Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When competition is as close as the rivalry between the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and the 2013 Ford Explorer, it really comes down to which vehicle offers the most value. The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is outfitted with the 3.5-liter V6 engine that tops out at 260 horsepower. Its 240 lb-ft of potential torque is used to deliver a best-in-class towing capacity of up to 5,000 pounds. All of this power and the Pathfinder still manages to achieve 26 mpg hwy, a 30 percent increase from its preceding model. Although the Explorer has 2 mpg on the Pathfinder, the Nissan SUV has so many best-in-class features and class-exclusive amenities it seems to make up for it.

With a best-in-class fuel economy of 28 mpg hwy, it’s not surprising that the 2013 Ford Explorer peaks the interest of SUV drivers across the industry. Its 80.7 cubic feet of storage space keeps passengers and their cargo comfortable in three rows of seating. With 4WD capabilities and the available Terrain Management System, the Explorer handles a variety of driving conditions and environments effortlessly. However, it’s hard to go up against a vehicle like the Pathfinder, which offers best-in-class passenger volume and gives drivers the choice of 2WD, 4WD, and Auto driving modes with its class-exclusive All-Mode Dial.

The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder

The 2013 Nissan Pathfinder is so full of class exclusives and best-in-class details it’s hard to believe there are any vehicles left in its class. Drivers turn to SUVs for their functionality and capability, and the Pathfinder certainly delivers in every aspect. Its best-in-class towing capacity and class-exclusive All-Mode driving adjustments are the tip of the iceberg. The class-exclusive EZ Flex Seating System allows the second-row seat to move seamlessly to give ample access to the third-row, which also reclines making the Pathfinder the only SUV in its class with that convenience feature. Best-in-class passenger volume and cargo room up to 79.8 cubic feet make the Pathfinder one of the most comfortable and versatile SUVs to date.

Also exclusive to the Pathfinder are the heated and cooled leather-appointed seats. On those dehydrating days in San Antonio that require a cool-down, the Pathfinder can cure perspiration with cooling seats. Another class-exclusive detail is the available Around View Monitor (AVM). In order to make quick maneuvers and challenging park jobs, the Pathfinder uses the monitor to take a composite image of the vehicle and display it on the touchscreen monitor. Drivers will be able to assess their position on the road in order to make safe, clean turns and movements.

Equipped with over 50 standard safety features, the Pathfinder puts its innovation to the test by keeping its passengers safe under any circumstance. Protection from vehicle impact or hazardous driving conditions comes standard, and six standard airbags give everyone peace of mind in the event of an emergency. The vehicle also keeps drivers updated on its status with features like the class-exclusive Easy-Fill Tire Alert. When filling up the tires the Pathfinder alerts the driver when it’s at the appropriate pressure, so there will never be any doubt that tire pressure is correct.

The 2013 Ford Explorer is a capable and performance-savvy vehicle in its own right, but there really is no competition when the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder takes to the road. Designed to make the lives of its drivers easier and more functional, the Pathfinder is clearly a leader in innovative technology and performance. At a more reasonable price, the Pathfinder is the clear winner when it comes to value.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Lots of praise for the Pathfinder :D

:thumbs up:

Good find on the pathfinder vs explorer comparison.

Personally I'd never buy an Explorer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Had all intentions of buying an explorer until we actually went and sat in one. Not a nice vehicle. Seats were not comfortable. Armrests both inboard and out seemed at odd heights ergonomically. The fact the second row seats doesn't slide at all was a deal breaker. Second row does not leave much room for adults. Didn't appreciate the sync system either. Maybe with enough time behind it. Love the exterior appearance though. I believe that claimed 28 mpg is with a 4 banger. No thanks, even if it is the ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Had all intentions of buying an explorer until we actually went and sat in one. Not a nice vehicle. Seats were not comfortable. Armrests both inboard and out seemed at odd heights ergonomically. The fact the second row seats doesn't slide at all was a deal breaker. Second row does not leave much room for adults. Didn't appreciate the sync system either. Maybe with enough time behind it. Love the exterior appearance though. I believe that claimed 28 mpg is with a 4 banger. No thanks, even if it is the ecoboost.
Ditto. I just can't bring myself to purchase a vehicle of this size with a four cylinder. Especially not a domestic four cylinder, and with twin turbos to boot (long term reliability can't be great).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just an FYI to everyone looking at Ford vehicles. A number of new Ford vehicle owners reported a ton of cabin noise issues and poor build quality being a result of that. Best bet is to stay away from Ford. Without even looking at the new Ford Explorer I know the Pathfinder will beat it.

In the Explorers defense, police forces are using it, so that's already a good sign, if it's good for police use, why not civilian? I'm still pro-pathfinder though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Id of only considered the explorer sport with the turbo v6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was considering the Explorer until I drove it. I was very uncomfortable in it. I like to sit up a bit and this was impossible because at the highest seat level (still not high enough for me) the steering wheel was practically in my lap. The Ford also felt extremely big while driving down the highway. It felt like I was all over the road. I'm not bad mouthing it as I like the exterior appearance but it was not for me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The new ford turbo 4 cylinders are actually not bad for power. I was surprised when I test drove the ecoboost engines.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was considering the Explorer until I drove it. I was very uncomfortable in it. I like to sit up a bit and this was impossible because at the highest seat level (still not high enough for me) the steering wheel was practically in my lap. The Ford also felt extremely big while driving down the highway. It felt like I was all over the road. I'm not bad mouthing it as I like the exterior appearance but it was not for me.
How long have you been driving SUV's for and what kind of SUV's?
I drove the Explorer and it didn't feel that bad, I guess you may not be as involved with SUV's as others may be. But I still find the JX/Pathfinder to feel better on the road.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Ford Explorer seems to consistently hold top honors on most unreliable car lists a long with many other Ford models. I would stay away from the Explorer and Ford products in general.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I read Ford is getting sued by their customers because of their Ecoboost engines. They are not performing right.
Owners are complaining of not getting anywhere near the EPA estimates for fuel economy.

That said, quite a bit of the overall fuel efficiency equation involves driving style and conditions. So, it's not at all surprising... but if it doesn't offer a significant bump over an equivalent V6, then I can see where people would be irritated, having paid a premium for the "Ecoboost" option.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Owners are complaining of not getting anywhere near the EPA estimates for fuel economy.

That said, quite a bit of the overall fuel efficiency equation involves driving style and conditions. So, it's not at all surprising... but if it doesn't offer a significant bump over an equivalent V6, then I can see where people would be irritated, having paid a premium for the "Ecoboost" option.
A lot of car makers are either truely guilty of false MPG numbers or a lot of people don't know how to drive in the way you are suppose to, to get those numbers.

Another thing is that the EPA puts out these numbers, maybe incorrect numbers from the EPA?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
A lot of car makers are either truely guilty of false MPG numbers or a lot of people don't know how to drive in the way you are suppose to, to get those numbers.

Another thing is that the EPA puts out these numbers, maybe incorrect numbers from the EPA?
I believe that in most cases, the automakers themselves generate the estimates with guidance on testing conditions from the EPA. This article explains the process:

The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Car and Driver

Reactions: nissanguy

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I believe that in most cases, the automakers themselves generate the estimates with guidance on testing conditions from the EPA. This article explains the process:

The Truth About EPA City / Highway MPG Estimates - Feature - Car and Driver
Makes sense now, I'll have a look. Many times i've seen articles mention that the EPA suggested MPG's are off at times. I guess they should start dealing with the whole MPG testing thing on their own instead of including the car maker on it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Explorer has terrible mpg with 16/24mpg. I would actually get the Escape instead. It's been doing really for Ford and selling like crazy.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I am not getting anywhere near the EPA estimates on my PF ether... City 13mpg highway is more like it .. around25

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I was shopping for new car and after trying out everything out there it, for me it came down to Ford and Nissan. I almost bough Ford if it was not for a few things that changed my mind. Mind you that I have 2 little kids

I looked at Ford Explorer Sport vs PF platinum premium .

Before I go any further just want to get it off my chest ...Ford Exp sport is hands down more fun to drive than PF.

#1 I did not like mytouch , I much prefer knobs and buttons that I can feel
#2 Ford does not have dual TV's
#3 Ford back seats are not car-seat friendly
#4 Ford has a (I don't know what you call it) a hump going in the middle through out the back on the interior on the floor , so if you are to climb from one seat to another you cant just slide .
#5 PF has much better interior
#6 Ford Exp Sport to lease is about 100 $ more /month than PF

I also looked in to BMW x5 base model and still like PF more,
Also looked at JX, same options as PF will cost 15k more... well.. yea there is blind spot warning system and auto braking ... but still these tech options do not cost 15k... and I like how PF face looks, in my opinion better than JX... if only PF has HID's

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I am not getting anywhere near the EPA estimates on my PF ether... City 13mpg highway is more like it .. around25
How are you calculating that? How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just went through this.. 2014 Explorer LTD was my top pick.. then i started looking at the 2014 Pathfinder Platinum Premium pkg.. the Ford came in at $7 higher with similar build out.. I could not bring myself to pay so much more for a domestic model.

The Ford does look meaner on the road.. but the PF is alot more comfortable.

I get my PF tomorrow. I'm excited :) Trading in my 2005 X-Trail LE. The X-Trail was great.. but now small things are bothering me.. the drink holders suck, the door locks freeze in the winter and trap you inside.. etc..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts