Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due for my 15k service and see Nissan suggest flushing the brake fluid. Anyone here do this yet? It seems really early for such a service. I called my purchasing dealer and they want $170. I then called a dealer a little further away and got a much lower price of $110.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just performed our 11,250 mile service. For the 15,000 mile service I have the a/c filter already and am going to change the gear oil also. I can not do the transmission service since you need a consult. I am a master automotive technician by trade. I work at a Lexus Dealership and have been there since September 1993 (also master Lexus certified). We typically do a brake fluid flush every 30,000 miles. I was shocked to see Nissan wanted it done at 15,000 miles. I perform all services that I can do with out the need for a consult. So far vehicle has been awesome. It is a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Premium in Brilliant Silver. Fully loaded and accessorized by me. We love this vehicle. I would take this over a Lexus RX any day.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just performed our 11,250 mile service. For the 15,000 mile service I have the a/c filter already and am going to change the gear oil also. I can not do the transmission service since you need a consult. I am a master automotive technician by trade. I work at a Lexus Dealership and have been there since September 1993 (also master Lexus certified). We typically do a brake fluid flush every 30,000 miles. I was shocked to see Nissan wanted it done at 15,000 miles. I perform all services that I can do with out the need for a consult. So far vehicle has been awesome. It is a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum Premium in Brilliant Silver. Fully loaded and accessorized by me. We love this vehicle. I would take this over a Lexus RX any day.
That seems like way to **** much service for 15000 miles. Seems like Nissans are shitty or Nissan is trying to make mucho dinero on un needed services at ridiculous intervals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the gear oil change so soon? Tow a lot?

I plan on waiting for the 30k service to have the brakes flushed. I found the dealer 15 miles away offers the cabin filter for $20, so I will do that myself. Being I am taking it in for the oil change and tire rotation tomorrow what is your thoughts on synthetic oil vs regular oil and 3750 or 7500 service intervals? I will be visiting a different dealer this time and they offer mobil reg oil or M1 or Nissan ester oil. I think the price difference was about $6 per qt more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have always used synthetic lubricants in all of my families vehicles and my parents. When I have had to tear apart a Lexus engine, the ones who were using synthetic oil were much cleaner. Also synthetic oil can withstand extremes of everything better than conventional oil. I do not have the Nissan recommended maintenance guide in front of me so I can not quote it. My wife and daughters are at a play. However on all of my vehicles I have always changed the gear oil, engine oil, a/c filter, engine air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid and rotate the tires for my 15,000 service. I have not done so on my Pathfinder yet. Not at 15,000 miles. Some of the mentioned items wont be done on the Pathfinder due to it is a much newer vehicle and less stuff is mentioned in the maintenance guide. However on my 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, that is what I do every 15,000 miles. I just pretty much perform what ever the extreme service is from the Nissan maintenance guide. I can tell you that it is recommended for a transfer case and rear differential service on an RX for example. I have done this for some customers who want to follow the Lexus maintenance guide. If you could see what the fluid looks like when it comes out at 15,000 miles. Completely black, lots of shavings stuck to the drain magnet. I can not wait to see what the Pathfinder looks like so I can compare to the Lexus brand. I have been Amsoil products in everything I and my parents own. Unless it specifically states something different. For example the CVT fluid is NS-3 I believe. Amsoil does make a CVT fluid that I would not mind using, however it believe it is for NS-2. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Haven't gotten to the 15k service on my 2013 Pathfinder yet. After a service around 25k miles on my 2010 370Z the service guy suggested changing brake fluid "soon" as it was getting cloudy. I've never changed brake fluid on any car short of 100k miles and started thinking scam, but did some research and it seems to be common practice now to do more frequent changes depending on condition of the brake fluid and/or it is a more frequent service item. Better safe than sorry so I had the brake fluid changed at the 28k oil change. They also wanted to change the cabin air filter - for $79.00. Couldn't see that happening. Got a filter from NAPA for $20.00 and found a good DIY video on the370z.com forum. Gotta remove the glove box on the Z to get to it, but no big deal. The old filter was pretty nasty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also looked at the service manual more closely. It seems for non severe driving it is 30k for brake fluid. I picked up the cabin filter at that dealer for $20 and installed myself. It is very easy on the PF. just remove the passenger side left kick panel....15 min the first time.

We are too looking at a 370z roadster. Probably wait a couple years though. I found a couple really nice used 2010's w/ 45k miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
One other thing that no one so far hasn't mentioned.... brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture.. therefore cars nowadays have a lot more parts i.e. abs pumps, sensors, etc that are a lot more technical parts than years ago with all the electronic communications between bcm, ecm's, etc. almost all manufactures recommend it around 15k. When it comes to you stopping what price would you pay???? Just saying...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I agree with you. Actually this was the explanation I got from the second dealer I talked to. Since we are not in a mountainous area or tow they suggested the regular interval of 30k, I plan on doing that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, I agree with you. Actually this was the explanation I got from the second dealer I talked to. Since we are not in a mountainous area or tow they suggested the regular interval of 30k, I plan on doing that.

Being a Master Tech I would say 30K is fine. But that's my opinion..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have always used synthetic lubricants in all of my families vehicles and my parents. When I have had to tear apart a Lexus engine, the ones who were using synthetic oil were much cleaner. Also synthetic oil can withstand extremes of everything better than conventional oil. I do not have the Nissan recommended maintenance guide in front of me so I can not quote it. My wife and daughters are at a play. However on all of my vehicles I have always changed the gear oil, engine oil, a/c filter, engine air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, transmission fluid and rotate the tires for my 15,000 service. I have not done so on my Pathfinder yet. Not at 15,000 miles. Some of the mentioned items wont be done on the Pathfinder due to it is a much newer vehicle and less stuff is mentioned in the maintenance guide. However on my 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, that is what I do every 15,000 miles. I just pretty much perform what ever the extreme service is from the Nissan maintenance guide. I can tell you that it is recommended for a transfer case and rear differential service on an RX for example. I have done this for some customers who want to follow the Lexus maintenance guide. If you could see what the fluid looks like when it comes out at 15,000 miles. Completely black, lots of shavings stuck to the drain magnet. I can not wait to see what the Pathfinder looks like so I can compare to the Lexus brand. I have been Amsoil products in everything I and my parents own. Unless it specifically states something different. For example the CVT fluid is NS-3 I believe. Amsoil does make a CVT fluid that I would not mind using, however it believe it is for NS-2. I hope this helps.
AMSOIL CVT fluid is also rated for NS-3. The issue now is the newer pathfinders do not have a dipstick attached to the dipstick tube cap. you take the cap off and boom nothing there!! So I guess one could warm up the transmission, by driving around, then warm up your CVT fluid (i.e AMSOIL) in the oven or something, and then drain from the lower drain plug. then measure how much fluid you drained out and then replace with warm fluid the exact amount. Drive around, then you could do this a couple times to try and change as much as the fluid as possible. the amsoil website has the total fill as 9.3 qts, but I doubt you would get all that out with the drain method.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dealer had told me to replace brake fluid at 15k miles but i had inspected it and it was clean so I passed. Will do it at 30k miles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a Motive pressure bleeder which I regularly use on all of my vehicles every few years.

I just buy a liter of the basic Valvoline DOT3 brake fluid. Many budget racers use it without issue because it's cheap, widely available and has fairly high boiling points. A normal flush will use most of the 1 liter/quart bottle. And as always, I use a turkey baster to remove as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as possible before I refill and begin the flush.

The following kit will work with most of the vehicles on the road, and at $65, it's already cheaper that what some of the job quotes I've seen some of you post.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/coll...eeder-kits-power-bleeders-import-bleeder-kits

I recommend using it to 15psi, no more. Don't waste your time or money on one of the vacuum bleeders.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,879 Posts
...And as always, I use a turkey baster to remove as much of the old fluid from the reservoir as possible before I refill and begin the flush...
Just don't put it back into the kitchen drawer when you're done. :sFun_whistle:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just don't put it back into the kitchen drawer when you're done. :sFun_whistle:
AHH! So THAT is why the turkey always tastes funny! :redface:

To everyone else, just get a cheap one (Turkey Baster) from your local dollar store and keep it with your bleeder kit. The Motive bleeder and all of the accessories pack away cleanly inside a plastic Cat Litter pail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That seems like way to **** much service for 15000 miles. Seems like Nissans are shitty or Nissan is trying to make mucho dinero on un needed services at ridiculous intervals.
Nissans are shitty. We just bought a brand spanking new 2020 Pathfinder, Rock Creek Edition, it has 17,000miles,radio is broken,AC is spotty, enertainment package doesnt work, dealer wont repair. Says he doesnt know whats wrong. gimmee a break. Gonna trade it for a Chevy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's preventative maintenance. There's a giant difference in cars whose owners ignore all of this vs owners who don't. They wonder why they have to replace brake calipers and lines later on.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,237 Posts
This thread is ancient, but like said, is changing brake fluid by itself as standard maintenance beneficial for your standard daily-driver? I live in the rust belt and have had dealer techs and otherwise say they'll do it if I want to, but it's not as much of an issue in cooler, less humid climates as it is in hot/humid climates. Who knows. Brake components fail because of the rust and corrosion for me, which will then require new fluid put into the system.

·
Administrator
2015 Pathfinder SL - Tech 4WD
3,163 Posts
I don't flush/replace the brake fluid that often, maybe once every 100-140k km (62-87k miles) so basically once in the vehicle's lifetime (with me).
Not saying this is good or what you should do but do have to say that I recently replaced the brake/clutch fluid on my son's Mazda 6 (or my Mazda 6, don't really know, he just took over it), and after that the brakes felt awesome, super responsive, now just need to barely touch the pedal when before you had to put more pressure on it. The clutch (which shares the same fluid deposit) is also much softer now. Odometer was at 266k km (165k miles), not sure if the previous owner ever replaced it.

Fluids, like everything else, degrade and lose their properties over time. IMO, replacing it every 15k miles (24k km) as suggested previously by a dealer on this old thread, is excessive but definitely it should not be ignored.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts