Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving, my 2005 pathfinder loses all interior electrical power, gauges, all displays, radio, heater fan, and then goes very slow, and will not accelerate past about 20 mph before cutting back out on acceleration.
Head lights stay on and blinkers work, engine runs but will not allow me to accelerate when pressing the gas pedal. When I press the gas pedal it almost makes it slow down more.
Anyone know what is causing this? Only codes have been P0420 & P1446.
Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mightydad.

Not sure what the problem is. But Google can be used for the codes. Also, I highly recommend downloading a free factory service manual from one of the many online sources. It’s invaluable in trouble shooting problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder SL
17 Posts
420 is an exhaust code....might be cat converter, O2 sensor, whatever.

1446 is EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Close.

That could end up being the expensive one.

Just a tip (for you all, not ragging on Mightydad), you do not want fuel in your evap canister. When you are at the gas station and the pump clicks off you are done. Modern cars do not like the squeeze, click, squeeze, click of jamming in that last few ounces. Old habits can get mighty costly on modern vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First, I dont see how those 2 codes would have anything to do with the electrical issues- unless the electrical issues are giving false codes (but I would think there would be more if that were the case).
I've had the similar P0430 and had to change the driver side front catalytic converter. Picked up a decent one on Rock Auto and did it myself. Not fun, but it's been code free now for a few years with it.

·
Registered
2017 Pathfinder SL
17 Posts
First, I dont see how those 2 codes would have anything to do with the electrical issues- unless the electrical issues are giving false codes (but I would think there would be more if that were the case).
I've had the similar P0430 and had to change the driver side front catalytic converter. Picked up a decent one on Rock Auto and did it myself. Not fun, but it's been code free now for a few years with it.
Hey! I don't cause the issues, I just told the man what those two codes are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was getting a few trouble codes on my '06 when I first bought it a few months ago. Since it was new to me, the first thing I did was take a look at the battery and noticed it had been installed for about 12 years. I didn't even bother testing it since it was so old, I just replaced it. Installed the new battery and cleared codes. That was about 2 months ago, and so far no codes have returned. Bad batteries can cause weird things to happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did replace the battery, it was bad, but it’s still doing it, it’s just not dying when it does it now. I know the codes are not causing the issue, but I’m at a loss of what it could be. It’s actually my sons vehicle in college about 2.5 hours from home, so I don’t have immediate access to it to try different things.
I have considered the gas pedal, but that doesn’t explain the loss of the interior power. I also seen others talking about a bad brake relay causing limp mode? Anyone ever heard of that? I thought maybe a bad ECM relay, but I upgraded the IDPM when I gave it to him about 5 years ago with 200k on the clock, but the updated IDPM doesn’t have an ECM relay on it like the original one. When I gave it to him about 5 years ago, it started having trouble with random stalling, but no interior power loss, and it turned out to be the camshaft position sensor back then. But I’m not getting any camshaft or crankshaft codes.
I appreciate all the suggestions I can get!
Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’d check electrical connections, especially those under the hood, where large terminals plug into the various ‘control boxes’. Carefully disconnect, spray with electrical contact cleaner, let dry, then apply dielectric grease before reconnecting the plugs. I’d also look for evidence of rodent infestation on the interior, especially under the dash, and under the hood. This time of year especially, those little suckers look for someplace to call home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, apparently I spoke too soon. It just did it again. I’m not sure where to go from here. There are no codes that pertain to losing interior power and then the motor conking out. It started again and is driving again, but for how long? I have a feeling that it could possibly be a faulty camshaft position sensor, but I don’t want to spend more money without getting a code to pop up.
Anyone else had to deal with this before?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts