Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our used 14' for a year with no problems other than a battery issue that the dealer paid for. Two weeks ago my husband let me MIL drive our car for a day and her being who she is just assumed it was 85 and filled our tank. I haven't noticed any shuddering or anything like that until yesterday my miles to empty said I had 50 miles to go on it. The gauge was not at the low end mark just at the near 1/4 tank and so I decided to stop in and get gas on my way home from some errands. I fill it up with 87. It only takes 13.3 gallons we have a 19 gallon tank and we are averaging 20.8 MPG right now. Gas to empty then reads at 345 which would mean 16.58 gallons not the 19 which is how big the tank is. I always remember filling up and it being 400 which is what we should be getting at 20,8 MPG. Then today the gauge is not dropping.

I'm really worried that gas that she put in dis something stupid to our car. Is there a way to test out what could be going on is it just a simple sensor issue? If I get a fuel system cleaner will that fix it? UGH I am hoping it's not major and I have to call GEICO to see if they cover stupid human error issues with gas. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,954 Posts
MPG can change depending on the type of fuel you use. It is possible that the PF gets less MPG with 85 than with 87 and the computer might still have that parameter in it's memory therefore telling you get a reading of 345 vs the usual 400.
Give it some time and it should be back to normal... whatever its normal is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both I read through the threads and for now I'll keep an eye on the gauge it started working again today, we do park on an incline in our driveway at the moment due to a remodel we are doing. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it evens itself out. We definitely don't have the other issues that people were experiencing in the two threads. Thank you both I probably sounded like a crazed lunatic above but we really love our car and didn't want a huge major repair if it was that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The rental 18 Pathfinder has a range of just over three hundred miles when I picked it up and hit the highway. After the first fill up on the highway it had a range of 490 miles.
Range reported by the car depends on usage.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
That is true. On our recent camping trip, it was showing only 125 miles range after a fill up pulling our trailer. Once we got back to our normal routine, it was higher. Also, the numbers don't decrease quite so rapidly once the vehicle realizes that there's nothing attached to it's butt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts