Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my new Pathfinder this week. I want to buy dedicated winter tires and rims. The stock tires and rims are 18 inch with 235/65/18 so the tire height is 30". Tire Rack recommends 17 inch rims for winter tires. I would like to use 16 inch rims with 255/70/16's which would have a height of 30.5". Any idea if 16" rims will clear the front suspension components?

thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
198 Posts
I will be picking up my new Pathfinder this week. I want to buy dedicated winter tires and rims. The stock tires and rims are 18 inch with 235/65/18 so the tire height is 30". Tire Rack recommends 17 inch rims for winter tires. I would like to use 16 inch rims with 255/70/16's which would have a height of 30.5". Any idea if 16" rims will clear the front suspension components?

thanks,

Rich
I recently purchased rims and tire package from Tire Rack. I just installed them this weekend and fits perfectly. I ended up buying the P235/70R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 XL (same tire diameter). I don't think 16" rims will fit as my 17" just barely clears the brake calipers by only about 4mm (the minimum clearance recommended). I also didn't go with the recommended 245 tire width that they suggested. I called them to ask why they recommend wider tires and they informed me that the 245's are readily available, but the 235 will work as well, including load rating. I would trust Tire Rack as they do a lot of research on fitments. See photo.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
I also didn't go with the recommended 245 tire width that they suggested. I called them to ask why they recommend wider tires and they informed me that the 245's are readily available, but the 235 will work as well, including load rating. I would trust Tire Rack as they do a lot of research on fitments.
They probably recommend the 245s because besides load rating, you also have to take lateral stability into account. You may find that the 235s will be a bit wonkey when you take corners, especially with a higher vehicle like an SUV.

Pankey, I'd stick with the 17s as hcmah has suggested for the reasons he stated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They probably recommend the 245s because besides load rating, you also have to take lateral stability into account. You may find that the 235s will be a bit wonkey when you take corners, especially with a higher vehicle like an SUV.

Pankey, I'd stick with the 17s as hcmah has suggested for the reasons he stated.
+1. Not only that, a 16 on a tall SUV looks disproportionate IMO. While I was still in NY, I used 18s as dedicated winter tires. It really depend on the width of the tires you chose and the rating of your winter set up. Bridgestone Bliazaks are really good on SUVs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just remembered that Tire Rack had emphasized that 16" will not fit the new Pathfinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts