Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seriously considering buying either the PF or JX. Can anyone provide comparison on the two in terms of quietness, comfort and smoothness between the 2? From looking at the 2 personally, PF's interior quality and features, particularly the Platinum is very much like the JX. I test drove the 2 , but it's really hard to conclude since the test drives are fairly short.

Many thanks for anyone's input on this in advance. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd personally go with the PF on looks alone. Also the CVT used in the PF is current whereas the JX still uses last generation CVT (or so I heard). That being said, owning an Infiniti assures you quality service at your dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I too prefer the look of the PF. But there is one big perk of going with the JX - the headlights in the PF are mediocre, but the JX comes with HID projectors.

I'd say if you're seriously considering the top of the line PF (Platinum with Premium package), you're well into the JX's starting price territory and should probably be test driving the two back-to-back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Indeed I forgot about the lighting. Lots of owners are noticing the poor performance of the headlights. I'm still waiting on some of the aftermarket companies to bring out a solution before I pull the trigger on the PF...Seems there are lots of projector headlights for the previous generation. So far it's between the Santa Fe XL (which comes with projector headlights or HID as an option at least in Canada) and the PF.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was deciding b/t the 2 also, but here are the few things that I like about the PF over the JX and nudge me to buy the PF. (But don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the luxury items on the JX, but these out weight those extra bells and whistles as PF PP has enough to keep me happy)

Look of the PF is better than the JX, the front to fascia to be exact. Other than that, I do like the JX look.

The 3rd seating is more spacious, head room is way better. (I am getting it b/c its a 7 seater)

The gas mileage (mpg) is better; I have the Rx350 and wanted to upgrade to a car that is more fuel efficient since its 6 years since my last purchase and come on, there has to be better efficiencies by now..

Towing and CVT; I think on spec this is better, but I dont really care about towing, but I do care that there is a better CVT in the car.

The 20" rim looks better too IMO.

======================================

I do miss the side blinkers, HID, blind spot detection... if PF had these then its a no brainer..

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I too prefer the look of the PF. But there is one big perk of going with the JX - the headlights in the PF are mediocre, but the JX comes with HID projectors.

I'd say if you're seriously considering the top of the line PF (Platinum with Premium package), you're well into the JX's starting price territory and should probably be test driving the two back-to-back.
So true. I was looking at the two and as you get higher up the trim levels, buying a JX over a Pathfinder becomes more justified.

But aren't there a bunch of expensive options for the JX? So getting just a base JX might not be the best but "better" depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been seriously considering buying either the PF or JX. Can anyone provide comparison on the two in terms of quietness, comfort and smoothness between the 2? From looking at the 2 personally, PF's interior quality and features, particularly the Platinum is very much like the JX. I test drove the 2 , but it's really hard to conclude since the test drives are fairly short.

There will be a bias going to a pathfinder forum to ask such a question :) Go to Infiniti JX Forum : Infiniti JX Forums for the other side of the coin. And here's a little article from Edmunds comparing the two.

I'm currently shopping around like you. So let me know what you decide to go with.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you like all the gadgets on the JX go for the JX. Like said above the JX also has xenon headlights where as the pathfinder doesn't. Not that you can't fix that yourself.

Of course there is the badge if that is worth anything. Infiniti vs Nissan.

They are both very similar cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I'm really leaning now on the PF Platinum based on similarities with JX to save $$$$. BTW, I'm coming from a 2011 MDX . Power is great, but it's a gas hog, rough, bumpy - i can feel all the bumps . The seats are pretty hard plus no keyless entry, etc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had a fully loaded JX and Pathfinder Platinum Premium for an entire weekend test drive to make final choice. After a thorough inspection of both cars I could not justify spending an extra $11,000 for a JX when the Pathfinder offered a nearly identical car inside and out with all the options you could ever want. Both my wife and I preferred the look of the PF and especially the wheels. Nevertheless the JX did offer some premium options such as greater safety options, HID, and Folding mirrors we would have liked but ended up as just a "nice to have" I am installing a set of high quality HID lights in the PF for about $300 so that issue was a nonstarter for me. I also wish the PF had Folding mirrors as it is a tight squeeze to get in my garage. We have had some minor issues with the car but they have been more the fault of a weak service dept staff than the car itself to provide quick remedy. I would buy the PF again if given the chance and Gas efficiency is a big plus!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I compared both. The JX was really a bit over my budget, but the car was great and the Infiniti dealer by my house (Sewell) has great service, so that's why I was trying to get into the Infiniti. The JX has a little quieter ride and has the HiD lights and the blind spot alert. Other than that, for what I need, they were the same. I paid 12k less for the PF. I was able to get a platinum with the theatre package. (My daughters favorite part of the car). I would have liked the mocha interior option for the PF (Infiniti only choice) as I can't stand the black interior, and I am a little worried about the lighter one.

Good luck with either choice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all the input. I think i'm all set to get the PF -platinum 2WD M White with Almond interior. Got some reasonable quote here in CA Bay Area and will pull the trigger this weekend.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I had a fully loaded JX and Pathfinder Platinum Premium for an entire weekend test drive to make final choice. After a thorough inspection of both cars I could not justify spending an extra $11,000 for a JX when the Pathfinder offered a nearly identical car inside and out with all the options you could ever want. Both my wife and I preferred the look of the PF and especially the wheels. Nevertheless the JX did offer some premium options such as greater safety options, HID, and Folding mirrors we would have liked but ended up as just a "nice to have" I am installing a set of high quality HID lights in the PF for about $300 so that issue was a nonstarter for me. I also wish the PF had Folding mirrors as it is a tight squeeze to get in my garage. We have had some minor issues with the car but they have been more the fault of a weak service dept staff than the car itself to provide quick remedy. I would buy the PF again if given the chance and Gas efficiency is a big plus!
Good reasons for not going with the JX, although having the JX is kinda nice for that premium vehicle feel.

Aren't you surprised how "premium" our 2013 Pathfinder's look? TBH if it wasn't for me being into the new nissan pathfinder and being fully aware of it, I would have thought it was some new Infiniti SUV, the rear end screams Infiniti. But the front end shows it's Nissan roots.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I was an Infiniti M35 owner and wanted to get the JX. Then I heard the pathfinder was coming out so I waited to compare. The JX has a lot of extra options you can not get in the Pathfinder (i.e. the Backup Collission avoidance system where it automatically applies the brakes if you are going to hit something).

But, funny, I like the outside of the JX better but the interior of the PF much better. And since I live in the interior, I started leaning towards the PF.

The final straw was the price difference. THere is roughly a $11,000 difference in cost and that's comparing a fully loaded PF with a mid-line JX. There were things in the JX I actually wouldnt get like remote start without going up another level.

So, in the end, I went with the PF and couldn't be happier. I'll miss the Infiniti service experience, but I'm already over it. Pocket the $11 grand and take a trip with your new car. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made up my mind and got the PF Platinum 2WD today - moonlight white with almond interior. I traded in my Mdx . All i can say is that the PF is so much quieter and smoother than the MDX. The CVT is also very quiet and smooth. Got a great and was able to get a VPP price at $3500 below MSRP and my trade was reasonable and spot on the KBB and Edmunds trade price. So far i have driven it about 120 miles and WOW. I'm amazed on how this runs compared to the 2003 Murano I had. The CVT came along ways and i think I am a believer now. Road noise deadening on the PF is very good and alsomdoes a good job in diffusing bumps. The All around view is sick - particularly for parking it my tight garage. It is now so very easy to back it in . I will be taking it for a long drive next weekend . So far i am a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy the new Pathfinder.

Treat it well and it will treat you well :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts