turned off the lift gate.

This weekend I drove the car 150 miles round trip for a camping trip. When I get home I thought it would be safe to turn the power lift gate back on, I was wrong. Turned on the power lift gate and it worked fine. Open and closed just fine. Tried to turn the car on after and it was dead, no electrical activity at all. Not possible the single open and closing used all the power.

Jumped the car and it worked again. I assume the act of jumping the car is resetting some system or fail safe and not solving any problem? Looking at replacing the car in the next 12 months so not looking to pour lots of $$ into this problem.

Need ideas of what’s happening! Appreciate any insights.
There are some electronics involved for the power lift gate. It could be a module, or the motor itself may have some corrosion causing electrical leakage. This may be sort of expensive to fix. If the vehicle is in good condition and is running will I would invest in to fixing this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Remove and install the battery cables again. This sounds like a classic bad connection issue. Clean all contact surfaces.

Beyond that, you'll have to know how to do a draw test with a meter to see if the lift gate has anything to do with it. If you do find a draw, you'll have to know how to find and repair it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts