Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking care of my grandfather 2000 pathfinder... i took it out for a ride and noticed a problem with a violent vibration and a constant banging sound under the seats... while looking for a visible cause i noticed the central support for the drive shaft had all the rubber busted.. there is a lot of play there.. so i am going to point that as the problem... my difficulty is that i am going to do the fix myself and i am looking for a guide or video of a pro dude doing the fix... is there such thing or does anyone done this before???

all the input i can get is very appreciated... i was about to disassemble the drive shaft to get the part out and ready for the new one.. but i am afraid there is a certain way or method to do it and that because of my lack of knowledge i will miss that out.

thanks in advance!!!! :)

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,168 Posts
Hi

I believe this is the part you are intending to replace https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=495561&cc=1364138&jsn=10367
My experience is limited to the work I've done on a 1954 Jeep Willys and an AWD Toyota Sienna. Looking at this diagram http://forums.nicoclub.com/front-drive-shaft-universal-joint-t577205.html you should remove the 2nd shaft which is pretty straight forward, just remove all 8 bolts starting by the end closer to the differential. If the shaft comes apart remember that it must be aligned properly to avoid vibrations and possible self destruction (I learned this the hard way with the Willys).
Once removed, I'd remove the lock nut and bracket, that should allow the center support to come off. Assemble in reverse order. I don't think the 1st shaft needs to come off.
Once again, make sure all 3 universal joints are perfectly aligned when you put it back.

Many of these parts could be sized/stuck together due to rust and if the universal joints have any play in them (you can check that just by turning the shaft back and forth manually) it could be a good idea to take it to a drive shaft shop. My Sienna had non-replaceable (stacked) universal joints (Toyota sells the whole shaft for $1800, yikes! ) and a local drive shaft shop was able to replace them for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I believe this is the part you are intending to replace https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=495561&cc=1364138&jsn=10367
My experience is limited to the work I've done on a 1954 Jeep Willys and an AWD Toyota Sienna. Looking at this diagram http://forums.nicoclub.com/front-drive-shaft-universal-joint-t577205.html you should remove the 2nd shaft which is pretty straight forward, just remove all 8 bolts starting by the end closer to the differential. If the shaft comes apart remember that it must be aligned properly to avoid vibrations and possible self destruction (I learned this the hard way with the Willys).
Once removed, I'd remove the lock nut and bracket, that should allow the center support to come off. Assemble in reverse order. I don't think the 1st shaft needs to come off.
Once again, make sure all 3 universal joints are perfectly aligned when you put it back.

Many of these parts could be sized/stuck together due to rust and if the universal joints have any play in them (you can check that just by turning the shaft back and forth manually) it could be a good idea to take it to a drive shaft shop. My Sienna had non-replaceable (stacked) universal joints (Toyota sells the whole shaft for $1800, yikes! ) and a local drive shaft shop was able to replace them for me.

Good luck.
Thanks Jman. i started to take it apart as far my knowledge let me... i marked each of the joints with white paint to know how they were aligned when putting it back. i only came across difficult bolts... the center support is tight on the middle shaft.. i think is one of those you need to take out to properly to remove the broken bearing part... so that mean taking out the bolts that connect the 1st shaft to the transmission tail. i got a local auto part with the part for only $26 +tax. which is kinda great. i got informed this was a site for 2013+ models only... my apologies for not reading before posting... i hope is not a problem. i will try to follow from there and i am sure i am going to make good use of that schematic pic you linked Jman.

thanks! :) and hope you guys don't mind me sticking around the site. :)

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,168 Posts
If you removed the first shaft keep in mind that there should be a seal that goes around the end going into the transfer case, make sure you do not damage (hit) that end of the shaft and be very careful with the seal when pushing the shaft back in, apply some oil to it.
Her is a video I found about aligning the drive shaft, not sure if Nissan's have these marks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O27wUPdUkdM

Glad we can help, as said on other post, you are welcome to stick around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts