Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have been looking at a 2014 Pathfinder SL and have been working with a dealership here in Ottawa. Originally when I asked about financing they said the rate was 1.9% for between a 24-60 month term, but are now offering 0%.

Are there any hidden fees with a 0% rate, as I've heard some companies have a hidden credit fee in there. Also, does it make sense they are offering 0% for a 2014 when they are trying to get rid of the 2013 models or do they just really want my business?

Thanks!
Lorraine

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any fees would have to be disclosed, they can't sneak them in. It would be worth your time to run the numbers through a loan calculator. I found rebates and low credit union rate was the way to go for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any fees would have to be disclosed, they can't sneak them in. It would be worth your time to run the numbers through a loan calculator. I found rebates and low credit union rate was the way to go for me.
Read your contract very carefully and run the numbers yourself. Don't assume that they can't sneak anything in on you. Don't sign anything that you haven't read and don't fully understand as much of a pain as it can be when you just want it to be done and over with.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about it. If its a Nissan dealer I don't think they will try to screw you over with the numbers. That doesn't mean you should take a good look at it.

Any odd fees should be questioned. And since its 0% financing you should be able to easily calculate if the payments are accurate.

0% financing is a great deal. Who wants to pay for interest?!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, watch out for the typical scam and up sells like maintenance plans (not a scam but tend to be more pricey than other options), insurance plans that only run with the manufacturers or don't cover anything useful (usually the only ones worth it are an official Nissan extended warranty), window etching is something that they will bundle into the sticker price and either not disclose or gloss over, there are a lot of things to look out for just make sure that you know what your paying for and that everything adds up because dealerships get creative with ways to make extra revenue.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Please take the time to read the threads here about the CVT problems in the 2013 and 2014 Pathfinders before making your decision. I wish I had known of the CVT problems before I bought mine - would have saved me 9 months of trouble, imposition and worry.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
As long as there is no pre-payment penalty, it's a good deal. Just beware though, that 0% financing is generally in lieu of a rebate. If they mentioned any kind of a rebate in your negotiations, they likely not also offer the 0% too. It's one or the other.

In my case, I took a 6.9% financing deal that I just have to make 3 payments on in order to get a $1500 rebate package. Then I intend to pay it off. Strangely, there was only a $500 rebate if you paid cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have followed these issues very closely and have done tons of research. I just can't bring myself to purchase any of the Pathfinder's competitors as I feel I'd be sacrificing more than the small chance the Pathfinder I get will have these issues.

·
Administrator
2013 Pathfinder SL, Connecticut, USA
4,771 Posts
I have followed these issues very closely and have done tons of research. I just can't bring myself to purchase any of the Pathfinder's competitors as I feel I'd be sacrificing more than the small chance the Pathfinder I get will have these issues.
As long as you go into this with eyes wide open knowing the issues and follow your instincts, you'll probably be okay. You can drive yourself nuts by overthinking this. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't see the dealership trying to rip you off but at the same time it makes me nervous when a deal seems too good to be true. If you have a lawyer friend you can always get them to look over the contract. Otherwise you should just look over it carefully, and ask the dealer too. If you ask a straight to the point question they will either be up front with you or you be able to tell if they are lying about something.

let us know how it all turns out.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
As long as you go into this with eyes wide open knowing the issues and follow your instincts, you'll probably be okay. You can drive yourself nuts by overthinking this. :)
Dealing with the issues can be a PITA but as the bigger issues get worked out, it seems buying a PF NOW and in the not too distant future should be worry-free. I would take the chance

·
Registered
442 Posts
Dealing with the issues can be a PITA but as the bigger issues get worked out, it seems buying a PF NOW and in the not too distant future should be worry-free. I would take the chance
As someone mentioned before, the other issue to consider is that to get a lower promotional APR, you have to 1). Have excellent credit and 2). Often give up one of the promotional Cash back rebates to qualify for it.

In our case, our excellent credit got us a 2.99% rate on 72 months from NMAC. If I wanted to give up the $500 NMAC rebate, we could've gotten a 1.99% rate at 60 months. When I mentioned to him we'll stick with the 2.99% since the loan will probably move to our credit union anyway since they are offering 1.75%, he balked and lowered our rate to 2.29% at 72 months, and we kept the rebate. We'll still probably move our loan to our credit union, especially since they run a "$250 off your auto loan if you refinance with us" promotion twice a year, but it was nice to see the finance guy squirm in his seat a little and shave off .70% in the hopes we stay with NMAC for the long term. :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
As someone mentioned before, the other issue to consider is that to get a lower promotional APR, you have to 1). Have excellent credit and 2). Often give up one of the promotional Cash back rebates to qualify for it.

In our case, our excellent credit got us a 2.99% rate on 72 months from NMAC. If I wanted to give up the $500 NMAC rebate, we could've gotten a 1.99% rate at 60 months. When I mentioned to him we'll stick with the 2.99% since the loan will probably move to our credit union anyway since they are offering 1.75%, he balked and lowered our rate to 2.29% at 72 months, and we kept the rebate. We'll still probably move our loan to our credit union, especially since they run a "$250 off your auto loan if you refinance with us" promotion twice a year, but it was nice to see the finance guy squirm in his seat a little and shave off .70% in the hopes we stay with NMAC for the long term. :cool:
they want you to stick around for 3 months and then they get their kickback. I refi'd about 10 days after I left the finance office, CU gave me 200$ and 3 months no payments.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I began negotiating our 2013 Pathfinder SV when there were no financing offers, but didn't get down to the price I was looking for. The last day of that month I had 3 dealers call and offer the price I wanted, but I was out of town.

The next month NMAC was offering 0% up to 60 months or .9% for 72 months, but that was in lieu of a $1k rebate that was included in the price I'd negotiated. I emailed the 3 dealers and one was willing to sell at the same price even with $1k less in rebates ($1k less profit) with the promo APR.

Also, the NMAC requirement to qualify for that offer was tier 0-3 credit, and I found this tier chart elsewhere online:

580-619 - Tier 4
620-649 - Tier 3
650-689 - Tier 2
690-729 - Tier 1
730+ - Tier 0

No idea if this is perfectly accurate, but my CreditKarma.com (free score estimate site) score matched my paperwork precisely. Obviously you don't have to have perfect credit for the promo APR, and actually it is probably the best deal for someone who barely qualifies for tier 3 since the bank/CU auto loan rate would probably be up 4-5% higher.

·
Registered
440 Posts
they want you to stick around for 3 months and then they get their kickback.
Very true... my sister just financed with NMAC to get the captive rebate, even though she had an insurance check to pay off the car. I think she said the fine print indicates that you can only pay off 50% of the principal per month for the first 3 months.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The CVT issues I believe will be resolved eventually. Nissan is just trying to find the cheapest way to do so.

I wouldn't let it be a reason not to buy the Pathfinder but I would keep an eye out for it and even bring it up with the dealer and ask what they are doing to fix the CVT issues. And what happens if you Pathfinder has the issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts