Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No air flow out front vents. Rear vents blowing air.
No power to blower motor
Frosted/frozen A/C fluid tube

More details:
So we’re on a road trip in Texas (it’s hot & humid!) and the front A/C vents stopped blowing last night. The mid/rear A/C is still getting air flow, even the seat coolers, but not the front vents. I thought it was the motor blower (under glove box), so I checked and it wasn’t working/spinning. I replaced it with an AutoZone motor blower in stock. Still not working. I checked the 15 amp fuses (for motor blower) near the driver side door and they both looked good. Any other fuses to check under the hood?

Popped the hood open and found the cooling fluid line is frosted/frozen. Any ideas what that might mean when combined with a motor blower that isn’t working?

I’m thinking it might be the power module (motor blower resistor) but not sure. The location / replacement of that looks like I might need some more tools than I have on me during this road trip. I can take it to a dealer but that might take a lot of time out of our trip and wanted to check here to see if anyone had any ideas on what else it might be?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum TraceBusta.

When my SO’s ‘06 Pathy fan quit blowing, I got into all kinds of stupid stuff taking things apart. Turned out to be the blower motor resistor. Easy peasy fix on her ‘06.

There are free downloadable (pdf) factory service manuals available online. A link may be available on this forum. The one for her ‘06 gave pretty clear instructions on how to replace the resistor.

Seems easy to find some basic tools, where ever you are. Lowe’s stores have craftsman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum TraceBusta.

When my SO’s ‘06 Pathy fan quit blowing, I got into all kinds of stupid stuff taking things apart. Turned out to be the blower motor resistor. Easy peasy fix on her ‘06.

There are free downloadable (pdf) factory service manuals available online. A link may be available on this forum. The one for her ‘06 gave pretty clear instructions on how to replace the resistor.

Seems easy to find some basic tools, where ever you are. Lowe’s stores have craftsman.
Thanks for the tip, I would love to get this resolved tomorrow.

Today we tried with all the settings and found if we turned off circulation, put it on fresh air mode, then turned off the “A/C” button, but left the rear in “Auto” it would allow a cold air draft in through the front vents. The only problem is it wasn’t effective unless we were going 65+.

This evening I’m looking through all kinds of YouTube videos and nothing really shows where the location of the resistor is on the 2014s or similar year models. I’m going to assume this 3rd generation hasn’t had This issue too often, otherwise there would be more content posted for solutions.

The closest I could find was for the ‘14 murano, looks like they had to remove gas & brake pedals, then reached up through very small area to unplug and plug in the new resistor.
I suppose I could do that but **** why did they make it so hard to access?

Anyway, I’ll see what I can do tomorrow. Thanks for the

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Trace,

Try this link. See if you can find the appropriate factory service manual for your truck. It might be under the chapter ‘Automatic AC’. You’ll need to find the blower motor resistor there. (My SO’s was under ‘Manual AC’. But it sounds like you have a fancy rig). They used to be free to download, don’t know if they still are. I downloaded every chapter to my iPhone. Ended up airdropping them to my iPad, for easier browsing.

There are two chapters for ‘Heating and Air Conditioning’ etc. You’ll need to download them. Each chapter starts out as if you have the Nissan computer to help you diagnose the problem. But about half way through the chapters they have instructions for this of us without the Nissan computer to diagnose AND fix the issues… Well at least for my SO’s ‘06 Pathy…

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Trace,

Try this link. See if you can find the appropriate factory service manual for your truck. It might be under the chapter ‘Automatic AC’. You’ll need to find the blower motor resistor there. (My SO’s was under ‘Manual AC’. But it sounds like you have a fancy rig). They used to be free to download, don’t know if they still are. I downloaded every chapter to my iPhone. Ended up airdropping them to my iPad, for easier browsing.

There are two chapters for ‘Heating and Air Conditioning’ etc. You’ll need to download them. Each chapter starts out as if you have the Nissan computer to help you diagnose the problem. But about half way through the chapters they have instructions for this of us without the Nissan computer to diagnose AND fix the issues… Well at least for my SO’s ‘06 Pathy…

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for that very useful link! I took a look through both the documents pertaining to the HVAC system and found that there isn't a resistor for the front blower motor, just for the rear. I think I was able to narrow the problem down to the A/C Auto Amp. I called around to some local dealers and they are all out of stock on that part, I'll have to order one for when I return home.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you replace the compressor recently ?
No, it still has the original compressor. I did replace the dual radiator and condenser fan assembly last year but didn’t need to touch the compressor at the time.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4
1,010 Posts
Typical failure mode of a HVAC blower motor resistor pack is you loose all but high fan speed.

Have you tested for power at the connector the blower motor plugs into? This is where you have to start. If it's not getting power, you have to follow a wiring diagram and work your way upstream.

The HVAC system is pretty complicated on 2013 Pathdinders, given they have 3 different blower motors. One front, one in the console that blows towards the 2nd row, then the one in the back. The back is A/C only.

Some of the HVAC features are controlled by the A/C autoamp which is basically a computer black box. There are threads on it here.

Reactions: ultane
1 - 9 of 9 Posts