Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Don't trust the reliability of Hyundai yet. They still got some work to do before they convince me.

Hyundais never have good steering feel.

Pathfinder FTW

·
Registered
196 Posts
Don't trust the reliability of Hyundai yet. They still got some work to do before they convince me.

Hyundais never have good steering feel.

Pathfinder FTW
I agree not really feeling the Hyundais lately. I was interested in the Elantra for a time, but I just read a recent comparison between the Elantra and Civic, and the Civic won hands down.

I'll wait until Hyundai fixes their reliability issues they've been having lately to even consider their vehicles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure what reliability issues you guys are referring to, the facts are quite the opposite from what I read. The main number one reason to buy a Hyundai is the reliablity and build quality. There is a night and day difference between Hyundai of today and that of 10 years ago, currently they are rivalling the top of the pack in terms of quality. As an example, the all-new 2013 Santa FE XL and Sport have no reports of early quality issues, considering these are two brand new models that is quite a good reflection on the brand as a whole - they're doing MUCH BETTER than Nissan, who we all know is having some terrible quality issues with the Pathdinfer. Apparently Hyundai knows how to properly test their products in the real-world, in-depth to the point where they KNOW the quality is there, unlike Nissan who obviously skipped a lot of this testing and refinement and rushed their vehicle to market with an obvious defect, and I mean OBVIOUS - how could they have missed this "judder" issue if they even remotely followed a reasonable testing and quality control program?? Small issues in the first model year, ok to be expected. But a major, obvious powertrain defect that even a child could notice within the first few thousand miles? Absolutely ridiculous, Nissan should be shamed for this, there's no excuse whatsoever.

And after pointing out all of these obvious points, I have to ask you guys, how can you criticize Hyundai reliability and say they "have some work to do"? Based on perceptions you have from last decade? You think Hyundai has work to do but ignore this fiasco that Nissan has with the Pathfinder?

I'm a little sensitive to the CVT issues, I experienced them in 2008 with the purchase of my first model year Rogue. They quickly resolved them within the year, but that was a tough year. After 2009 their critical CVT issues were supposed to be behind them, but here in 2013 they're being repeated with the Pathfinder - very disappointing to see 5 years later these problems keep coming up and Nissan obviously cut corners.

I just went over the Santa Fe XL in detail. Very nice vehicle, fit and finish is great, powertrain is amazing, very responsive. 3rd row access is ok, not as good as the Pathfinder. Also the Pathy has a more roomy cabin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure what reliability issues you guys are referring to, the facts are quite the opposite from what I read. The main number one reason to buy a Hyundai is the reliablity and build quality. There is a night and day difference between Hyundai of today and that of 10 years ago, currently they are rivalling the top of the pack in terms of quality. As an example, the all-new 2013 Santa FE XL and Sport have no reports of early quality issues, considering these are two brand new models that is quite a good reflection on the brand as a whole - they're doing MUCH BETTER than Nissan, who we all know is having some terrible quality issues with the Pathdinfer. Apparently Hyundai knows how to properly test their products in the real-world, in-depth to the point where they KNOW the quality is there, unlike Nissan who obviously skipped a lot of this testing and refinement and rushed their vehicle to market with an obvious defect, and I mean OBVIOUS - how could they have missed this "judder" issue if they even remotely followed a reasonable testing and quality control program?? Small issues in the first model year, ok to be expected. But a major, obvious powertrain defect that even a child could notice within the first few thousand miles? Absolutely ridiculous, Nissan should be shamed for this, there's no excuse whatsoever.

And after pointing out all of these obvious points, I have to ask you guys, how can you criticize Hyundai reliability and say they "have some work to do"? Based on perceptions you have from last decade? You think Hyundai has work to do but ignore this fiasco that Nissan has with the Pathfinder?

I'm a little sensitive to the CVT issues, I experienced them in 2008 with the purchase of my first model year Rogue. They quickly resolved them within the year, but that was a tough year. After 2009 their critical CVT issues were supposed to be behind them, but here in 2013 they're being repeated with the Pathfinder - very disappointing to see 5 years later these problems keep coming up and Nissan obviously cut corners.

I just went over the Santa Fe XL in detail. Very nice vehicle, fit and finish is great, powertrain is amazing, very responsive. 3rd row access is ok, not as good as the Pathfinder. Also the Pathy has a more roomy cabin.
Yup, the tables have turned, gone were the days where Hyundai was the most ignored brand around and now it's one of the better brands where you can get a quality built car and don't have to worry. I think even honda has more problems than Hyundai.

Always loved how the new Santa Fe looks, good thing I didn't buy a pathfinder just yet, maybe the Santa Fe is what i need.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I hear you, I haven't made up my mind yet but I want a 3-row crossover some time in the next couple years if I can manage to wait.

Even though I just blasted Nissan (they deserve it!!), they can still redeem themselves with a proper fix, although I'm still wondering what other defects are still lurking that they may have missed. The Pathfinder is a real nice vehicle for a good price, the Santa Fe XL I just checked out was just a bit on the small/tight side, especially with 3rd row headroom and accessing the 3rd row. The 6-spd and the powerful V6 have the Nissan powertrain beat, so I'm really back and forth on the decision. The Flex is also really nice, probably ideal from a practical perspective but that MyFord Touch system runs everything including climate control and really sucks. Durango is nice but out of my budget and I don't want to wait around for used ones - it's also a little on the large size. Pathfinder is the perfect size, a little bigger than the Santa Fe XL, and a little smaller than the Durango which is nice for driving and parking in tight situations. Then there's the redesigned Highlander coming out in a couple months......tough decisions!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hyundai's reliability has gotten better overall since it's inception but for the last couple of years, the reliability has been dipping. Most likely, because of the Hyundai's expansion into the world market. It's reliability ranking has fallen many spots in the automaker rankings.

Link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts