Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's true. When I bought my 2019 as an ex-rental last year with 24K miles on it, it only had one oil change reported on the carfax at around 14K miles. The next OC was reported when the dealer network I bought it from did one when they took it into inventory @ 24K miles. It's likely it only saw 2 oil changes in 24K miles, when Nissan recommends something like 5K miles in the manual. It could have had more. I'll never know.

Like you say, pretty much any engine these days should be able to handle ~12K miles and not skip a beat (not that I'd ever go that long between oil changes).

After I took delivery of my PF, I noticed the engine oil looked black and immediately changed it. The filter I took off was basically brand-new (aftermarket) so I do believe the oil was changed. That's when I discovered these engines turn the engine oil black almost immediately and is why I recommend not exceeding 3000 miles between oil changes with them as much as a pain in the ass that is. I record my oil changes on the "my carfax" app, but don't keep receipts, or take pictures, etc, so I assume if my engine sludges before 60K miles, I'm screwed.

I've been using walmart supertech synthetic 5w30 (not the recommended 0w20) and Nissan filters. I bought a case of 12 nissan filters online for pretty cheap.
Have you tried using a synthetic oil other than Wal-Mart supertech?

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
679 Posts
Napa synthetic is the only other oil other than Supertech synthetic I've used and is the two I've used for probably 15yrs or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Napa synthetic is the only other oil other than Supertech synthetic I've used and is the two I've used for probably 15yrs or so.
Maybe try some various high quality synthetics. I know that on a previous vehicle i owned that went 200k before selling, i tried several oils and would go 7000 -10000 mi between changes. When i had time to pick it up, i usually went with amsoil as it would remain good color for 10k. Royal purple, would turn black around 5k. Mobil 1 would turn dark around 7500, and is what i used most often.

Just something to try as 3k changes are ridiculous on a modern vehicle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I appreciate the insight on that.

I too have used M1 and have used RP, amsoil and various other expensive boutique oils over the past 35yrs or so.

Having been an active BITOG forum member for almost 18yrs, I've been through a lot of it and have seen a lot of oil analysis reports. Supertech is a decent oil for the price. I wouldn't do extended drain intervals on this particular engine and therefore don't want to waste an expensive oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reading all this , it make me feel ok about my 2017 pathfinder, I bought new 2017 currently 41K on it , done all oil changes to dealer just for the safe side and even done before even hit 4500 k between oil changes , and I’m so glad I purchased 2400$ Extended warranty till 120 K bumper to bumper , so far is running ok , they just perform the ABS Module recall ,I guess time will tell

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yikes. Glad I have a 2013. 195k and engine runs fine. <knocks wood>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here I purchased my 2018 as an ex rental from Enterprise and I have tried everything to stop smoking. Thicker oil multiple oil changes. I have given up we drive our 2011 Camry now and I just make my car payments and leave it parked

·
Registered
679 Posts
Same here I purchased my 2018 as an ex rental from Enterprise and I have tried everything to stop smoking. Thicker oil multiple oil changes. I have given up we drive our 2011 Camry now and I just make my car payments and leave it parked
Assuming you're not talking about yourself smoking, which you may have taken up on account of this Nissan...

Is it still happening only when you brake or turn hard? My thoughts on that is oil pooling in the upper intake and getting forced into the cylinders from the G-forces. Possible PCV system problem maybe? I dunno.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts