Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving from East Coast(Florida) to West Coast(California), Radiator fan bearing failed at Yuma, mileage is 50000 miles mark.
This is what happened after driving under blizzard night from El Paso to whole I-10 in New Mexico(Est: 200+ miles stretch)
I am driving behind big trailer truck running from 30mph to 45mph keeping a good distance to prevent swerving when hitting the brakes, Pathfinder is stable(Traction light keep blinking that time).
Some cars infront of us swerved and turtled in the median.

Rest Area near entering El Paso, snow start pouring...

At El Paso, Snow fall getting stronger at 6pm

Gas up somewhere in New Mexico, estimate time 1am

When we arrived at Yuma for breakfast, people looking at us and ask where we get all the ice.
We check around the car, all ice in wheel wells, stepboard and bumper.
My daughter notice the noise coming from engine.
Radiator fan become noisy at high speed.
Temperature Gauge is low behind the normal, maybe because of the weather.
We pass the California Mountains and arrived at San Diego without any problem of overheating.
Pathfinder Survived the Blizzard!

At Chula Vista Nissan Dealer,
Basic warranty expired, bad thing I did not renew it.
They replaced the Engine Fan Kit for $1200 parts and services,
I tried search the net for lower price aftermarket replacement parts but I can't find any without the part number on it.
Time running out so we don't have any choice because we are still heading to San Francisco.

Broken fan, both Radiator and AC fan working except the loud noise coming from radiator fan bearing.

I found this part number when I got the box

Too late to know...

=========================================

Our route start from Dec 25, 2015 3AM, back home Jan 05, 2016 3AM
https://goo.gl/maps/jVFcToYwy952

Some Pics from our long drive
After stop over one night at San Antonio

Texas Desert

At Golden Gate Bridge(Battery Spencer Side)

Heading to Grand Canyon, Arizona

At Vicksburg

From 1st time Blizzard experience, holdup price for broken fan replacement, more than 5000 miles long drive...In the end, we are happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, for fan and labor charge....
They just give me a 10% coupon plus free multipoint inspection and car wash...I should request for additional free Oil Change that time but I am tired and sleepy, I need a rest.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,516 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
For all the guys and gals on this site in the States and Canada, by afr the cheapest place for aftermarket parts i've found is https://www.rockauto.com/

They have the Coolong fan ass'bly listed as just over $200. Granted it won't help anyone one a road trip in immediate need of a part, but worht bearing in mind for any parts for our rides that you can wait a day or too for.

The site is not the most user friendly.........but good prices.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice pics 9th. Looked like a fun trip. I am new to the forum and would like to inquire as to where you purchased your front push guard and zombie light?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ridiculous cost for a fan, if aftermarket brands that make OEM grade products have caught up already, it might be time for them to do so, especially with the fact that this fan assembly might be also used in other Nissans/Infiniti's.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For all the guys and gals on this site in the States and Canada, by afr the cheapest place for aftermarket parts i've found is https://www.rockauto.com/

They have the Coolong fan ass'bly listed as just over $200. Granted it won't help anyone one a road trip in immediate need of a part, but worht bearing in mind for any parts for our rides that you can wait a day or too for.

The site is not the most user friendly.........but good prices.
Thanks and also using google comes with a good result using the keyword 21481-3JA0E

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry this happened to you, especially on a long road trip. In this situation though I would certainly not have paid the dealer for a brand new fan assembly. I would have disconnected the power plug from the bad fan and continued on my way. The second fan will do the job on its on just fine. Keep in mind that you kept the vehicle moving and that it is cold outside. The fans do not operate above 45-55mph. The single fan alone can keep the vehicle cool even sitting still so long as the outside temperature isn't hot. Only when it's above 80F outside would you begin to have a cooling problem (vehicle not moving) which would be compounded by the use of the air conditioner.

And in a situation where the vehicle does begin to over heat, set the climate control to maximum heat and full fan speed. But NOT the second & third row heater on this Pathfinder. Other vehicles may vary.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry this happened to you, especially on a long road trip. In this situation though I would certainly not have paid the dealer for a brand new fan assembly. I would have disconnected the power plug from the bad fan and continued on my way. The second fan will do the job on its on just fine. Keep in mind that you kept the vehicle moving and that it is cold outside. The fans do not operate above 45-55mph. The single fan alone can keep the vehicle cool even sitting still so long as the outside temperature isn't hot. Only when it's above 80F outside would you begin to have a cooling problem (vehicle not moving) which would be compounded by the use of the air conditioner.

And in a situation where the vehicle does begin to over heat, set the climate control to maximum heat and full fan speed. But NOT the second & third row heater on this Pathfinder. Other vehicles may vary.
I should know this 1st. We still have to drive back home for almost 3000 miles. no other option but to go with that pricey fan. :12:

·
Registered
212 Posts
It does show OOS but there is a part number for it. And as I was saying earlier it does not matter if you're going 3000 or 300,000 miles. So long as you aren't idling in hot weather, one fan is more than enough to do the job until you get back home and explore your options.

Action Crash Radiator Fan Assembly; Platinum
(Read reviews)
Retail Price:
$721.63
Sale Price: $187.98

Out of Stock
Part Number: 127940-04169629
Notes: DUAL FAN ASSEMBLY
Product Remark: 3.5L; Automatic or Manual Transmission
Quality: Platinum
Condition: New
2014 Pathfinder

I also found this on car-part.com

Cooling Fan (Rad and Con mtd.)
Nissan Pathfinder L,[MTR-ONLY] A 150425A $70 Diamond Auto Parts - PRP Midwest USA-WI(Fond-duLac) Request_Quote 1-888-236-7731 Request_Insurance_Quote
Cooling Fan (Rad and Con mtd.)
Nissan Pathfinder R,[MTR-ONLY] A 150425A $70 Diamond Auto Parts - PRP Midwest USA-WI(Fond-duLac) Request_Quote 1-888-236-7731 Request_Insurance_Quote

Reactions: 9th

·
Registered
19 Posts
Would anyone know if this would be covered under basic warranty 3 years/36,000 miles ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you all! I have reached out to Nissan USA and also will be scheduling an appointment with my local nissan dealership. I will keep everyone updated on the current status.

Reactions: 9th

·
Registered
1 Posts
My friend and I today (before I found the service manuals here (MANY THANKS TO YOU)) attempted to get the defective one out, after removing a bunch of stuff, we still couldn't get the assembly out, we were trying to get the whole assembly out but from the service manual, it looks like the fan assembly comes out and the shroud assembly stays in, the question I have is are the after market ones manufactured the same way?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cooling Fan

Just left the Nissan dealership. cooling fan making loud noise. I just made it in time for it to be covered by the basic 3yr/36k warranty at 35,940 miles. Yippee!!! Otherwise I was told it would have cost me 1k. Considering getting the extended warranty at a cost of 2800 seems steep. Any alternatives anyone can share with non dealership extended warrantys?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.