Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently test drove the 2013 Ford Escape for a whole week. Prior to the test drive, my expectations for this SUV were quite high. I had recently participated in the “Ford Escape for the Day” tour event. One of my favourite bloggers, Tenille Lafontaine, wrote about the ”Ford Escape for the Day” tour event over at Feisty, Frugal, and Fabulous. The 2013 Ford Escape, on that day, impressed me beyond measure so I was looking forward to an opportunity to drive it for an extended period.

This week of test driving, however, was going to be very different from the drive we experienced at the tour event. First, it was after my area received 50cm of fresh snow and, second, it was 100% day-to-day driving… no controlled courses where we are running controlled tests.

The Ford Escape is packed full of safety features… some of which you don’t ever want to experience but that may save your life one day.

One cold morning during my test drive, I pulled to the side of a residential street to pick up a friend. I had been parked for a few minutes and received a text message from him indicating I should go into his house for a few minutes. Just as I was reaching for the door handle, the Escape warned me, by audible alert and a flashing light in the side-view mirror, that a vehicle was approaching.

Instead of throwing the door open and jumping out of the car, I paused to take a look and, to make a long story short, it’s a good thing I took that pause. Without a warning, it’s very possible the Escape would be minus one door and I may very well be minus one leg… or worse. The on-coming vehicle was mere inches from the side of the vehicle when it passed.

It’s called the Blind Spot Information System with cross traffic warning system and it, on more than one occasion, saved me from certain disaster during test drives of Ford vehicles. Versions of the cross traffic alert have been around for a few years now but it is becoming more and more common on cars and trucks and, I have found, they are starting to work as advertised.

Every time I drive one of these vehicles I discover some new technology that is going into them to make a person safe.

There were a few options I considered overkill in the Escape I was driving. Take, for example, the Power Panoramic Vista Roof, which basically turns the entire top of the vehicle into a sheet of glass. It’s nice, for sure, but for me it’s a $1500 option I could likely do without.

But then there were so many options that just made sense… sure, many I could do without but they had practical, safety-related justification and, best of all, they worked.

The Hands-free Power Liftgate came in handy on several occasions and, as on all so-equipped Ford vehicles, the Microsoft Sync and MyFord Touch systems were convenient also.

2013 Ford Escape: The Verdict

The model I drove for a week was decked out a little more extravagantly than I probably would purchase for myself and my family but, with Escape S, SE, SEL, and Titanium trim levels to choose from, I’m sure there’s a model decked out just right. I would definitely consider this vehicle for my next family SUV.

2013 Ford Escape Blows Away my Expectations | Then Life Happens

1 - 2 of 2 Posts