Nissan Pathfinder Forum banner

Air Bag in the back

9K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MikiJ 
#1 ·
No - not talking about the wife. :slapping:
Those of you that installed the helper air bags, please provide some info. Looks like Firestone makes them. Are there others? What did you pay? How hard are they to install? One man job or need a helper? Did you mount the air valve somewhere permanent? Where? Did you make a T so you only have 1 valve for both sides or keep 2 separate valves? Is there a reason?What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#3 · (Edited)
There's got to be someone who is using these rear spring helper bags.

Looks like Firestone makes them. Are there others? What did you pay? Found them for $90 at SD Truck Springs.

How hard are they to install? One man job or need a helper? Did you mount the air valve somewhere permanent? Where? Did you make a T so you only have 1 valve for both sides or keep 2 separate valves? Is there a reason? What else do I need to know?
How well are they working?

#6 · (Edited)
I installed a set. I installed the one you mentioned in your post and got them from the place you also mention. (I can't include any brand name or company name because it won't allow me to post). I couldn't really find anything else out there. Easy install. Straightforward instructions. I used the 'T' for a single point connection. I just drilled a hole in the plastic hitch cover for the inflation valve. The system did leak when I first filled it up. I had to disconnect all the lines and clean all the connections. It's holding 30 psi now.

Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

#7 ·
Also seem to remember a post earlier this year of a guy that altered the fittings on the bottom of the airbag.... With some 90s brass fittings or something. To help with the already low clearance, but that may have been when I was looking into it for my sienna van

2017 Pathfinder SL Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx
4816 lbs dry wieght

#9 ·
I called some shops about these bags... Said they will rub on the spring and eventually wear out. One shop said they wrap them first to extend the life.

Also, one of the posts on here said they were too short and listed an alternative part number, not sure which one. I think these bags are 8x4 but a 9x4 would fit better.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I called some shops about these bags... Said they will rub on the spring and eventually wear out.
Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Well at least Firestone backs them with a lifetime warranty:

Ride-Rite, Sport-Rite, Coil-Rite, Level-Rite Kits

Air Springs = Limited Lifetime
• Hardware & Brackets = 2 years

Sure it's limited but if installed correctly, I'd expect them to honor it.

#14 ·
I have installed a set

I installed a set in my Pathy myself. Took me a couple of hours and went with a single Schrader valve mounted on the bumper. Works very well, no problems. If you figure 15% of trailer weight. For tongue = 640 lbs my Pathy was squatting three inches. I didn't like that for several reasons. First and foremost, I use a WDH hitch and the stock config reduces the wt transfer to the front. With the bags, rear end drops about an inch. The loaded Pathy handles better with the transfer wt back on the front end. I run 30 lbs. Air pressure in the bags.

I got mine from Amaz for 108.00. Amaz listing shows an insert about 1" thick included in the kit, these didn't come in my kit. After some careful measurement, I elected to use them as is.

This isn't intended as a recommendation, it's just my experience and results. I have several thousand miles on this config. And am very happy with the results. Happy Trails......

#15 ·
I have installed a set

I installed a set in my Pathy myself. Took me a couple of hours and went with a single Schrader valve mounted on the bumper. Works very well, no problems. If you figure 15% of trailer weight. For tongue = 640 lbs my Pathy was squatting three inches. I didn't like that for several reasons. First and foremost, I use a WDH hitch and the stock config reduces the wt transfer to the front. With the bags, rear end drops about an inch. The loaded Pathy handles better with the transfer wt back on the front end. I run 30 lbs. Air pressure in the bags.

I got mine from Amaz for 108.00. Amaz listing shows an insert about 1" thick included in the kit, these didn't come in my kit. After some careful measurement, I elected to use them as is.

This isn't intended as a recommendation, it's just my experience and results. I have several thousand miles on this config. And am very happy with the results. Happy Trails......
Thanks for the details. Do you remember if you used 8"x4" or 9"x4" bags? Are they AirLift brand? Are they still holding up (since you posted 2 years sago)? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.