Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what has changed in 2013 for the highlander:

• Most significant changes: New trim level, and some versions get standard backup camera
  • Price change: $630 more
  • On sale: Now
  • Which should you buy, 2012 or 2013? Prices are up slightly, but new standard features, such as Bluetooth (base) and a backup camera (all other trims), are appealing
The three-row crossover is again available with four-cylinder and V-6 power, and with front- and all-wheel drive (V-6 only). The V-6 can again tow up to 5,000 pounds with a towing package; the four-cylinder tow package has been discontinued this year.

The 2013 Highlander is available in base Highlander, Highlander Plus, SE and Limited trims. The Highlander Hybrid also returns. The Highlander Plus replaces the Tech Package available last year. Newly standard on hybrid models is a navigation system and Toyota’s Entune multimedia system.
Base Highlanders get a standard 3.5-inch multi-information display with audio functionality, including a USB port and Bluetooth. In Highlander Plus and SE grades, the system includes the backup camera.
The Highlander Plus gets easy-clean fabric on the first- and second-row seats, and the driver's seat has power lumbar adjustment. The new trim wears black roof rails and fog lamps and gets a lift-up glass hatch. Inside, there are two cargo-area levers for one-touch second-row seat folding, cargo cover and metallic accents in the cabin.
The Limited trim adds JBL audio, automatic climate control for the second row and available leather seats. The 2013 Toyota Highlander is just starting to arrive at dealerships.
The Pathfinder seems to have many more features compared to the Highlander. Toyota needs to step up their game!

·
Registered
76 Posts
We're comparing a 2013 model to a 2007 model with refreshes?

I'm betting the next gen Highlander is pretty nice too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I initially passed on the Highlander due to model age, but looking at the Hybrid's 28 city MPG -- that's impressive. I know there's a price premium of about $5K over the PF (fully loaded) but that pays back in 5 years. I'm going to drive one and see how strange they are... : ) I'm still about 2 months away from committing to what my favorite is. Right now the CX-9 sure has a lot of bang for the buck if it wasn't for the 16 MPG on the AWD... Can't get a PF with Nav and sunroof for less than $44K MSRP, don't want DVD but am stuck taking it with the options I DO want on the PF PP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have looked very closely at the the 2012 as well as the 2013 Highlander (both Limited) before settling down with the 13 PathFinder. I was actually ready to buy but the dealer experience at Toyota was so put off that I actually walked away from the deal. I actually preferred the 12 over the 13 because of the wood trim interior in the 12's was much more palatable than the 13's. The Highlander was due for an upgrade so that means buying the last of the body style or get in on a newer yet riskier new body style of the 13 PathFinder. The ride quality was a little nicer in the Highlander though both are similar in handling. The Toyota drives more like a car than the PathFinder and feels smaller (which it is).

I am a Honda guy but did not find anything from Honda in this crop of vehicles that looked appealing. That's really too bad, because I just sold an 02 Honda Odyssey with over 260K miles on the odo with zero problems. I have owned Toyotas in the past and never had a problem either. My only Nissan product is an 08 Infini G37 sedan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2006 Limited Highlander & now buying a 2013 SL PF. I LOVED my Highlander - never had one problem with it. Seriously considered getting another but for the money I'm getting so much more with the PF. And - my mpg around city always averaged 15 mpg with my Highlander. Hoping to squeak a few more out with the new PF.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's another comparison test between the Pathfinder, Highlander and Traverse.

LINK

The review actually put the Traverse as the winner. Anyone have any experience with this model?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I own a 2006 Limited Highlander & now buying a 2013 SL PF. I LOVED my Highlander - never had one problem with it. Seriously considered getting another but for the money I'm getting so much more with the PF. And - my mpg around city always averaged 15 mpg with my Highlander. Hoping to squeak a few more out with the new PF.
Just keep in mind Toyota has amazing build quality and the new highlanders look amazing! and it seems Toyota's don't have as many problems as Nissan's do.

Highlander looks amazing, a bit better than hte pathfinder in my opinion..

·
Super Moderator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,372 Posts
Highlander vs Pathfinder

I had two main criteria before I bought my 2013 Pathfinder SL: 1) at least 18 mpg city and 2) 5000+ lbs. tow capacity (because we have a camping trailer).

On my short list, there was only ONE Toyota: the 2010 or 2012 Highlander 2WD (both had EPA 18/24). In our search, we found zero availability, even on Auto Trader.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Toyota's quality has gone downhill in the past 10 years. I traded a Toyota in for the pathfinder. In 4 years of ownership and 50k miles, I replaced the water pump, timing belt, alternator, radio, and ac blower motor 3 times. My power locks did not work either.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Before I bought my 2013 Pathfinder in August, I considered buying another Highlander to replace my 2006 Highlander Hybrid. My Highlander was trouble free the entire 8 years and 65000 miles I owned it. However, I did not like the look of the 2013 Highlander especially the front end. The 2013 Highlander Hybrid had a different front grill which was better, but still the overall design of the 2013 Highlander looked tired. The upcoming 2014 Highlander didn't appeal to me at all either, with its large front grill and odd rear end styling.
I considered the 2013 Accura RDX, but it didn't offer enough cargo room.
I really liked the look and features offered in the 2013 Pathfinder Platinum...so I bought it and haven't been sorry I did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here's another comparison test between the Pathfinder, Highlander and Traverse.

LINK

The review actually put the Traverse as the winner. Anyone have any experience with this model?
I've had the traverse as a rental car quite a few times, and really like it. This would have been a contender for us except for the price, as we had a hard limit of $30k out the door. Just look at the price as tested in the article--the Chevy is $50k and isn't even the top trim level.

I personally hate the feel of Toyota's power trains, so I can't say I've ever driven or looked closely at the Highlander.

I'm also really not a fan of CVTs, and initially passed over the Pathfinder for that reason, but ultimately the best-in-class value is too compelling to pass up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I also had the occasion to drive a rental Chevy Traverse earlier this year and found that it drove satisfactorily and the outside appearance was also acceptable, but inside it seemed very cheap and full of plastic. IMHO its not worth what Chevy is pricing it for.

Reactions: dcline414

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I bought my 2013 Pathfinder in August, I considered buying another Highlander to replace my 2006 Highlander Hybrid. My Highlander was trouble free the entire 8 years and 65000 miles I owned it. However, I did not like the look of the 2013 Highlander especially the front end. The 2013 Highlander Hybrid had a different front grill which was better, but still the overall design of the 2013 Highlander looked tired. The upcoming 2014 Highlander didn't appeal to me at all either, with its large front grill and odd rear end styling.
I considered the 2013 Accura RDX, but it didn't offer enough cargo room.
I really liked the look and features offered in the 2013 Pathfinder Platinum...so I bought it and haven't been sorry I did.
What about the 2014 MDX?

I went to look at one the other day. Not a bad looking car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What about the 2014 MDX?

I went to look at one the other day. Not a bad looking car.

You're right...the 2014 MDX is a great looking vehicle, but like the 2013 RDX, it lacks luggage room behind the third seat. I also didn't find the seats as comfortable as those in the Pathfinder. I also thought there was more value per dollar with the Pathfinder.
The 2013 RDX would have been my next choice though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts